April 29th Daily Reading ブラックジャックによろしく Manga

Click the arrows for further explanation:

E

血小板けっしょうばん60単位たんい

Platelets: 60 units

けっしょうばん けつ→けっ because of the S sound. The kanji literally mean ‘blood-small-board’
単=single; 位=place/spot/position

プラズマネート・カッター6本ろっぽん
ベニロン5g

Plasmanate Cutter: 6 sticks. Venilon: 5g

Plasmanate Cutter may not have an equivalent in English. I’m not sure. According to Google, Plasmanate is a ‘blood plasma expander’, whatever that is. A document I found regarding… ‘39 cases of Hepatitis B blood plasma and blood products being used simultaneously in the context of blood product doses for blood transfusion’ (or something like that… I’m not really able to understand the title) says Plasmanate Cutter is 加熱人血漿たん白 ('warmed/heated blood plasma albumin/protein). 六本 because the doses probably come in slender tubes.

Venilon is an sulphated immunoglobulin solution according to a database I found. So… antibodies, basically.

F

これを全部ぜんぶあの金子老人かねころうじんにやったのかね?斎藤先生

You did all of this to the elder/old Mr Kaneko, right? Dr Saitou

か is a question particle. ね indicates that agreement is being sought.
全=all; 部=part. Therefore a ‘whole’/‘all of’
老=old; 人=person
やる is often a less formal form of する. It can also be similar to あげる in the sense that it carries the idea of ‘doing something for someone’.

1 Like

No worries, I understand. You’re right. ‘Emphasis’ was perhaps not quite the right word here, especially since we tend to associate the verb ‘to emphasise’ with affirmative statements.

The dictionary has explained it much more eloquently and precisely than I have. Perhaps what I wished to say, in order to summarise the use of のです into an easy-to-grasp concept, was that のです exists to draw attention to something, be it for the purpose of explanation or that of (emotive) emphasis.

2 Likes

So you’re saying I should focus first on に as part of contextual expressions first and if I can’t find anything then rely on its more general functions.

1 Like

You’re saying “often” which means it’s not always the case. I’ll look into it thanks for pointing it to my attention.

1 Like

The kanji for やけ are 自棄, which (based on my understanding as a Chinese speaker) literally mean ‘self’ and ‘abandon’, which is to say ‘to give up on oneself’. As @Myria said, it’s already has its own entry in the dictionary, so you might as well take that definition. The closest simple Japanese definition given by my dictionary is ひどく, as in ‘terribly’ or ‘awfully’, which I think pretty much explains what it means. However, perhaps you, like me, enjoy breaking things down into their components in order to understand them better. I’ll join you in that now.

If you look into the etymology provided by various dictionaries, it’s said that やけに came from 自棄, meaning that the two must have related meanings. I presume you went through the list of possible meanings for に and found that none of them fit… except perhaps the one that you mentioned right at the end, the adverbial function. I guess you could say it probably just means ‘desperately’. In context though, it seems to mean ‘really’, which doesn’t match. How can we explain this? Well, the dictionary also says やけに is a 俗語的表現ぞくごてきひょうげん (a colloquial/vernacular expression), so just like ‘terribly’ in ‘terribly excited’, やけに can indicate an extreme degree of something without it necessarily being truly ‘desperate’, even if the expression does put a bit of a negative spin on it.

Yup, やる can also mean things like ‘to send’ or ‘to give’. In the context of informal Japanese though, it usually just means ‘to do’, and sometimes also ‘to do for somebody’.

2 Likes

G.

はい!!

おかげで患者は今日も良好です!

Vocabulary
  • おかげで: an expression that means “thanks to/because of” (the で is the particle of “means of action”).
  • 良好 : good, satisfactory, favourable, excellent. I immediately guessed the meaning, as I know 良い and 好き; but struggled for the reading (りょうこう).
Interpretation

What “おかげで” refers to is not specified; is it thanks to “you” (actions of Pr. Shiratori),
or thanks to the different products provided to the patient ?
I opted for the second.

はい‼ おかげで患者は今日も良好です!
Yes!! Thanks to (that) the patient is still fine today

2 Likes

I.

I’ll take I., as I like transcribing text on the landscape (笑)

Transcription:

(Family of patient):

ありがとうございます 先生!

こんな偉い先生に手術していただいてじいちゃんもきっと満足しとるとです!

