Week 11: フルーツバスケット ・ Fruits Basket 🍏 🍇 🍑 🍒 🍐 🍊 🧺

Join the Beginner Book Club Book Club here!

Home Thread: フルーツバスケット ・ Fruits Basket :green_apple: :grapes: :peach: :cherries: :pear: :tangerine: :basket:

Week 11

Fruits Basket 1

Start Date: August 29th
Previous Part: Week 10
Next Part: Week 12

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Pages (old) Pages (Collector’s) Page Count
Week 11 August 29th Chapter 10 97 - 127 (v2) 303 - 333 31

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

4 Likes

Oh, I just realized I’m a bit behind, but I should finish this week’s chapter by the end of the weekend. I’ve been lacking motivation to do anything all week… bit of a downer, but I should get back on track with the new week. :blush:

6 Likes

Page 103: とても厳しそうな方ですし なにやら言葉の端々怒ってらっしゃる風で

He seems like a very strict/serious person. For some reason all his words are in an angry/mad manner?

I do get the individual parts, but don’t get how they’re glued together.

Page 114: 関わらなければなんて後悔だけは 絶対にしません するはずがないのです
I think it means something alone the lines of I don’t regret being involved with the Souma family, but it’s so confusing

breakdown

関わらなければなんて後悔だけは 絶対にしません するはずがないのです

関わらなければ - to be involved with, negative, ~eba = If I’m not involved

なんて後悔だけは = I never really get the なんて when it’s in front of things like that… = things like/what regret, no idea where to stick the だけ

絶対にしません = absolutely not have I guess, … though now when I go through it like this, it doesn’t really make sense at all with all the negatives, I can’t wrap my head around it

するはずがないのです = No idea other than はずがない = it cannot be that…, and のです = the reason is that - but what is the する doing there?

Please help lol

Fruits Basket really isn’t all that easy, imo. I can’t really describe what it is, but I think it’s using a lot of kana only words that are often strung together? Not sure, but compared to the other book clubs I’ve participated in, this one really is quite tough in terms of parsing sentences.

Page 103

These two panels are connected to the one in the top left corner, where she expresses her surprise that he has this decorated picture of the woman in his home (you see the flowers next to the picture frame on the shelf?). The two sentences you quoted are her explanations on why she is surprised:

• because he seems to be so strict (maybe you overlooked し a the end of that part? that’s the “because” here)
  • [because] his words always sound as if he is angry (here she trails off before the verb and therefore before し, but we can still assume it is there because it is normally used as a kind of enumeration of reasons)
Page 114

I think it makes more sense to read them from right to left, i.e. in the order: top - bottom - middle left

This is probably not a word-by-word exact translation but I would go with something like:
関わらなければなんて - just to think of being not involved
後悔だけはするはずがないのです - it’s impossible to even have regrets

絶対にしません
“I will never have [regrets]” (see zettaini - Jisho.org)

1 Like

I indeed unintentionally ignored the し at the end of the sentence. :smiley:

Thanks, helped me clear up those two things. Sometimes the manga really makes it hard to follow the order of the text lol

1 Like