ふらいんぐうぃっち Vol. 6 🧹

Volume 6 Discussion Thread

Start Date: 8th August
Previous: Volume 5
Following: Volume 7

ふらいんぐうぃっち Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Reading Schedule

Start Date           Chapter                                                          Page Numbers   Page Count
August 8th 31 - 初めて魔法記念日 3 - 28 26
August 15th 32 - 天地、夏冬、雪と墨 31 - 54 24
August 22nd 33 - 猫が来ても食休み 57 - 80 24
August 29th 34 - 亀の甲より年の劫 83 - 108 26
September 5th 35 - 複製される街 111 - 136 26
September 12th 36 - ナルナルの貴重な食事風景と捕獲方法 139 - 170 32

Participants

There will be participation polls throughout this discussion thread as we reach each chapter :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Gaaaah I should really get back to that series. At this pace the club will be over before I get volume 3 :sob:

So many clubs, so little time.
keeps reading a book unrelated to any book club

12 Likes

be inspired by Kumirei

Also I think it will take until the end of this calendar year for the club to catch up to the most recently published, so… it’s still well worth it!

10 Likes

A volume a day keeps the clubs at bay

10 Likes

@skymaiden Did anybody even check back with you whether you’d be so kind as to provide us again with the weekly poll threads? Or are you maybe not reading Flying Witch any more? :cry:

3 Likes

Oops nope sorry, I just lost track of time :sweat_smile: This summer heat is frying my brain!

4 Likes

Chapter 31 - 初めて魔法記念日

2020-08-07T15:00:00Z

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

It’s still the 8th in my timezone :sweat_smile: (but only just…)

5 Likes

Haha no worries :slight_smile: Thank you very much!

Same here :slight_smile:

waves across the border :wave:

5 Likes

Glad someone remembered we were starting the new volume this week because I definitely forgot :sweat_smile: what even is time tbh

Kind of want to confirm what Nao's dad is saying at the top of pg 12

He says:
おめだぢやっぱりデギでらのが!?
Which I think “translates” to:
お前たちやっぱりできているのか!? (which I took to mean something along the lines of “(as I expected) you and Kei have taken up together, huh???” with definition 5 of できる being intended here)
But I’m not super sure about that weird conjugation or whatever it is that’s going on at the end of that verb there xD

In other news, did Makoto really eat an eyeball on pg 24? :cold_sweat::nauseated_face:
I love the scene on the last page :blush: So magical :sparkles:

4 Likes

I’ve only got the English version, but where did eyeballs come into the conversation? And where do you see what Makoto ate?

1 Like

You don’t see it happen, but she’s clearly eating something and comments about fat seeping out, presumably from whatever’s in her mouth. Then the dad says めべ~~ and she replies めです~~ Not sure what else め could be referring to…

What does it say in the English version, in the bottom left panel? Now I’m curious.

1 Like

“Tasty, eh?” “So tasty.” So perhaps it’s some kinda dialectical うまい > うめ~ > め or something.

4 Likes

Ahhhh, that would be much better. Dialect strikes again xD I didn’t think eyes would typically be part of もつ, but the fact that Makoto repeated it exactly like that threw me off. Not used to dialect coming from her.

2 Likes

I am not really sure, but I think that what Makoto ate is a Japanese scallop. On page 17 Chinatsu receives them from Anzu & co:

Then on page 24, to the left they say ホタテバター ( Japanese scallops with butter, I imagine… ?)

It seems they usually look like this:

Which is similar to what Makoto gets her chopsticks close to:

2 Likes

It’s not really clear which hand is which, but considering there’s only two scallops visible on the grill, and it’s Akane and Inukai who are enthusing about eating them, I’d be willing to posit that Makoto’s hand is the one on the right.

… Not that she appears to have chopsticks at all in that final panel.

And also:

3 Likes

Couldn’t hope for a better chapter to start the new volume. :smile:

According to the ebook reader this whole chapter was about 20% of the book and it took me like half an hour or so to read through it. Quite the improvement compared to the first volume back in October I think, where it took me several days to get through one chapter. :thinking:

6 Likes

Wow! That’s a great improvement in speed. Well done!

2 Likes

Just in case anybody is still wondering what exactly Makoto ate: It’s もつ.

Intestines.

Which is a super normal thing to eat in Japan.

3 Likes

Very pleasant chapter

2 Likes

Chapter 32 - 天地、夏冬、雪と墨

2020-08-14T15:00:00Z

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

2 Likes