Advanced Japanese Book Club // Reading 虐殺器官 - Genocidal Organ

Ah don’t worry about it. I guess “graphic” is not the word I was looking for either. I meant that it felt realistic, I guess? On top of that, it’s about kids, with a cute Alice in Wonderland reference for extra impact. That’s much harder for me than actual graphic but unrealistic violence, like you would get in Re:Zero.

That kinda reminds me Monster, inc, when we see a kid falling asleep while watching a horror movie.

I guess I am just weak.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the new submissions! We now have 17 proposals which is a great number for our nice little club. Please check out all of them (old and new) and rate on their difficulty if you haven’t yet done so. We will set up the next poll next week (I’m thinking around Thursday or so) so you have enough time to look at all entries. Stay tuned!

5 Likes

Next week as in today/ tomorrow or in 7 days from now?

I was thinking today actually :sweat_smile: Thanks for reminding me!

Here is the poll list:

Fast: 86―エイティシックス― [2.67]
Fast: アウト (OUT) 上 [2.33]
Fast: クォンタムデビルサーガ アバタールチューナーⅠ [3]
Fast: 狼と香辛料 [2.67]
Fast: マスカレード・ホテル [1.89]
Fast: 風の谷のナウシカ [3.13]
Fast: 海辺のカフカ (上) [2.33]
Fast: 騎士団長殺し 第1部 [2.33]
Fast: すべてがFになる [2.25]
Fast: 化物語(上) [2.8]
Fast: 虐殺器官 - Genocidal Organ [3]
Fast/Hard: 薬屋のひとりごと [3.5]
Hard: 薮の中・将軍 [3.6]
Hard: 檸檬 [3.6]
Hard: 風立ちぬ [3]
Hard: 午後の曳航 [3]
Hard: 人間失格 [3.14]

4 Likes

Thank you! Will poll tonight then.

2 Likes

AND IT’S A POLL! Everyone’s favorite part of the book club*.
As usual, you may choose up to five books .

See the original post for book descriptions.

• Fast: 86―エイティシックス― [2.67]
  • Fast: アウト (OUT) 上 [2.33]
  • Fast: クォンタムデビルサーガ アバタールチューナーⅠ [3]
  • Fast: 狼と香辛料 [2.67]
  • Fast: マスカレード・ホテル [1.89]
  • Fast: 風の谷のナウシカ [3.13]
  • Fast: 海辺のカフカ (上) [2.33]
  • Fast: 騎士団長殺し 第1部 [2.33]
  • Fast: すべてがFになる [2.25]
  • Fast: 化物語(上) [2.8]
  • Fast: 虐殺器官 - Genocidal Organ [3]
  • Fast/Hard: 薬屋のひとりごと [3.5]
  • Hard: 薮の中・将軍 [3.6]
  • Hard: 檸檬 [3.6]
  • Hard: 風立ちぬ [3]
  • Hard: 午後の曳航 [3]
  • Hard: 人間失格 [3.14]

0 voters

• No actual guarantee on the favorite part of the club for the average member.
12 Likes

I just voted for 化物語 since I am reading it already and I wasn’t able to keep up with book clubs before…

3 Likes

Well, things seem to have died down already. I’m just going to keep this open until Monday then.

2 Likes

I’ve still only participated in one book in this club, and I’m not sure I’m up for a 500 page mystery novel either…

1 Like

how fast is fast? if しべてがFになる wins I might give it ago since I already have it…

This book club usually targets 30-45 pages per week for the “fast” books.

2 Likes

I was really hoping one of the books I wasn’t interested in would win. If I can’t keep up with the current book I don’t think I can keep up with this one either :see_no_evil:
I should stay in my own lane and stop trying to play with the advanced kids because I’m really not one of them :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

that’s a bit scary :cold_sweat:

1 Like

I took a stab at a schedule yesterday, and my suggestion would be 13 weeks, with ~40 pages per week. This is of course subject to negotiations among the participants (which I would like to defer to the home thread).

5 Likes

Well it is the advanced book club for a reason! The intermediate book club averages closer to 15 pages per week, but then in this case they couldn’t even consider this book because it’s so long.

6 Likes

I was about to say that the Bookwalker link in this nomination post is broken, but seems like Bookwalker just stopped selling the book…?

1 Like

On the bright side, it has a list of characters with pronunciation

2 Likes

11 weeks with one week per chapter makes a lot more sense!

5 Likes

While that seems an attractive option - are the chapters of roughly equal length? If so, how long are they?

1 Like

Important pages

Lenghts
The average is 44
The last week will be heavy (a little bit) but this is the advanced book club, people can probably handle it

2 Likes