文豪ストレイドッグス わん! (Bungou Stray Dogs Wan!) – Volume 1

This is Bungou Stray Dogs comedy manga spin-off Wan! reading club.
This thread is for discussing Volume 1.
Home Thread is here.
Everyone’s welcome, but knowledge of the main series is required to enjoy the spin-off.
(Bungou Stray Dogs itself is not comedy manga. Wikipedia lists it as action/mystery/supernatural.)

Schedule for Volume 1

Week Goal Start Date
Week #1 Chapters 1-3 August 31st
Week #2 Chapters 4-6 September 7th
Week #3 Chapters 7-9 September 14th
Week #4 Chapters 10-12 September 21st
Week #5 Chapters 13-15 September 28th
Week #6 Chapters 16-18 October 5th
Week #7 Chapters 19-21 October 12th

Reminders for Discussion:

1. Please blur/hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]
  2. Feel free to discuss grammar, vocabulary, comprehension questions, as well as interesting plot details
  3. Include references (page, panel, character speech bubble, etc.) so that others can help you
  4. We’re all here to learn and read together, so share your thoughts and ask questions!

Vocabulary List Spreadsheet

1 Like

Week 1: Chapters 1-3
Start Date: 31st August
Next Week: Week 2
Home Thread: Link

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I’m dropping out

0 voters

@anon54313967
@DollyDaydream
@noetune
@icefang97

1 Like

Does anyone need/want a vocab spreadsheet? Wan! has furigana, so checking words should be quick and there are very few of us (probably with very different level of vocab proficiency), but if there is a demand, I will of course create a sheet.

I’m happy enough to just look up words in Jisho, but if others want a vocab sheet I don’t mind helping to fill it in

1 Like

I think a vocab spreadsheet could be good for future reference. I’d be willing to help contribute too if we’re starting one

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree. Looking back at some of the other book clubs it’s interesting to be able to reference their vocab sheets as sort of a leg up on reading the book.

1 Like

I somehow missed the original thread and didn’t even know that this spinoff existed! Thanks for setting this up, will be doing my best to keep up with this, the language level definitely seems doable for me.

2 Likes

Btw, noetune, this is off-topic, but that is a very cute Mafumafu icon. (´ ∀ ` *)

Back to being on-topic, currently downloading the first volume from BookWalker (my first purchase with them, yay!). I’m really glad that they accept PayPal, it made the purchase very simple for me.

1 Like

Yaaaay, one more person! :hugs: Welcome!

In other news, I added the vocab sheet to the first post.

2 Likes

Didn’t get the headstart I had wanted (since I’m also going to try to be in the One Piece group), but I’m starting now. Hoping to get through a few pages this morning before I starting working.

1 Like

Thank you (o^▽^o)

1 Like

I have a first question:

Page 6

What is 原作 in this case? Original BSD manga? Okay, Atsushi does look different here in his tiger form, but everyone looks different, because they are chibi and cute.
Maybe it is about the real life Atsushi Nakajima short story about white tiger, but I think it’s too far-fetched assumption? BSD references to original authors/books aren’t 100% faithful to begin with, so again, it’s something you can say about every character.

I can’t imagine it would be referencing anything else. I think it’s just meant to be a cheeky comment.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree with @anon54313967 I think it’s just a cheeky comment referencing his appearance in the main manga vs his Wan appearance

1 Like

Like the others have already said, yep, it’s referencing the original work (the manga, in this case). Originally made me scratch my head too, until I read a fan translation.

I had a link here for a fan translation, but I removed it for possibly being against forum rules (better safe than sorry).

1 Like

This particular panel absolutely killed me:

Page 14

Atsushi’s face is basically all, “OMG, WE GOTTA CATCH THE SICK INDIVIDUAL WHO DID THIS, WHO WOULD DO SUCH A THING, THIS IS BEYOND MY COMPREHENSION~~”
And Ranpo’s all casually, “But I did dis, tho… (and they were tasty, too!)” (in the panel after this one, of course, which I am too lazy to include this late at night, LOL)

2 Likes

I’m trying to avoid reading fan translation to not be swayed too much by it. :sweat_smile:
And anyway, in that case, it just went with “original story” so it’s still vague :smiley:
Btw, I’m not sure if direct link to fan translation is okay with forum policy.

Re: Page 14

Yeah, I usually don’t agree with fandom viewing Atsushi as completely innocent and gullible, but he certainly is in that case.
But why would Ranpo eat only heads? :smiley: Wouldn’t the filling be most tasty? Did he just really take a pleasure in decapitating them? :thinking:

So I sort of have a question that’s been bugging me. In the last page of the first chapter Dazai says まさにオカン. Jisho says オカン is kansai dialect, so does Dazai regularly use kansai dialect when he speaks? Or is it sort of like the word “y’all” where it’s technically a southern way of speaking but lots of people outside the south use it anyways?

1 Like

It is my second time I’ve seen オカン being used - and the first time was in レンタルおにいちゃん, where the character really was speaking fully in Kansai-ben.
Unfortunately, it’s too few samples for me to really know how commonly it is being used :pensive:
But I don’t think Dazai usually speaks in Kansai dialect, unless I totally missed it somehow.

Btw, his real life counterpart was from Aomori Prefecture. In the second Bungou Stray Dogs novel - that one that was adapted as a short arc with Oda and Ango in the second season of anime - there is an opening quote from real life Oda Sakunosuke. And Oda Sakunosuke specifically says there that real life Dazai was speaking in Tsugaru dialect :smiley:
So if anything, Dazai should use Tsugaru. But I think that in Bungou Stray Dogs, he really just uses normal Japanese.

2 Likes

Sorry for the wait I had other bookclub starting at the same time so I did not know if I would have time for this one. After reflexion I will probably have so count me in. The grammar seem hard but I will see when I start reading for real tomorow.

1 Like