ゆるキャン△ Vol. 2 🏕

I actually understood it as “that much”, complaining about how expensive it was (well, the price the other character is jokingly giving anyway). Cooking by yourself should be cheap.

What self-cooked yakiniku do you have to eat for it to be that much??

7 Likes

Yeah, I’d almost be willing to posit that なんだよ is actually ないんだよ, abbreviated.

2 Likes

Can’t be, I think, because the previous clause is 何食ったら, so you would expect a question (which is an implied 高くなる or something)

2 Likes

You would expect a question in the position after たら, which precludes a negative?

I just assumed it wasn’t a negative because I’ve never seen that contraction and なんだ is fairly common with its own meaning, but I’m not exactly an expert.

I think you’re right about “that much” rather than “like that,” since that adverb would (I think??) modify an adjective like 高い. “Like that” would probably be more like そう. So the “that” was right but I shouldn’t have left behind the quantitative “much.”

For some reason I thought I had written complain as well as lament.

2 Likes

Ah I meant: the 何 means a question is coming (or more specifically that we are in the process of asking a question) and there’s nothing (I can think of) that could fit the implied part after そんなに if there is a negation at the end. (I was in a rush, so I really implied a lot myself :sweat_smile:)

4 Likes

10 - お肉と紅葉と謎の湖

Start date: August 1st

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:

0 voters

4 Likes

That was… an abrupt ending.

3 Likes

p. 85 - 肉はこんなもんかな
What is もん here?

2 Likes

もの
It means thing but with the idea of “extent” in this context.
→ “about meat, this much (is good/is enough) I guess”

3 Likes

One question please meow~

Page 84

I’m not completely sure I get what マイノリティ殺し refers to…

Any help is appreciated!

2 Likes

At face value, it means literally to kill minorities, but in Internet lingo, it’s used to refer to the fact that huge chains/brands do not care about people who have alternative (?) needs, such as those who want to do BBQ in winter. You can find a bunch of examples by looking at the hashtag on Twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/マイノリティ殺し

8 Likes

Boy am I glad you explained that one because I had no idea what to do with it for the spreadsheet :joy:

Speaking of which I did a lot of the spreadsheet stuff this week–do you guys think it needed more words or was it fine?

4 Likes

This makes a lot more sense now…

1 Like

Real-world locations! Lake Shibire is here. The ゼブラ they shop at is セルバ (that’s actually not on the either of the fastest routes between House of Shima and Lake Shibire that are suggested by Google - going via route 52 actually adds 20 minutes to the trip).

The fourth panel on page 94 is here, but the fifth panel appears to be outside the reach of the street view man, which is a shame, because I’d like to get a closer look as to why Nadeshiko’s sister is confused over whether to turn left or right - there doesn’t even seem to be an option on the map.

I also found this video, a sort of making-of video about a TV show segment in which they visit this campsite specifically because it was in Yuru Camp:

The Fuji Eight Lakes were:

• 河口湖かわぐちこ*
  • 山中湖やまなかこ*
  • 明見湖あすみこ
  • 精進湖しょうじこ*
  • 本栖湖もとすこ*
  • 西湖さいこ*
  • 四尾連湖しびれこ
  • 浮島沼うきしまぬま

The ones I’ve marked with an asterisk are the current Fuji Five Lakes. Near as I can tell, the designation “Fuji Five Lakes” was invented by a newspaper editor in 1927 as a way of getting the public to vote on them as one of the most scenic areas of Japan - when they were initally entered as separate lakes, the votes were spread out so far that none of them did particuarly well in the rankings. At least, if I’ve correctly understood this description.

No idea who came up with the idea of the Eight Lakes, though.

Bonus, less-relevant information

As well as the Fuji Eight Lakes, there was also a second set, called the Outer Eight Lakes, consisting of the following:

• 琵琶湖びわこ
  • 二見浦ふたみがうら
  • 芦ノ湖あしのこ
  • 諏訪湖すわこ
  • 霞ヶ浦かすみがうら
  • 中禅寺湖ちゅうぜんじこ
  • 榛名湖はるなこ
  • 桜ヶ池さくらがいけ

We’ve seen Lake Suwa, earlier.

Page 82, any thoughts on what ムニョムニョ is intended to convey? I’m certainly getting feelings of… round and blobby, but for some reason, most of the results I get on Google Image Search are pictures of Thor’s Hammer.

Page 83, for 備長炭, while Jisho has ~ずみ written as the primary reading, ~たん is what she says in the anime, so I’ve changed the vocab sheet to reflect that.

Have we seen Aoi at work before? I’m pretty sure they had a scene or two in the anime before this point, but I can’t remember if it’s been in the manga.

Did they ever buy the sister’s coffee?

Page 97, final panel, exactly what is Rin looking at?

Y… You’re an abrupt ending.

9 Likes

Fun fact, that’s apparently how (some) Japanese people are mishearing Mjolnir (the name of Thor’s hammer in katakana) in the movies. (Source: nico nico pedia).
I have the same image than you do, otherwise (I would say soft rather than blobby, but that’s minor).

7 Likes

Well, that makes perfect sense. I knew the hammer was named Mjolnir, but somehow never made the connection to the sound of ムニョムニョ. Also, it’s the name of his hammer in the Prose Edda, too.

3 Likes

I think it says 蜂の巣だ. But not sure why there would be a beehive inside the place with the reception desk :thinking: Maybe a model or sculpture? Or something on a menu? :eyes:

Btw, could you tell me (or show me on a map) where they live? I forgot… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Aye, I could tell what it said (though at first I read it as くものす… time to get back to my reviews, I guess). I don’t think there’s a literal beehive, but rather that something about the building reminds her of one. Or maybe there’s one in one of the photos on the wall. She doesn’t deliver the line in either the anime or the drama, though, so I can’t get some sort of second opinion.

Rin is here. I don’t think we’ve seen Nadeshiko’s house at all yet, though. Probably somewhere nearby, in any case.

3 Likes

Oh, yeah, I also wondered what triggered her to say that. The other angle didn’t show any actual beehive nor hexagons or anything bee related.
Is there something in the anime or drama?

Well, like I said, she doesn’t speak the line. In the anime, the receptionist guy’s entire line in panels four and five of this page are delivered over this shot:

Then it cuts to the first panel of the next page, where he’s pointing out the white tent where the campsite is.

In the drama, the lines are switched - he points out the tent across the lake, and then tells them they’ll need to walk around the lake to get there, but either way, both lines are delivered standing on the patio, outside the building.

Edit: Heh. And I just noticed, as part of the Bland Name version in the anime, the 水 of 水明荘 has been changed to a 木. Subtle.

6 Likes