April 28th Daily Reading ブラックジャックによろしく: Community Reading Exercise

I’m putting tomorrow’s reading up so it’ll be accessible to everyone while I sleep.

How can I participate?
Click on the :arrow_forward:︎ to reveal the text.

★The rules have been updated. Please read the new one.

Rules↓

①Choose one of the letters from the list below. Claim your letter by posting a reply in the thread here. That is so two people don’t end up doing the same letter.
②Edit your ‘claim reply’ with a vocabulary section where you list the vocabulary words and explain what they mean.
③In a reply to your ‘claim reply’, develop your interpretation. This will help people understand and learn from your explanation.
④When discussing the content of the manga, please begin your message with the letter you are addressing. This allows people to know right away about which strip you are talking about.

<h1>G</h1>

✩If you spot a mistake, explain to the user what it is and why it is incorrect.
✩If possible, correct your mistake based on the new information.

The story so far:↓

Saito finished med school and is now an intern at the Eternal Fortune University Hospital. He is an idealist who wants to be a doctor to help people as opposed to become rich. He once took a part time job which paid well but was in conflict with Saitou’s values and beliefs.

Today he assisted a surgery where a reputed professor appeared to do just a small incision. At lunch time he discussed about that with his mate Dekune, and another professor, hearing them, told them he will be in charge of their training, and asked them both to meet him after lunch.

They are now in a room with the old man of today’s surgery.

ブラックジャックによろしく p.20 & 21

Link directly to the page in order to zoom in on the text.

P.22 & 23, and the last one 24.

Link directly to the page in order to zoom in on the text.

Currently available: (all done);

Done: A-R

(click on the links (letter) to see the details (analysis, vocabulary, etc))

• A : この人… さっき手術おじいさんですね
    That person is the old man who just got surgery isn’t?

• B : 今のところ状態は安定している
    As it stands now, his condition is stable.

• C : 一応 手術は成功したが今後も意識を回復する可能性は低い
    The surgery was somewhat successful but the possibility of recovery to consciousness is low.

• D : 重度の肝不全合併で昏睡状態…
    A severe liver failure developed into a comatose state

• E : 食道静脈瘤破裂による大出血で腎不全も伴っている
    The rupture of the vein of the oesophagus led to a lot of bleeding which is accompanied with renal failure.

• F : 斎藤先生, 君にはこの患者の受け持ちをお願いする
    Doctor Saitou, you will be in charge of this patient please

• G & H : ラシックス(利尿剤)で尿量を確保して手術記録を書いておいてくれ
    今 やる事はそれだけだ
    Use Lasix (a diuretic) to maintain his volume of urine and please write the surgery report.
    Right now, that’s all that can be done.
    出久根先生 君には他の患者を紹介する
    Dr. Dekune, I will introduce an other patient to you.

• I : え…僕と一緒じたいんですか?
    (We) won’t be together?

• J : 何言ってるんだ…?
    このくらい研修医一人でやるのはどの病院でも常識だぞ
    What (the heck) are you talking about?
    Having a single doctor in training doing that much is common sense in any hospital.

• K : この患者の受け持ち医は…君だ
    You are in charge of this patient

• L : 今日初めて僕は正式に入院患者を受け持ちつ事になった…
    Today, for the first time, I became officially in charge of an in-patient

• M : 僕の使命はこの老人の命を守る事だ…
    My mission is to safeguard/protect this old man’s life

• N : 金子敏夫75歳ーーー
    Kaneko Toshio, 75 years old"
    昨日 自宅で倒れ意識不明この病院へ運びこまれた
    Yesterday, he fell unconscious at his home and has been carried to this hospital

• O : この人の生死僕は握っている
    The life and death of that person is my hands. (tweaked to sound good in English)

• P : お前は医者だ…
    You are a doctor
    新人だろうが半人前だろうが患者にとってお前は医者だ…
    You may be a newbie, or you may be a half-time working, but for the patients you are a doctor (interpretation still on debate)

• Q & R : これは試練だ…
    This is a test
    僕が本物の医者になれるかどうか…
    Whether or not I can become a genuine doctor…
    試されている…:bangbang:
    I’m being tested (on that)…!!

