Pages 141 - 165

Chapter 6: 冬キャンと山カフェ

Start Date: 6th June
Last Week: Chapter 5
Next Week: Wrap-up・番外編

Laid-Back Camp

ゆるキャン△ Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

5 Likes

Real-world locations! And boy do we have real-world locations this week.

Here we see Rin’s house for the first time. Googling has allowed me to narrow it down to somewhere along route 300 above the town of Shimobe-Onsen, but no amount of wandering around in Street View or staring at the house used in the drama has allowed me to pinpoint it exactly. I did find someone’s twitter post with an official filming locations map for Yuru Camp pilgrims, but the photo is too zoomed in on the map to let me find it, though it does reveal that it’s a closed restaurant named こやま食堂, not that that comes up in Google Maps search results either.

Rin stops for lunch at Korobokku Hutte, before visiting this intersection, the live footage of which can be found here. (The shot that’s visible to me as I post this doesn’t quite resemble the shot shown in the manga, but the thumbnail image of this camera on the parent page does, so I rather suspect the camera’s been pointed in a slightly different direction, for some reason.) Total driving distance 109 kilometres, or about 2 hours 22 minutes. Also, the street sign on page 146 is this one.

Meanwhile, the Outclub girls meet up at Yamanashi-shi Station before walking to Fuefukigawa Fruits Park, then finish at Hottarakashi Onsen. Total walking distance, about 5 kilometres, or 80 minutes’ walk. Nadeshiko mention getting lost at Kofu Station, because to reach Yamanashi-shi from where they live, they need to catch the Minobu Line to Kofu, then change to the Chuo Line. Why they all didn’t catch the same Minobu Line train, I have no idea. Perhaps they don’t all live along that line.

Also, the sticker on the front of Rin’s scooter, especially visible in the third panel of page 141 is a 若葉マーク, which marks her as a new driver.

13 Likes

Weird, I’ve never heard it called 若葉, only 初心者マーク…
Brings back memories, though. Over the one year period I had to use it (as a beginner driver), I probably had to buy 10 of those as they kept falling off…
\余談

Anyway, nice chapter again.
Also, I like backpacks way better than having to pull things on a… whatever those things are called (trolley?). A good backpack will spread the weight, so that you really won’t feel it. I could carry as much as 30kg without problem. I would not try to pull that much, especially uphill, so I was really happy with what happened :stuck_out_tongue: serves them right to put on airs. :rofl:

10 Likes

These real life connections posts you write are amazing. Thanks for making them and sharing with us.

6 Likes

Last week already! Thanks so much for all the work you do in keeping us organised. It is very much appreciated.

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Thanks, @Belthazar!

1 Like

… Found Rin’s house. It’s literally in Google Maps as House of Shima. Good grief. Anyway, that’s the house used in the drama, but it shows a pretty striking resemblance to the one in the manga, so it’s fairly likely this house was the inspiration. Biggest difference I can see is that the real-world house has the front door on the side of the building, whereas in the manga it’s facing the road. In any case, it’s pretty close to Motosu High School.

I love how the box of mochi that imaginary-Nadeshiko is holding on page 160 is called なんとかもち

And here at last, on page 164, is the first time we actually see Rin’s family name.

I’ve only ever heard 若葉マーク, but then, I’ve never heard anyone say either of them in real life, only in anime or the internet.

Quite. I mean, I guess if you get tired it’s easier to let go of the trolley handle than it is to put down a backpack, but even pulling a wheeled suitcase is just annoying. Though to be completely fair, she is also wearing two crossed shoulder bags.

7 Likes

For sure. Mind you, nothing gets your back sweaty like a nice heavy rucksack :sweat_smile:

Page 145

こういうのあった方が疲れへんよ?

What’s with the へん? I feel like this suddenly popped up a load of times this week - maybe the author wants to drip-feed particular aspects of her accent as we go :grin: I figured out the せえへん on page 149 (I think), but couldn’t find the solo へん - is it just a general negation (i.e. ない where せえへん is しない)?

6 Likes

Yeah, her accent is a lot stronger than it was back in chapter two when we first saw her. No idea if it’s a “letting people into it gently” thing or an editor going “make her more quirky!” thing, but yeah.

~へん=~ない

7 Likes

One question please meow~

Page 162

温泉に浸かった客を
完全にオトしにかかる

悪魔の刺客たち

I am not sure what to make of オトしにかかる here. しにかかる seems it might be from 死にかかる (to be dying, according to jisho), which I initially discarded as strange, but considering the next dialog contains the word “assassin” (悪魔の刺客たち…), I can’t quite do that. Either it seems this is some proverb / common phrase or maybe a reference to something I am not familiar with.

From context I get the idea that they seem to refer that they place looks way too comfy you might just fall asleep and die (or be killed?), but I’m not really sure.

Any help is appreciated!

3 Likes
unhelpful answer?

I also didn’t really follow this bit particularly well, and didn’t know what オトしにかかる meant.

However, I thought (after tackling the whole bit) that they were creeped out by the space, rather than thinking it’s too comfy - I think because it’s totally empty, and they’re speculating that all the guests have died / been killed?

The next bit says something like (from memory) “if you relaxed here one time, never again would you wake”, so yeah, pretty sure they’re not jazzed about the space!

4 Likes

It’s 落としにかかる, which means to fall prey to something. It is used as a metaphor for “to be seduced by”. (Edit my English is wrong; it’s the customers who are fallen/seduced; I hope that was clear :sweat_smile:)

So yes, the idea is that it’s too comfy and that they won’t be able to get back up. They then make a reference to the chairs from before in which they “grew roots” (meaning they couldn’t get back up”, noting that it is on a different level.

12 Likes

Nono, they definitely think it’s dangerously comfortable. There’s no other guests because it’s winter.

4 Likes

Was that established? :thinking: I thought it could be because of the time of the day.

1 Like

It’s definitely been established that it’s winter. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s about lunchtime at this point - what time of day would you be expecting it to be crowded?

3 Likes

:rofl: No, I meant, has it been established that this specific place is empty because it’s winter? Autumn and winter are the best season to go to onsen, as far as I am concerned. There’s nothing like being in a 露天風呂 while it’s snowing :ok_hand:
On the other hand, because it is lunch time, I expected that people might be, well, having lunch instead. Those kind of spaces often have a “no food” rule. I don’t know if it’s the case here, though. Or it’s just not popular during the day, no idea.

3 Likes

Page 152「ワシらも昔はああじゃった」
I think this means something like, “we were once young [like that/her] too…” but what exactly is ああじゃった?

Page 153「暖房きいてる店内で食うアイスうまー」
What is きいてる here?

Also, why did Nadeshiko think the name of the onsen is interesting/funny? Is it a pun or sounds similar to something? (I did think of 仏 but that might not be the case haha)

1 Like

It’s ああ (“that way”, it’s the one that goes after こう and そう in the こそあど series)+ だった in old man accent.

Turned on, from the verb きく (I think the 効く variation)

6 Likes

Thank you!! 効く makes sense :blush:

ahhh this chapter made me miss traveling! I’m reminded again of Japan’s extensive public transport connectivity and how I wish it was the same with where I live.

Also, the car full of puppers was super cute omg and the hitchhike scene was really funny :rofl:

7 Likes

Dammit, I knew I should have waited :joy: thought I’d take a stab because nobody had answered…

Anyway, thanks to 2OC for asking about that part, because as is evident, I was also totally confused by that whole page.

4 Likes