Learning through Translating: ブラックジャックによろしく episode 5: 外科と内科と医局と斉藤

How to participate:

① claim a number of your choice;
② translate the sentence and explained how you got to that result;
③ update the first message (this one) and remove the number from the available claims.

Episode 5

Direct link to page

The home summary

Currently available: 7, 8, 9, 10;

(pictures of previous pages)
p1

p2

Make a link to the post where you explain the sentence,
in the form (without spaces) [text number](/t/x/thread number/post number)
eg: [40](/t/x/43985/123) : ....

The post (and thread) number can be found clicking on the “link” icon of your post.

Sentence Summary
p1
  • 1 : Narrator: 熱海温泉
    Atami hot springs
  • 2, 3, 4 : (bust): 第十一代主任教授
    11th chairperson
    春日部一郎博士
    Dr. Kasukabe Ichirô
    (some women setting the busts): ねえ こんな銅像並べて何が始まるのかしら…
    Hee, we are lining those bronze busts, I wonder what will start
    ホラあれよーっ 今日は例の永大の…
    It’s today, that E.U. big thing…
p2-3
  • 5 : student on stage: それでは皆さん‼
    Well, everybody!!
    我らが最愛の恩師春日部一郎教授のご挨拶です‼
    Welcome our beloved mentor professor Kasukabe Ichirô!!

• 6 : (on the panel) 第91回 永禄大学第一外科医局交流会
    for the 91th time, gathering of the medical office of the 1st surgery department of the Eiroku university

• 7 : …

(when a new page is added, that summary can be moved to the episode 5 summary post)

熱海温泉

Atami hot springs

Atami (note the special reading) is a place name, the kanji mean “hot sea”

(plaque on the bust of the director)

第十一代主任教授

11th chairperson

第【だい】: prefix that makes a number an ordinal
代【だい】: counter for generations (so the 11th successor)
主任教授 : chairperson; compound made of 主任 (しゅにん), person in charge (主=main, 任=obligation) and 教授【きょうじゅ】professor; so the professor in charge (here of the chair of medicine at the Eiroku university, probably)

春日部一郎博士

Dr. Kasukabe Ichirô

春日部 一郎 : his name
博士 : Doctor (title, doctor in title, having done a doctorship) Two readings are possible: はかせ and はくし; this last as a suffix. I don’t know which one is the most likely here…

3. & 4.

(some women setting the busts)

ねえ こんな銅像並べて何が始まるのかしら…

Hee, we are lining those bronze busts, I wonder what will start

銅像 (どうぞう) is bronze statue (lit. bronze-image), but here they are busts
★ 並べる (ならべる) : to line, to put in a row. THe verb is in te-form; and the particle of the object is missing. Probably it has to be interpreted as some kind of cause of the following phrase (we line statues that way, so …)
it is こんな銅像, “such bronze busts”; but it sounds odd in English I think
何が始まる what will start + の (feminine question particle) + かしら feminine speech “I wonder”

ホラあれよーっ 今日は例の永大の…

It's today, that E.U. big thing...

the Japanese original is veeery elliptic, impossible to make a working English in samz order.

ホラ ・ あれ ・ よーっ
bragging ・ that(pr.) ・ [assertion]

今日 ・ は ・ 例の ・ 永大 ・ の…
today ・ [topic] ・ aforementioned ・ Eidai ・ [attribution] …

ホラ : big talk, big thing, bragging
あれよ (that + assertive particle)
例の (れいの) : 1. the usual, 2. that have been told about, aforementioned;
so here 例の永大の(X) is like “the (X) you know of/from Eidai” (the (X) is not stated, but it is obviously the ホラ of the previous phrase)

それでは皆さん‼

Well, everybody!!

それでは is often translated as “well then”; but I wonder if that isn’t the coppula (で) + the topic は; the same as in ではない; a sort of “that is” (but nowadays it is just a set phrase of introduction)
みなさん is easy, 皆 = everybody, all; and the ~さん honorific sufix.

我らが最愛の恩師春日部一郎教授のご挨拶です‼

Welcome our beloved mentor professor Kasukabe Ichirô!!

Actually the sentence says “This is the greeting to our …”
But he is shouting it in a rock concert way, so even if grammatically it is just a plain sentence, it translates better as an exhortation.