• Next episode

I’d like to participate, but I don’t know how to!

①head over to Jisho.
②at the very top, there’s an option to draw a kanji if you can’t figure out what it means and you are not comfortable with radicals:

③draw the kanji. Accurate stroke order is preferable:

Miscellenous

★(Links to the manga online, previous reading exercises) ↓

April reading exercises - 四月の読書練習

第1話 研修医の夜 (on an external forum)

1日 2日 3日 4日
5日 6日 7日 8日 9日 10日 11日
12日 13日 14日 15日 16日 17日 18日
19日 20日

第2話 ウナギとゴッドハンド

21日 22日 23日 24日 25日
26日 27日 28日 29日 30日

Note: there has been some mixing of pages, so in order to read it in the right order follow as this: …->22->24->25->23->26->…

第1話 研修医の夜 : start of reading exercises (on external forum)
第2話 ウナギとゴッドハンド : start of reading exercises (on external forum); then on wanikani
第3話 75歳の値段 : start of reading exercises

The Manga Available Online for Free
Episode 3 : 第3話 75歳の値段
Episode 2 : 第2話 ウナギとゴッドハンド
Episode 1 : 第1話 研修医の夜
Jisho: dictionary

★Formatting Guidelines and ideas↓

Color Coding

Finally asked and found out how to color code:

\color{red} \text{This is Red}

put a “$” before and after that, with a space in between.

More formatting information from @YanagiPablo:

(the LaTeX formating doesn’t work inside “details” nor “quote” blocks; so look at the original message)

First message is a lot more compact now, enjoying it. Nice additions those collapse triangles.

3 Likes

(index put in the main message)

A

Claiming :top:.

Analysis

この人…
That person…
Self-explanatory, nothing to comment here.

さっき手術おじいさんですね
Nothing complex here either. さっき means just now, おじいさん means male senior citizen here and the rest is just copula and the 『ね』ending particle.

That person is the old man who just got surgery isn’t?

1 Like

Claiming B

Analysis

Close-up:

今 means now, 『の』links 今 with ところ(所) which has the general meaning of place.

☆状態【じょうたい】condition, status; my first new word for today and it’s the topic of the sentence 『は』.

☆安定【あんてい】stability, steadiness; another new word. And finally this is している in the progressive.

As it stands now, his condition is stable.

1 Like

Claiming C:

Analysis

Close-up:

一応いちおい is also a new word for me. It means “more of less” with the connotation of not quite good enough.

手術 is surgery, we’ve seen tons of time before and it’s the topic of the sentence as marked with 『は』. 成功+した+『が』= a success with the が specifying something about the topic.

So far: About the surgery, it was more or less successful.

After that,
☆今後【こんご】from now on, another new word for me. It’s followed by the inclusive particle も.

☆意識

I’m putting this one bigger because the kanji on the right was hard to make out since it’s so crunched and compact. Another new word for me, 意識, read いしき is another new word for me, it means consciousness. Then comes the direct object 『を』who is going to tell us something about that.

☆回復かいふく is, another new word for me as indicated by the ☆ and it means recovery and it’s a ~する verb as indicated by the する which comes right after.

Hmm… the next bit could be harder. I lived in China for a few years so some characters are familiar to me although they might have changed meaning when they transitioned to Japan. I think this means “possible”. This would make sense as what follows is also familiar and I think it means long. So “the road to recovery might be a long one”.

After checking, 低い【ひくい】actually means the opposite, that is “short”.

To get back at 可能性【かのうせい】indeed means “possibility”.

The surgery was somewhat successful and the recovery to consciousness could be short.

(This one required more time as there were many new words).

1 Like

D.