(On the patient’s door):

517 / 金子敏夫 / 笠原 誠 / 吉村直之 / 高原一彰 /

Vocabulary
  • 偉い (えらい) : noble/great
  • いただく : (humble verb) 1. to eat, 2. to drink, 3. (helper verb) to make someone do something
  • じいちゃん : old man, grandfather
  • きっと : certainly
  • 満足【マン・ゾク】: satisfactory, adequate
  • しとる : contracted version of しておる; ~ておる is humble version of ~ている

It seems to be 4 patients per room…

• かさはら 笠原 まこと 誠
  • よしむら 吉村 なおゆき 直之 (I would have guessed “Naono”)
  • たかはら 高原 かずあき 一彰 (I would have never guessed “Kazuaki”!)
Interpretation

The family speaking:

ありがとうございます 先生!
Thank you doctor!

And humble speech used all along, ~ていただく, ~ておる;
but じいちゃん, grandpa.

I don’t understand the last と in ending とです however…

こんな偉い先生に手術していただいてじいちゃんもきっと満足しとるとです!
Grandpa being operated by such a great doctor, he will surely be satisfied

Wasabi-jpn gives “I’m sure he is happy to have been operated on by such an esteemed doctor!”;
so I was quite correct :dart:

1 Like

And titles! :slight_smile:

I’m a little out of my depth here, so I might have to check with a friend, but I think you’re right. Prof Shiratori is probably his superior (Saitou uses です while Shiratori uses 砕けた言い方), which means, in my opinion, that Saitou would have said おかげさまで if he had been thanking Shiratori for his actions/concern.

UPDATE: spoke to my friend. He’s not sure either, but he thinks it’s likely that you’re right: おかげで means ‘thanks to the medication’ in this case. The source I found discussing this manga (see below) also says the same thing.

By the way, there’s a slight typo here^: it’s 偉い(えらい)=noble/great, not 違い(ちがい)=difference.

EDIT: I just found something, so I thought I’d add on: しとるとです is apparently a rural dialect form, and is equivalent to しています. Source (SPOILER WARNING: This page contains a lesson that translates and explains this very manga in English): Japanese Lessons: Japanese Reading Practice with Manga 1-3-1

2 Likes

Oops, I was too happy to thnk I knew it …
(and now, that changes my perception of the whole sentence;
previously I thought some doctor said that, as “… some other doctor …”; but with 偉い it may be still the family speaking.

1 Like

H.

Transcription:

よけいな事はしなくていい

治療の指示は私が出す

Vocabulary
  • よけい : too much, excessive
  • 治療 (ちりょう) : medical treatment, cure
  • 指示 (しじ) : instruction(s)
Interpretation

よけいな事はしなくていい
Don’t do too much

治療の指示は私が出す
*I’ll show you the instructions for the treatment

1 Like

@YanagiPablo @Zizka I’ve updated this post to include what my friend told me and a link to a lesson on wasabi-jpn.com that translates and discusses this manga (I found it by accident).

On a side note, I wanted to suggest an anime for you guys if you’re interested in medical vocabulary (and by anime, of course): you can watch Cells at Work! (Hataraku Saibou) (all 14 episodes available on Crunchyroll), which was so biologically accurate that teachers actually showed it to their classes during lesson time! You probably won’t hear as many names of medications (which frankly is OK, in my opinion, since we’ll probably never need those names, even if we start living in Japan one day), but you’ll heard the names of common bacteria and illnesses, and get to learn about the immune system in Japanese. The French title is Les Brigades Immunitaires, and it’s on Wakanim too, if you’re looking for it in France. (Everything is free on Wakanim except episode 14, which I think was an OVA.) Anyway, it’s just a suggestion, but I figured you might find it interesting. :smiley:

2 Likes

J

The family has bowed to the doctors. The most senior doctor speaks:

術後じゅつご経過けいか順調じゅんぢょうです

手術は100%成功ですが心臓に合併症がありますので

Vocabulary

術後 (じゅつご) post-operation/after surgery.
経過(けいか) course/treatment
順調(じゅんちょう) doing well;

手術(しゅじゅつ) surgery
100% (びゃくパーセント)
成功(せいこう) successful
心臓(しんぞう) heart
合併症(がっぺいしょう) complications

1 Like

Yes, when I type on my phone, especially at low battery, it tends to propose/ autocorrect things completely out of left field, but I’m not always paying attention :sob:

4 Likes

Re. J

Analysis

This sentence structure is so straightforward that even a Japanese noob like me can (maybe) get this correct–and I can check on the [page](https://www.wasabi-jpn.com/japanese-lessons/japanese-lessons-japanese-reading-practice-with-manga-1-3-1/
) found!! Still, this is one of those situations where Google translate doesn’t make sense. It says “Post-operative course is good”. I think what is doing well here is the patient, not the treatment course. Besides, he’s giving the family the update.

