ゆるキャン△ Vol. 2 🏕

Well, this chapter was some excellent exercise for my salivary glands… drooling out of my mind

7 Likes

Yay, I’m back and caught up. Hello again everyone :wave:

11 Likes

One question about this week’s reading!

Page 137

さっぱりだけどほんのり一味が利いておいしいね
It is simple, but the little bit of flavour is effective and delicious…?

I am a bit confused about ほんのり. To me it doesn’t seem very complimentary, to say something has ‘a bit of flavour’, yet the meal is still described as ‘delicious’?

It’s more along the lines of “subtle” rather than “a little bit”. Ya know, it’s not hitting you in the face like a sprig of rosemary tied around a baseball bat. Subtle, but effective.

4 Likes

My mind made a connection today. If you wonder why, I’m afraid I couldn’t tell you.

Oh, hey! It’s the end of the volume!

13 - テストにでるおしゃれキャンプ入門

Start date: August 22nd

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:

0 voters

6 Likes

I hate being so early to vote in these. Makes it feel like everyone who didn’t vote yet dropped out

10 Likes

Posting is even worse. You just get to sit there and wait for something to happen. Where is everybody?
Thank you for that, by the way.

10 Likes

I don’t want it to end :sob: Even if there’s the next volume, which we are already planning to read :laughing:

12 Likes

Someone already went and posted it on the lookup sheet, but if I don’t explain the joke here, I’ll have nothing to say, because they don’t go anywhere! *Sob*

byつなよし on page 161 is a reference to Tokugawa Tsunayoshi, the fifth shogun of the Togukawa dynasty. Tsunayoshi turned to religion in the later part of his reign, probably on the advice of his mother, and due to this, he began to pass a lot of laws regarding animal protection - particularly dogs, probably because he was born in the year of the dog. Hence the connection. Other fun things that happened during Tsunayoshi’s reign include the Adventure of the 47 Ronin, and the most recent eruption of Mount Fuji.

Also, if anyone’s not seen one of these before, the へんなくるま at the bottom of page 161 is… well, in this universe, it’s an Oggle Maps car.

Though come to think of it, I’m not sure we’ve seen the train station on page 163 before. It’s Kai-Tokiwa, the closest station to Motosu High School. On page 174, she’s shown disembarking at Utsubuna Station. That’s one clue towards working out where she lives. :slightly_smiling_face:

Not the faintest idea of what シカモト on page 159 is meant to represent, and to be honest, chain stores aren’t much fun to search for. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nadeshiko’s Oggle Maps close encounter, as shown on page 176, is here. Strangely, she’s not in the Google Maps version of the photo. That image was last captured in 2014, though, so I’m willing to bet that the next time the street view cars are out, there’ll be some fan there with cosplay or a cardboard cutout.

What’s “OFF” doing on page 157? Is it “(their) time off”?

Page 167, someone’s added a note on the lookup sheet to 一筋 saying “as a NA-adjective it can mean earnest or devoted or common, but I’m assuming it’s a noun meaning because of の”. It also has the meaning “earnest; resolute; intent; devoted” when it’s acting as a suffix, and when it’s acting as a suffix, it’s a noun.

11 Likes

That was me. I assumed she was suggesting there was a familial connection between the teacher and Tsunayoshi, but was a bit confused about it (probably should have just not added anything, I am sorry). How do you read that?

1 Like

Nah, I think it’s more that she was trying to picture the teacher, but imagined Tsunayoshi instead.

It’s just ひとすじ.

1 Like

By “read that” I meant in terms of sense. Were you saying it is actually the earnest meaning?

Yeah. The picture of her in the next panel is the stereotype of the teacher who’s earnestly into teaching, I reckon - hair up, glasses, serious expression.

Yen Press has gone with “ordinary”, though, but I think I’ve made it pretty clear what I think of Yen Press’ work on this series…

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out! I wouldn’t have made the connection with the last page :rofl:

4 Likes

oh god why did i decide to pick this up alongside kiki’s delivery service

Joking aside, I’m trying to hustle to finish this book on time haha. Thankfully it’s been somewhat light on the technical camping stuff. That chapter with the club was a rough to get through haha. Also, helps that I get to finally see my favorite side character in the series, Biiru-sensei. Gotta power through Chapter 12, but I can feasibly get two chapters in this next week!

Something I tried out and was pleasantly surprised with was playing episodes of Yuru Camp alongside my reading. The show pretty much captures the dialogue 1:1 which is really cool to see and helps double check my translation of a given scene.

2 Likes

She’s actually my least favourite. But psst, ixnay on the oilerspay.

Pretty much, but not perfectly - aside from the anime including characters’ names in dialogue much earlier than the manga does, there’s a few extra scenes added here and there.

4 Likes

Oh my b, spoilered that right quick! But yeah, I’m just a sucker for that character archetype haha.

Interesting, I only checked out the episode that covers Chapter 11 and 12, so I haven’t seen any of the deviations the show takes.

1 Like

I’m in the middle of watching the episodes covered by this volume myself. I’m at episode 7 now. Maaan the OST is just soo goood

6 Likes

I still haven’t watched it but I have listened to the soundtrack several times.

What I didn’t realize was that the way I was listening to the soundtrack, with the YT channel “Soul of Wind,” is a selection of only the comfiest songs. When I listened to it on Spotify I was very surprised by tracks like the first part of “Strange Blue.”

3 Likes