I got a little time, so I’ll do D

Transcription:

重度の肝不全合併で昏睡状態…

(the sentence continues into next bubble)

Vocabulary
  • 重度【ジュウ・ド】: severe, serious (for an injury, illness) (重=heavy, 度=degree)
  • 肝不全【カン・フ・ゼン】: liver failure (note: it’s funny, even without knowing the word (I have to look it up) I could type it knowing each of the 3 kanji separately, and their main reading: 肝=liver, 不=negation, 全=whole (but also “fulfill”, which seems the (new for me) meaning here))
  • 合併【ガッ・ペイ】: I remembered the meaning (but not the reading) as it has been used some pages earlier (when presenting the status of a patient before a surgery); in the medical context, it means, for a disease, “developing into a complication”
  • 昏睡【コン・スイ】: (medical) coma (昏=dark, 睡=sleep); I recognized the word (but had again forgotten its reading… as it appeared already some pages ago); as I had to find it without its reading, I searched by components on jisho.org; it was quite easy, as it is ⿱氏日, both selectionable in the matrix of elements)
  • 状態【ジョウ・タイ】: condition; so 昏睡状態 = comatose state
Interpretation

で here is the te-form of the coppula I think;
but maybe I’m wrong…

重度の肝不全合併で昏睡状態…
=> “A severe liver failure developped, and a comatose state

which would be reworded in English as:
=> “A severe liver failure developped into a comatose state

2 Likes

Claiming D:

Analysis

Close-up:
:star:From now on, I’ll type the sentence in full. It’ll be easier for people to keep track of when correcting mistakes.

重度じゅうど肝不全かんふぜん合併かっぺい 睡状能

Unfinished, to be continued…

I need some help. This is a fairly rare occurrence but my dictionary software won’t recognise the kanji preceding 睡 there. I thought it was a radical but I can’t find it.

Edit:

Nevermind, I’ll let you do D.

1 Like

No, that が means “but” :sweat_smile:

Well, “low” in that case

一応 is a very hard nuance to translate in English, but in this case it’s more like “as it is”
“As it is, the surgery was successful, however the probability to recover consciousness is low.”

3 Likes

Claiming E:

Analysis

Close-up:

《食道静脈瘤破裂『に』よる大出血『で』腎不全『も』伴っている》

食道静脈瘤破裂 means a rupture of a varix of the oesophagus. Since I have no interest whatsoever in medical terminology I won’t even put the reading of that word. I’ll likely never stumble upon it again in my lifetime.

『に』indicates the location while よる is likely the v. meaning “to be due”. So the rupture of the vein of the oesophagus led to a lot of bleeding as indicated by 大出血 which is accompanied with renal failure (腎不全).
『に』indicates the location while よる is likely the v. meaning “to be due”.

So the rupture of the vein of the oesophagus led to a lot of bleeding as indicated by 大出血 which is accompanied with renal failure (腎不全).

1 Like

Oh wow, so misinterpreting 低い can really change the meaning of the sentence.

2 Likes

My understanding is that the subject particle が can only come after a noun; while the conjunction particle が (“but”) comes after a verb.

Would that be a correct way to tell them apart, or am I missing some cases ?

1 Like

@YanagiPablo:
I flagged my message to make it a wiki which it is now. You can now edit your link as you see fit.

@Naphthalene if you’d like to claim and share your knowledge it’d be a good time. Participation is low so I’d be a change from being by myself doing everything :disappointed_relieved:.

I’ve added page 21 in the first thread which covers F to J.

Claiming F.

1 Like

:rofl: fair enough. That being said, it’s simply the combination of multiple words. 食道 oesophagus is probably the least common in there, but you’d be surprised. 静脈 vein shows up often-ish as well, I lastly saw it in a light novel with gory details (no need to explain more I guess). 瘤 also appeared in the same book (with the meaning of bump rather than swelling, but still), interestingly :joy: it’s even included in a children song (well, without any kanji, obviously). 破裂 (rupture) is probably the most common of the bunch.

The subject が can also come after a nominalized verb, for instance. That’s technically a noun, but I feel it’s still good to keep that in mind. the “but” が can come after an i-adjective as well.

