獣の奏者 chapter 4, part 5 discussion

Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

獣の奏者 Home Thread

Chapter 4, Part 5: カザルム王獣保護場、リラン

Start Date: May 23rd
Previous Week: Chapter 4, part 4
Next Week: Chapter 4, part 6

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2020-05-31T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve read ahead (or read the book before) but plan to participate, please vote for “I’m reading along”.

Oops, I’m not first in my own poll.

8 Likes

Not even second! Such a slacker. :wink:

6 Likes

I’m late this week! :scream: I’ve yet to read the last chapter :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

On the plus side, you can just keep reading when you finish that one!

2 Likes

Good thing last week’s section was so easy!

Really? Great :grin::grin::grin:

I’ll do a long long session :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

This week’s section felt pretty easy, too! I am very excited to do next week’s reading~ (It was a struggle not to start it last night.)

3 Likes

What do you mean I definitely didn’t finish the book just now :eyes:

4 Likes

I don’t blame you!! I think the only thing keeping me from doing it is knowing there is a whole other book to continue into after finishing it. Otherwise I might’ve been done weeks ago. :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m surprise 10 comments but none speak about this week’s reading. I will be first again it seems. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Spoiler

There is one part I did not quite understand. Can a 王獣 survive long without eating or not. It seems they can’t but not children but that one can because of the special medicinal water.

My second question is… Wasn’t Esare the lady in charge of the dormitory? Erin calls her/him 教導帥長 so I guess I was wrong or that she/he has a lot of responsabilities. That also explains why I was wondering how come the lady in charge of the dormitory could go see the 王獣 like she owned the place.

A short week but a nice one. Maybe it’s me that did not get it but does the 教導帥長 just bet in life on the fact that Erin won’t make mistake and heal the 王獣 even if he himself cannot and have over 40 years of experience. Like “Sure let’s give a job I won’t ever give to a more experienced student because even though she doesn’t have ANY experience, she comes from 王獣衆 so she MUST be better than everyone else.” I mean maybe but isn’t it a long shot? Theory and practice are different. You won’t just give a veterinary trainee a huge work because his parents are good veterinary right? And even gave her the right to try what she wants. Although she only thinks about them hand Esare will do it.
Maybe it’s just me BUT…

They can.

No, she is the head of the school. She is a friend of ジョウン and gave the entry exam to エリン. I forgot the name of the person you are talking about.

Technically, エリン requested it, and then the school head said “are you saying that you are better than me despite my 40 years of experience (and so on)?”
Then she says that she (the head) will still take care of the healing to minimize risks. エリン will only be in charge of taking care of the 王獣 (so stuff like feeding, cleaning the room etc)

6 Likes

That seems like a nice compromise too, but she’s certainly still putting herself at risk by letting Erin do so much.

4 Likes

Since a month of doing the best (her, all the knowledge they have basically) didn’t help any, she may be figuring an alternate approach can’t do any more harm. :thinking:

But yeah, if someone came to inquire (like they did with Erin’s mom), they’d probably see it a bit differently and this may cause quite a bit of trouble.

5 Likes

What @Belerith said. Also, because plot. :sweat_smile: at least the author did their best to make エリン look competent and having a new outlook on the issue… which is nice and all, but the head also said that she was thinking of entrusting the 王獣 to here (well not to that extent but still) before any of that (and became reluctant when エリン showed emotions). So… yeah, plot.

Also, I haven’t read ahead, but, even if the chick gets miraculously better, questions will be asked as well. That really feels like a lose-lose scenario :thinking:

4 Likes

But plot!

4 Likes

plot

Which is really fair honestly in this situation.

But also not to forget that Erin is the only person who saw 野生な王獣 in their natural habitat, she’s smart, has good eyes, and cares about the 王獣s. Sounds to me like it makes sense to let someone like her to try something out, since the chick is nearing its death and they couldn’t do anything anyway up till now.

6 Likes

She is also a half from a hostile vassal nation and half from an ethnicity that is just generally distrusted. She is probably the last person the higher ups in charge would want near their sacred pets.
But anyway plot is good and fair.

8 Likes

But エサル said she won’t allow any kind of judgement discrimination based on her ethnicity or origin! How could she!

5 Likes