アオハライド book club - Volume 5 (September 2020)

September has arrived (at least in Japan), which means now’s a good time to pull out volume 5. If you’re looking for the home thread, that’s over here.

Discussion

Volume 4
Volume 5

Spoilers

For all spoilers, please post the chapter number followed by blurred or hidden text:

for blurred text:
[spoiler]stuff happens[/spoiler]

Spoilers for chapter 17 stuff happens

for hidden text:
[details="spoilers for chapter 18"] More stuff happens [/details]

spoilers for chapter 18

More stuff happens

4 Likes

Pᴀɢᴇ.16

We’re up to only page 16? Pᴀɢᴇ.16.

To keep a pace of one chapter per week, you’ll want to be sure to finish up this 44-page chapter by September 7th.

4 Likes

Placeholder to remind me to read+post tonight soon :relieved:

thoughts on chapter 16 - first half
  • ahh they’re so cute
  • the phrase 着て来て would have helped so much in my first semester of taking Japanese when I was struggling with all the random readings of 着
  • part 2 coming soon
4 Likes

Pᴀɢᴇ.17

Today’s a good day to be starting Pᴀɢᴇ.17. (Although yesterday would have been even better for me, with it having been a holiday where I live.)

3 Likes

No matter how many times it happens, it never ceases to amaze me when my learning a word reading one manga causes a rift in time, altering the creation of another manga I’m reading to use that exact same word, within the next few pages I’ll be reading.

For example, 「いじる」

i-017x 08_846818_846647_1_056_001x

5 Likes

Pᴀɢᴇ.18

If you’re keeping pace at a chapter a week, we’ve halfway through the volume, and our new character has begun to establish himself.

3 Likes

Pᴀɢᴇ.19

Now’s a good time to be working through Pᴀɢᴇ.19 if you’re looking to complete volume 5 in September.

I look forward to getting to know the new guy better, but at the same time feel we still haven’t gotten to really know Kominato…

2 Likes

MFW I haven’t started this volume yet. I just need to catch up with 本好きの下剋上 then I can get back to all the manga 246047986650578955

1 Like

The further behind you are on manga, all the more you have waiting to be enjoyed =D

1 Like

True! I can read the whole thing in one go if I want to!

1 Like

Uh, I’m also way behind :frowning_face: but unlike @Kumirei, I can’t read it all in one go :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Me last week: “I’m going to start taking note of every 気 expression I see, so I can get to understand 気 better.”

Futaba today:

08_846818_846647_1_168_001x

Yay!

(And that’s following soon after encountering 気が遠くなる in Sailormoon a few days ago.)

Side-note: “Kodansha’s Dictionary of Basic Japanese Idioms” has a great section on 気 expressions. The section was originally published in a book titled “Communicating With Ki: The Spirit in Japanese Idioms”.

4 Likes

I’m a few pages into chapter 19 so I’ll try to have it done by tonight! this has been a really funny but also frustrating volume so far (plot-wise)

2 Likes

Finally finished volume 4! Gonna be reading this one in bed tonight!

2 Likes

So I read the first chapter today, and this new boi is looking like trouble 246047986650578955

3 Likes

Ok I read two more chapters and changed my mind. I am on team new boi now. I am sick of Kou being a distant and emotionally unavailable butt!

5 Likes

So I’m way behind :sweat: but trying to catch up without resorting to just reading the English version… Just got done with page 17 and uh oh Kou is just gonna be dumb huh? I hate when this happens, it’s not like you can’t go back and talk to her even if the other guy is there :weary:

Gonna go start the next one :triumph:

3 Likes

I’m done with this volume! Only a month late :sweat_smile:

Ended on a cliffhanger too, now I need to start reading the next one. But no one was surprised by Kou’s friend being a cute girl… I hope there aren’t too many misunderstandings.

Tbh I’m still relying on the English translation quite a bit and I don’t really have time to go over every thing I misunderstand, but I do feel like I’m starting to catch on to some common patterns and such :smile:

1 Like

If there’s anything you’re really unsure on, and don’t have time to look into it, don’t hesitate to post asking about it.

1 Like