我ら (われら) = we; it is a quite old/litterary word
最愛 (さいあい) : beloved, dearest.
The two are linked with “が” : 我らが最愛, but it is not the subject particle! Actually 我ら being an old styled word, it uses old styled grammar to, so it is 我らが (equivalent to modern 私達の ) (same applies to 我が (わが) = 私の )
恩師 (おんし) : mentor, former teacher (that we are grateful to)
教授 (きょうじゅ) : professor (here as a title)
挨拶 (あいさつ) : greeting (I was surprized that furigana were used; as I knew the reading of the word); with the ご (御) honorific prefix used with ON-yomi words

about typing and kanji...

Since I do regular drills in WaniKanMy my typing/reading abilities have improved; but the vocabulary is not in match with the needs (as I have to go trough the designed path).
I discovered however KameSame, a web site similar to WaniKani (and it also links to it and can retrieve information on your kanji/vocabulary), but that allows to inject your own vocabulary to the drills.

So while I painfully retrieved the words 最愛 and 恩師 Sunday night, I injected them into the KameSame drills;
and when it came to type them again today, it was easy…

1 Like

Sorry I’m leaving you a bit stranded here. Keep it up. I’m focusing on the mews article at the moment but I’ll be back.

Off-topic post

@Zizka @YanagiPablo I’m posting this here partly because it’s our ‘home thread’ (where everything started) and partly because that way, this thread doesn’t die. Hahaha. (I have to admit though, I’m finding newspaper translations/commentary more interesting than the manga. :stuck_out_tongue:)

I started a topic (unrelated to Japanese) that’s mainly addressed to French speakers. It may sound a lot like a young person’s stupid insecurities (which it kinda is), but I’m also just really puzzled by some of the remarks (none of them intended to be nasty, I’m sure) I’ve received about my French accent since arriving in France. In essence, I’m just really confused about the apparent contradiction between a Parisian saying I have an “assez fort” accent, and someone (from the north of France, I believe) saying, ‘Oh wow, how come you don’t have an accent?’ It’s a bit more complicated than that in reality, so here’s a link. It includes some personal history involving English, Chinese and French, and some stuff about how feedback has changed over time. It’s quite a long post though (though I guess you guys are used to that from me by now), so take your time if you’re too busy to read it all and reply now. No need for a comprehensive reply either. Honest feelings, opinions and/or advice are enough.

@Shannon-8 @ayamedori You’re welcome to comment too, but it’s really pretty long, so you don’t have to worry about it if you’re busy/have no idea what to say.

Erm… yeah, that’s it for now then. Guess I’ll go have dinner.

第91回

永禄大学第一外科医局交流会

details...

It looked a bit scary at first (so many kanji), but I have been able to type it all without problem (I just wasn’t sure for 流, but it turned out I had the right reading too).

第91回 (だいきゅういっかい) : the 91th time; 第 is a prefix that makes ordinals out of numbers; and 回 is a counter for occurrences (and as usual for counters starting with “k”, numbers ending in ~ち change to ~っ to make the “k” doubled)

永禄大学 (えいろくだいがく) the Eiroku university
第一外科 (だいいちげか) the first surgery department (note the special reading for 外 in the word 外科)
医局 (いきょく) : medical office

交流会 (こうりゅうかい): again, I could type a word I didn’t knew… it has something to do with a meeting (会); and I know 交 is “mix” and also appears in 交通 (trafic, exchange), 流 is current (as in a sea current, but also a political, philosophic current, etc, also in old martial arts (in that late case more likely to be translated as “school”))
So, I’m going to look it up… : gathering; mixer; meetup
交流 = 1. (cultural) exchange; interchange; interaction; 2. AC (alternating current).

So, the panel reads:

for the 91th time,

gathering of the medical office of the 1st surgery department of the Eiroku university

Hello. I see that this little project has gone quiet. Personally, I’m fine with that, because I didn’t really have the energy to keep up with this manga, and I wasn’t that interested. However, everyone is of course free to pick it up again.

