聖☆おにいさん・Saint Young Men 😇 (Intermediate Book Club)

I see! Mine is… older :upside_down_face:

Can’t find the invoice any more, but I’m pretty sure it was also free at that time.

3 Likes

I wish they would make physical manga free too

10 Likes

I mean while living in japan they were basically free. Go into book off and buy them for 100Yen a pop and when you read them just return em and get 70Yen back… crazy system they got going there.
I miss my Book offs so much :frowning_face:
Importing is crazy expensive compared to that so I at least try to save with some digital stuff when I’m not certain i will enjoy it 100%. First manga volume is a perfect example. Can still buy it if I’m crazy in love with it afterwards.

9 Likes

If anyone from the U.S. is joining and looking to buy a physical copy, Kinokuniya have reopened for pick-up across the country.

1 Like

Keep meaning to give this a read, but nothing’s pushed me over the edge.

I might join in. I think last time I glanced at it, I was kind of put off by how long the series was (like more than nine volumes?) for what felt like a limited premise. Even if I’m not in love with it, though, that’s a pretty reasonable pace, so I guess I could just read it for the book club in the background.

It’s currently 18 volumes and still going (last volume was released in May). :sweat_smile:

No idea for long this stays interesting, but I’ve read the first two chapters and thought they were quite funny. After that I’d decide on a case-by-case basis anyways.

2 Likes

Thanks! I guess I can always at least read the first volume and jump off! I need to get more used to the idea of browsing manga and just finding value in having experienced a series/author, rather than making everything a commitment.

3 Likes

Here you go!

Week Start Date Chapter Pages (physical) Pages (ebook) Page Count
Week 1 August 15th Chapter 1 + 2 3 - 26 5 - 27 20
Week 2 August 22nd Chapter 3 + 4 27 - 62 29 - 63 32
Week 3 August 29th Chapter 5 + 6 63 - 98 65 - 99 32
Week 4 September 5th Chapter 7 + 8 99 - 134 101 - 135 32
4 Likes

Thank you! That’s what I had suspected, good to get a confirmation on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good luck to the participants; I have the first volume, but it would be far to laborious for me without furigana right now. When I stop needing to look up 95% of kanji in manga I’ll be excited to come back to the archives of this club as I read it. :smiley:

6 Likes

Picked the book on my last trip to book off… so… I guess I’ll be joining in the end.

8 Likes

Aaaaaand we are go!

9 Likes

Oh, already? Just gotta work out where I’ve put my copy…

1 Like

Time‘s flying, innit? Was surprised as well…

2 Likes

This week we will reach cruising speed, with two full chapters! Will we be able to keep up with researching jokes and exploring buddhist terms?

5 Likes

Here is our third week, and it’s almost over already!

3 Likes

Thanks for the vocab sheet, really helps, but one question why Bookwalker and not EbookJapan? Is there any difference between them like better android and PC support/Price?

We reached the final week!

3 Likes

Oh sorry, nobody got around to answering your question yet! Bookwalker vs EbookJapan is just a matter of (a) my personal preference and (b) based on some discussions in the forums, also the preference of quite a number of other readers who are forum members. And so we sort of informally agreed somewhere (I think?) to list Amazon and Bookwalker in the book clubs to give some examples of where to find the books, but we don’t try to list each and every option where you can buy the books. For the price, each of the book dealers run sales every so often; sometimes they are the same on different platforms, sometimes not. So it’s not a general rule of it being cheaper.

Here are some general information threads:

and if you generally search for the shop you’re interested in, you will find lots of information on the forums.

4 Likes

Satisfaction Poll Time!

In the discussions, people seemed a bit underwhelmed with the manga, but many of you have not voiced your opinion yet. Here’s your chance to tell the world what you think about this book!

Have you read 聖☆おにいさん?

• I finished it
  • I’m still reading and I plan on finishing it
  • I don’t plan to finish it
  • I never even started it

0 voters

If you read the book, how would you rate it on a 5 point scale? (1: hated it, 5: loved it)

• Unsure / Didn’t finish

0 voters

If you read the book, how would you rate its difficulty?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know

0 voters

Participation Statistics

Looks like we had a fairly stable number of participants in the middle, with quite the drop at the end:

10 Likes