In the second sentence, after the surgery was 100% successful, there is a conjunction が that means “but”, and in medical situations, those can be BIG “howevers”. Because the のでat the end really emphasizes the “heart complications” phrase, I split “hear complications” into “complications with the heart” to underscore the gravity.

The senior Doctor says: (The patient’s) Post-surgery recovery is progressing smoothly.
The surgery was 100% successful, BUT there are complications with the heart.

2 Likes

K

The senior Doctor continues:. ここから先は正直言って本人の生命力しだいです

肺塞栓を起こさず回復できるかどうか……心不全もあるし

Typo fixed, thanks YanagiPablo!

Vocabulary and Analysis

ここから先(saki)は From here onward (literally after);
正直言って(しょうじきいって) honestly, or to tell the truth. 正 (masa) positive; 直 (jika) straight. This isn’t the character that’s written, but it’s the closest that I can come, I think it’s a font difference for this Unicode character where they write it more old fashioned, with 3 compartments and sitting on an L-shaped “chair”.

本人(ほんにん) the person himself
生命力(せいいのちりょく) life force, vitality; 命(inochi) life; 力 (chikara) power, Force.
しだいですdepends; 次第(shidai) depend, up to.

This is one of those Japan versus US, where Japan refers to a person’s “vitality”, sort of chi; and in the US, we say it depends on his “will to live” (because if you put your mind to anything…). I left it “vitality”.

肺塞栓(はぃすくせん) pulmonary embolism
を起さずwithout causing; Verb 起こる to occur (okoru).
回復(kaifuku) recovery
できる【出来る】to be able to
かどうか(conjunction) whether
心不全(shinfuzen)もあるし will also have heart failure. The ending し is to “make the point”.

K Interpretation
Doctor: From here onward, to be honest, it depends on a person’s own vitality

whether he can recover without having a pulmonary embolism (or) heart failure

I don’t actually like the medical setting, I picked that manga because it was released to the public. I mean, I don’t hate it but I’m just indifferent. I’d rather read the news but I want the challenge of identifying kanji and the drawings help understand the context.

I see them botth the same; Maybe you are using a Chinese font ?
If you look at wiktionary for 直 there are picture animations for the stroke order, with Japanese and Chinese variants; which one do you see ?

命力(いのちりょく) vitality

Actually it is written 生命力 (せいめいりょく, life force): 生命 : life

2 Likes

L

The senior Doctor is still talking:.

ちなみにこちらは手術の助手をつとめた白馬先生……

あちらは受け持ちの研修医でえーー……と……

斉藤です!!

L Vocabulary and Analysis

ちなみに “By the way”
こちらは This (person right here is)
手術の助手(shujutsu no joshu) surgery のassistant;
をつとめた; を"served as"た(was)
白馬先生 Hakuba Sensei(doctor) (he’s the Pre-something-or-other who I called ShiroTori–I’m not good at the politeness thing; GREAT DISCUSSION TODAY ABOUT THAT, GENTLEMEN!)
あちらは That (person over by you is)
受け持ち(ukemochi) responsible for/matter in one’s charge
研修医(kenshui) で

L Analysis

ちなみにこちらは手術の助手をつとめた白馬先生……
By the way this is Dr. Hakuba, who served as an assistant for the surgery…

あちらは受け持ちの研修医でえーー……と……
That is the medical intern that he supervises …um…

The senior Doctor can’t remember his name, so our hero yells, “I’m Saitou!!”

1 Like

He is not white-horse, but white-bird: 白鳥 (with a special reading: しとり)

(also, while the senior doctor (I wonder if he is the one interested only in eels…) uses こちら to talk about 白鳥先生, he uses あっち (instead of あちら) for the intern (Saitou); which, according to wasabi-jpn web site, is quite rude towards the intern)

We can also see that Saitou proudly says his name, standing right, while Dr. Shiratori politely stands bowed (I find the contrast between the two last pictures striking)

1 Like