(Everything below this is off-topic :stuck_out_tongue: )

The real reason I’m here: @Zizka @YanagiPablo @Shannon-8 @ayamedori my exams are finally over, and so I’m back. I mean, I’ve been answering questions on the forums here and there whenever I got bored/sick of studying, but I wasn’t free to be really active. So… if anyone wants to start anything again, I’m available (though I can see that many other forum members have started popping up on the non-Blackjack discussions, which is great).

@Shannon-8 How’s the book club going? I haven’t had the time to look for the threads, and I have no idea if anything new is being posted, or if you all are just working from the old book club threads.

1 Like

As a head up, I’m essentially on Japanese newspapers now and will likely be indefinitely. The participation is better, the vocabulary more varied and it isn’t fictional. It’s also easier to manage than identifying each page of the manga and uploading it.

2 Likes

I think newspapers are easier to manage as an activity. I didn’t know you had started a new thread though. Thanks for the link.

@Jonapedia I hope the exams went ridiculously well for you!!!

Blah blah blah about Book clubs

Sadly, I fell right off of my クレヨンしんちゃん reading because getting through 2 pages of “Kiki’s Delivery Service” every day is just about more than my weak Japanese skills can handle!! It’s REALLY been KILLING my invention patent writing productivity!! I’m not keeping up with that pace at all. Plus, I’m copying out each page longhand and writing my translation and pronunciation notes all over it! That takes a long time!

Particularly since somebody made Anki-droid cards for the 3000 vocabulary words from the old Kiki group vocab list (Memrise, also, but I don’t do that) and it’s taking me AGES to blast through 120 reviews each day. CRAZY how slow it goes for me!!

But for me, the most interesting thing is to LISTEN to the audiobook–particularly after I have finished translating chapter!! Wow! I feel like this will REALLY help me be more fluent when I go to Japan. I listen while looking at my copied-out notes with pronunciation, or eyes closed.

I simply.Can. Not.Read it out loud anywhere near fast enough.!! I would LOVE to be able to read out loud along with the audiobook, eventually. Right now, I get on Discord with my daughter and try to read out loud, while she critiques my horrible pronunciation. She is in Japan teaching English. She was like JLPT4, and we are both reading the same edition of the book. She fell behind, but 夏休み begins tomorrow, so she will catch up.

She is like you, Jonapedia, about pronunciation. Very particular! After her speech introducing herself to the school, several teachers came to her speaking excitedly in Japanese, because they thought she was much more advanced than she was!

She has a VERY good ear, I think from being a GREAT singer! This helps her a lot in her English teaching, because she can easily identify how students are pronouncing things wrong. And when that “student” is me–I find her comments very correct and very helpful! My pronunciation is improving A LOT between her and the audiobook!!

魔女の宅急便・Kiki's Delivery Service 🧧 Repeat Club - #435 by shuly

3 Likes
About the exams

Hahaha. Frankly, I have no idea what to think. They didn’t go great, but some things certainly weren’t as difficult as expected. The thing is though, I have no way to tell how things will go, because all that matters is my ranking, and not how good my raw score is relative to a benchmark. Results will be out in August, so I guess I’ll see how things go.

About the book clubs

I think the slowness you’re experiencing with the vocabulary words is going to be temporary. Still, I can’t deny that 120 reviews per day sounds like quite a bit, though I haven’t used flashcards in a long time, so I can’t be sure. I think writing everything out sounds very helpful, even though it’s bound to be time-consuming. I used to do the same thing with Japanese lessons from my first textbook. The other thing I tried was using the recordings for dictation: I would listen to them after reading and see if I could write everything out. I would pause the recording every few phrases so I would be able to keep up.

I’m impressed and glad to hear about her progress. (I’m not sure if ‘progress’ is the right word, since she’s surely been at this level for a while, but well, it’s progress relative to when she first started learning Japanese, I’m sure.) I hope you’ll gradually find pronunciation getting easier as you work things through with her help. I think the main obstacle to reading aloud fluently is character recognition, so I guess we’ll just have to keep at it: I’m pretty sure I can read faster than I could a year ago, but my friend studying in Japan is faster still. To me, that just means that there’s room for improvement, and that it’s possible to achieve better reading speeds.

In any case, all the best with continued progress. I think you’ll find things getting easier as you get more and more used to Japanese. :slight_smile:

1 Like