Sure, I’ll do a few.

1 Like

G

Transcription:
ラシックス(利尿剤)で尿量を確保して手術記録を書いておいてくれ
今 やる事はそれだけだ

Vocabulary

ラシックス name of a drug
(利尿剤)(explaining to the non medical expert that that was the name of a diuretic drug)
で particule indicating method
尿量 volume of urine
を direct object particle
確保する (in て form) to maintain
手術記録 surgery notes/records
書いておいてくれ please write (ておく means to do something for later/ in preparation for something, くれ is a way to give an order)
今 now
やる to do (informal)
事 thing
は topic particle
それ that
だけ only
だ (copula)

Interpretation

Use ラシックス (a diuretic) to maintain his volume of urine and please write the surgery report. Right now, that’s all that can be done.

I do not know if ラシックス exists in the English speaking world, and I don’t know how to look that up anyway :sweat_smile:

H

出久根先生
君には他の患者を紹介する

Vocabulary

出久根先生 Dr. Dekune
君 you
に particule indicating indirect object here
は contrastive particule (putting contrast with Dr. Saito’s situation)
他 other
患者 patient
紹介する to introduce

Interpretation

Dr. Dekune, I will introduce an other patient to you.

Sadly that interpretation lost the contrastive nuance of “I have other plans for you”, but I don’t really know how to work that into a natural sounding English sentence.

3 Likes

F.

@YanagiPablo if you want, there’s also the translation summaries to be added in. Shannon liked it when the sentences were compiled next to each other to provide a general reading comprehension.

Analysis

Close-up:

斎藤先生
Doctor Saitou

First Unit:
君『には』この患者『の』受け持ち『を』…
You will be in charge of this patient’s…

☆受け持ち【うけもち】to be in charge of.

お(polite prefix)願いする
Lol, nevermind, the を was just to introduce a polite request.

《斎藤先生, 君『には』この患者『の』受け持ち『を』お願いする》
Doctor Saitou, you will be in charge of this patient please

1 Like

I looked it up. In English it’s called “Lasix” and it’s administrated for, among other things, liver diseases.

I find your commentary super instructive. Especially about くれ to give an order.

Claiming I

2 Likes

I had analyzed 食道静脈瘤破裂 here; but didn’t knew that 静脈瘤 is actually 静脈+瘤; bumped vein, indeed that makes a lot of sense.

I’m surprised at 食道 being the least common; as it was the only one I could understand/guess the most easily.

the “but” が can come after an i-adjective as well.

Oh, yes. Actually I think of them both (動詞 and 形容詞) as a same category… is there a word for them both ?

1 Like

Wait, why is that in a different thread? I’m having trouble following the organization of this group :sweat_smile:. Do you just carry over unfinished pages to the next thread?

That’s entirely based on my experience, not on frequency lists or anything. Your mileage may vary :slight_smile: And yes, the meaning is fairly straightforward from the kanji; those are the best kind of words (from a learner’s perspective :stuck_out_tongue:).

Not that I know of, but I’m not very versed in formal grammar, so that doesn’t mean such word does not exist.

1 Like

J

何言ってるんだ…?
このくらい研修医一人でやるのはどの病院でも常識だぞ

Vocabulary

何 what
言ってる slurred 言っている to be saying
んだ slurred のだ adds emphasis
このくらい that much
研修医 doctor in training + 一人 one person → one single doctor in training
で particle indicating mean/method
やる to do (informal)
の nominalization
は topic
どの … でも which(ever) …/ in any …
病院 hospital
常識 common sense
だ copula
ぞ emphasis (not super nice)

Interpretation

What (the heck) are you talking about?
Having a single doctor in training doing that much is common sense in any hospital.

2 Likes

Claiming I:

Analysis

Close-up

え…僕と一緒じたいんです『か』?
This is a typical sentence with an ellipsis which always throws me off. But this time I caught it with its pants down.

He’s talking to his teacher with the glasses and asks him:* (You) won’t be together with me?*

1 Like