Week 26 February 13th Chapters 16-17 33
Week 27 February 20th Chapters 18-20 46
Week 28 February 27th Chapters 21-23 42
Week 29 March 6th Chapter 24/ Epilogue/ Story 1 47
Week 30 March 13th Stories 2-3 30
Week 31 March 20th Story 4-End 47

Volume 4+

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle_officer:

Member List

Set your participation status here.

11 Likes

Are you planning to read 本好きの下剋上 with the book club?

• Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • Not sure
  • No

0 voters

If so, which version will you be reading?

• eBook
  • Paperback

0 voters

3 Likes

After looking at the reading schedule again, I think I might start early actually :eyes::sweat_drops:

I feel like the hardest part of Japanese books is the start of the book.

4 Likes

:ok_hand:

I agree that the start is the hardest part, that’s why I thought the progressive speed increase was a good strategy. But starting early works too!

5 Likes

I am super looking forward to lurking these threads aggressively to see what you all think of the books. The anime gave me such mixed feelings.

5 Likes

I think that the anime makes マイン act way more childish than she is in the original story (although there indeed are moments where you can’t tell that she supposed to be an adult, especially when books are involved ^^') but it might be my bad memory or nuances in the way it is written in Japanese that were not properly translated in the version I read.
Also, I don’t like the way they drew faces in the anime :unamused: (not that it matters :stuck_out_tongue:)

3 Likes

I know you just copied and pasted my table for the schedule, but now that we have a start date can you add the dates to the table? Or if you make the post a wiki I’m more than happy to clean it up so it’s closer in style to the 獣の奏者 table.

2 Likes

Coming up next: Radish8 having mixed feelings about the threads

I don’t have time right now, so I made a wiki :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You made the second post a wiki instead of the first. :slight_smile:

1 Like

*groans in romaji*

Should be fixed!

4 Likes

One week 'til we start! Who’s excited?

I’m both excited and scared!

14 Likes

I’m excited! :high_touch:

I’m trying to finish SAO 4 within the next week, only 1/3 left :caught_durtling: I’ve gotten more used to a faster pace, so maybe the reading schedule won’t be too bad after all :laughing:

5 Likes

Mistakes were made and I realized I need to read more to get to my Japanese reading goal for the year. It’s looking difficult but since I’m very stubborn I’ve decided to try to to join this club (the math said I’d need to read at this pace anyway, and in this house we believe in the math, so at least this way I have a place to ask questions if I get too lost).

No promises. I’m just going to stick around for the first ~2 weeks and then see if it works out for me.

13 Likes

Hi folks! I recently found WaniKani and am delighted by the prospect of the book clubs here. There’s no way I have the dedication to go through all of WaniKani after passing N1 several years ago (much respect to those here who went through that grind!)… but I hope it’s okay if I join in on the advanced book club anyway?

15 Likes

More than welcome to! Actually there’s quite a bunch of people here who don’t use WK but are active in the forums. So no need to be shy :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Being perpetually level 1 is the embodiment of the proverb 能ある鷹は爪を隠す :smile:

Me I think? I’ve been holding off on starting until the determined date so I’m not even sure how the book is yet. The pace looks like a challenge for sure but I think it should be manageable. Hoping it grabs my attention so I can stick with it! I have a bunch of other books to read that I’ve been putting off for a while.

5 Likes

Yeppers. :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to starting, but am a bit nervous with the pace. Work has been absolutely awful lately, but I’ll do my best. :muscle:

8 Likes

I was so excited that I started reading today. :sweat_smile: But I think I will be lagging a bit behind everyone else anyway so I figure a few days’ headstart won’t hurt anything. Really excited about the book and the challenge of reading it! :grinning:

4 Likes

How’s the difficulty so far?

I’m only on page 2 of the prologue so I’m sure this will change but so far it hasn’t been too difficult at all. There have been several words that I’ve had to look up but the grammar so far hasn’t been crazy complicated.

4 Likes