[Web] WaniKani Custom - The WaniKani SRS system but with your custom words and vocabulary

:warning: This is a third-party script/app and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.

WaniKani Custom

https://wanikanicustom.com/

Features

• Custom decks and cards.
  • Automatic text to speech with a choice of lifelike voices.
  • WaniKani style SRS review system.
  • Choice of testing on English, Japanese or both.

Questions

• Is it free? Yes, but I may add a donation button at some point.
  • Why does it need my WK Personal Access Token? I don’t want to store any sensitive details, this seemed like a good alternative for authentication.
  • I am not hearing any sound, what should I do? You probably need to enable autoplay for the website. If you can’t find the setting then please contact me and I will be happy to help.
  • I found a bug, what should I do? Please contact me.

Plans for the future

I am working on a lot of projects at the moment so I don’t have any immediate plans for new features. If enough people find this useful then I would like to develop an entirely new API first version.

Screenshots

Anything else

I hope you have fun using this, I would be more than happy to answer any questions!

24 Likes

Does this actually integrate with WaniKani in any way or is it just SRS for whatever you want?

I doesn’t integrate with WaniKani apart from to authenticate. The SRS uses the same spacing and levels. There is also the same input conversion and a similar UI. I made it because I wanted a WaniKani experiance but with vocab I learnt from other sources.

3 Likes

Looks really nice so far @Oshawk. Are you ready for some feature requests? :laughing:

1. Be able to review a card as soon as it’s added to the deck (actually more like a “lesson” step than a “review” step)
  2. Be able to change the timestamps to my own time zone instead of UTC
  3. Be able to upload a CSV file with cards instead of entering them one-by-one.

#3 on the list would be the highest priority for me.

For now, I am waiting for 4 hours to see the first reviews, but I will definitely check back in later today.

1 Like

Added all three features :smile:

3 Likes

Hahaha… great! Thanks for that. I especially like how the audio auto-plays. I will add some more cards with csv soon.

I really like wanikani’s SRS system so I love this app!
@Oshawk, are you ready for some more feature requests?

1. It’s very annoying when I accidentally press enter more than I need to and get marked wrong on the next question. Please add a feature where if you didn’t put anything in the text box, you wouldn’t be able to submit it.
  2. Also, the UI could use some improvement… The page looks kinda- blank during reviews.
  3. The possibility of being able to add more than one correct answer sounds very nice.

#3 on the list would be the highest priority for me.

Okay, I have implemented 1 and 3.

You can use 3 by putting a ‘//’ (this converts to ‘・・’ for Japanese) between the answers.

With regards to number 2, I quite like the UI as it is… minimalism was the intention. There will probably be no UI changes until I release a proper new version.

2 Likes

Exactly what I needed, why have I never come across this before lol
Yeah the UI is kinda blank, but I can get behind that :smiley:
Thank you so much!

I am very glad that you find it useful.

Thank you very much!
I can deal with the minimalistic UI because the rest of the features are great!

I’ve been experimenting with your site. I like it a lot!

I’ve been going through Lingodeer’s curriculum and every lesson they introduce a handful of vocabulary words. Lingodeer has an option to review vocab, and you can build a custom list or choose “weak” words (not quite sure how that list is generated), but there’s no SRS option. It was very easy to upload my list of vocab words into your site, and a lot easier than Anki, which I’ve gotten used to but still don’t love. Your site is visually appealing with its minimalist design and I appreciate the audio component.

Some random thoughts/asks:

• Is it okay to back out (Back to decks) mid-review? Because there’s no “wrap up” button like Wanikani.
  • It would be helpful to see how many reviews remain during a session.
  • I know I can go to Add Card and see the level/next review information, but it would be nice to see a summary on the initial page. In particular, a timeline so I know when to check back for my next batch of reviews.
  • Wanikani is good about showing what gets promoted/demoted, but things are a little obtuse on your site. Can you display the change in level after each word?
  • A list of critical condition items on the first page so I can easily see the vocab I’m consistently getting wrong.
  • A toggle for dark mode.
  • A mobile version. (Not an app, just a version of the website that uses phone screen real estate a bit smarter.)
  • An option to share decks.

Truly, this is just the type of service I needed to aid me in my studies. THANK YOU for making this.

I am really glad that you are enjoying the site.

• Is it okay to back out (Back to decks) mid-review? Because there’s no “wrap up” button like Wanikani. Yes, all progress is saved.
  • It would be helpful to see how many reviews remain during a session. This is a feature that I did mean to have from the start but I managed to forget about it. I will try and add it in the next few weeks.
  • I know I can go to Add Card and see the level/next review information, but it would be nice to see a summary on the initial page. In particular, a timeline so I know when to check back for my next batch of reviews. This would be a great feature to add. Sadly it would take a lot of time to implement. I am planning on creating an entirely new version at some point but I am really busy at the moment so it will most likely be in a few months.
  • Wanikani is good about showing what gets promoted/demoted, but things are a little obtuse on your site. Can you display the change in level after each word? This should be quite easy to do, I will try and add it in the next few weeks.
  • A list of critical condition items on the first page so I can easily see the vocab I’m consistently getting wrong. This would require major reworking to implement (I don’t collect wrong statistics except per review session). I will try and add it to the new version when it is released.
  • A toggle for dark mode. I am afraid that this will probably never be a feature. UI is not really one of my strengths and I rely heavily on CSS frameworks that don’t have any sort of dark mode feature.
  • A mobile version. (Not an app, just a version of the website that uses phone screen real estate a bit smarter.) I plan on making the next version API first which should allow for better mobile experiences.
  • An option to share decks. There is currently an option to import from CSV. I will try and add an export option soon so that this can be achieved.

I really appreciate the feedback. I hope you continue to enjoy using the site!

1 Like

Hi @Oshawk,

I have no issues accessing your site from my own network, but when I connect through my company’s VPN (on my lunch break, I swear!) I get this error: https://i.imgur.com/RtRjlZP.jpg

Is there a solution or workaround?

1 Like

Looks like something in the certificate chain had expired. Seems browsers did not care but the VPN did. I have regenerated the certificate, things should work now.

1 Like

I was looking for an SRS like Wanikani but with custom vocabulary. That is very close to what I was looking for. But it would be much better if there was an expression, and a reading and meanings for that expression, just like WaniKani.
In this state, we cannot add any vocabulary that contains kanji. So we are limited to vocabulary written only in kana since it wouldn’t be logical to learn a kanji+hiragana vocubulary only in kana.

2 Likes

Love this already, I’m a fan of how minimal it is. My only request is that it could use a dark mode.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I was looking for! But I got a 500 error.

How to get the 500 error:

My deck name: Genki 6 (13 cards currently)

The corrupt card is:
English: window
Japanese: まど
(rest blank)

When I get this card during the review and type まど and hit enter, a 500 error occurs.

Feature Request:

1. Auto-focus on “New Card” page for the input “English”.
1 Like

Okay, I think I’ve fixed the error, can you check?

Whilst your suggestion is a good one it goes against a couple of my core ideas for the site:

1. No need for an IME - I wanted the site to be simple to use. One of the problems I have had with other flashcard applications is that they require you to use an IME which can be cumbersome. To solve this I am using wanakana.js but this only works for kana.
  2. Not a WaniKani competitor - I don’t want my site to compete with WaniKani in any way. If I implemented this it would be possible for someone to recreate WaniKani in my system which I really don’t want.

I’m afraid for these two reasons I can’t implement your request.