April 24th Daily Reading ブラックジャックによろしく Manga Episode 2

Links
April 23rd Reading
Episode 2
Episode 1
Jisho: dictionary

How can I participate?
①Choose one of the letters from the list below. Claim your letter by posting a reply in the thread here. That is so two people don’t end up doing the same letter.
②Edit your ‘claim reply’ with a vocabulary section where you list the vocabulary words and explain what they mean.
③In a reply to your ‘claim reply’, develop your interpretation. This will help people understand and learn from your explanation.

✩If you spot a mistake, explain to the user what it is and why it is incorrect.
✩If possible, correct your mistake based on the new information.

The story so far Saito finished med school and is now an intern; he will help with a surgery today at the Eternal Fortune University Hospital. He is an idealist who wants to be a doctor to help people as opposed to become rich. He once took a part time job which paid well but was in conflict with Saitou’s values and beliefs.

If you find the text too small, you can check the original here:
Episode 2: page 7

Currently available: E, F, G;

Taken: A, B, C, D;

1 Like

I’ll go ahead and claim A.

Transcription
≪用意『の』できた者『から』手術場『に』入るように≫

Vocabulary
用意【用意】n. preparation, arrangements, provision, getting ready;
『の』possessive particle;
できた: 一段 v. to be able to→past;
者【もの】n. a person;
『から』prt. from
手術場【しゅじゅつ】✚【ば】surgery + place = operating room;
『に』prt. to (direction, state), toward;
入る【はいる】v. to enter;
ように: expr. in order to;

Interpretation
I think the teacher is telling the interns that they need to get ready in order to enter the operating room.

I don’t know what 者 does here however.
How should I interpret 用意のできた I wonder. Why is it in the past?
Should I interpret 用意のできた as descriptive of 者? people + preparation + possible = not sure!

Because it’s already done.

ように is a soft imperative. So they should get in the operation room, starting from those who are already ready.

3 Likes

Ah thanks! Makes a lot of sense. I understand better now.

So I picked the wrong ように then. The ように you are referring to is:
ように(いう): to tell (somebody) to (do something).

Thank you for the input, Naphthalene.

1 Like

Right, there’s a lot of different ように. Just for fun, I checked in my grammar dictionary, and this one is meaning number 2 of the 3rd entry for ように.

1 Like

I’ll go ahead and claim B and C so that I don’t bump the thread too much, I realized I was doing that yesterday just now.

Transcription Ⓑ
≪全員そろった所で説明を始める『ぞ』ー≫

Vocabulary Ⓑ
全員【ぜんいん】adv. n. all members; everybody.
Note An ‘adverbial noun’. Now that’s an interesting concept. I had never paid attention to it before.
そろった: This is likely the kana version of 揃う, the past non-formal inflection of it:
そろう: v. to be complete, to be all present;
所【ところ】n. a place;
『で』I think it might be a conjunction here as opposed to the common ‘time of action’ and ‘means of action’. We’ll find out more once I start on the interpretation.
始める【はじめる】v. to begin;
『ぞ』sentence ending particle;

Transcription Ⓒ
≪ご存知かも知れない『が』大学病院『とは』教育●研究●診療『の』3つ『を』目的『と』した特殊な病院『で』あり

Vocabulary Ⓒ
ご a polite prefix;
存知【ぞんじ】n. knowing;
かも
知れない【しれない】v. knowing in the negative;
『が』subject particle (unless you aspire to the theory that there is no subject in Japanese);
大学病院【だいがくびょういん】n. university hospital;
『とは』particle compound I guess you’d call it. Not sure if you’re supposed to interpret as と+は or とは;
教育【きょういく】n. education, schooling, training;
研究【けんきゅう】n. study, research;
診療【しんりょう】n. diagnosis and treatment;
『の』possessive particle;
3つ: I believe this つ is a counter word;
『を』direct object particle;
目的【もくてき】n. purpose, goal, aim;
『と』maybe it’s a quotation particle here, not sure yet!
した
特殊 〜な adj. special, particular, unique;
病院【病院】n. hospital;
『で』part. manner of action;
あり: n. existing at the present moment;

The reason I didn’t know it was this one was because the いう was missing. Any idea why?

It’s not usually followed by いう. Edit: you just made me realize that you were talking about yet another ように. Sorry that I didn’t read carefully your previous message.

It can be followed by してください or something equivalent, but it’s standard to leave it alone.

Here are some examples from the dictionary I mentioned:

2 Likes

Thank you for putting up this. I’ll analyse the sentences to better understand them.

1 Like

I’ll take D

Transcription:

通常 大学の医学部に附属して設置されている
(文部科学省 大学設置基準)

1 Like

Vocabulary and interpretation:

• 通常【ツウ・ジョウ】: usual, common (I didn’t knew the word, but knew both kanji)

• 医学部【イ・ガク・ブ】: medical faculty;

• 附属【フ・ゾク】: attached, belonging to (I recognized it because earlier on the manga, the entrance to the niversity hospital has 永禄大学附属病院 on it)

• 設置【セッ・チ】1. establishment, 2. installation (of equipement). so 設置する = 2. to establish, 2. to equip (with devices)

• されている : passive+ている of verb する

• 文部科学省【モン・ブ・カ・ガク・ショウ】: ministry of education, science and culture (文=letters, culture; 科学=science; suffix 省 is used for ministry names)

• 基準【キ・ジュン】: standard, reference;

So, this actually the continuation of the previous (C) bubble.
And seems to be a quotation from the
文部科学省 大学設置基準 => “standard on the establishment of univiersities, of the ministru of education science and culture

The であり at the end of previous bubble is the formal である (= だ/です), in the i-stem form (… I shoul learn the proper terminology…); it serves the same purpose, but in a more formal/litterary mood, than the te-form (… and …).

So : (…特殊な病院であり)通常 大学の医学部に附属して設置されている
=> “(… is a special hospital that … and) is usually established and attached to the medical faculty of a university.

1 Like

Time to interpret this bad boy. I’ll begin with Ⓑ.
Everyone present here will begin.
I think this is the teacher telling the interns it’s about to start.

So I gave myself a bit of a break and admittedly started with the easier one of the two. Time to give © a shot now.

≪ご存知かも知れない『が』大学病院『とは』教育●研究●診療『の』3つ『を』目的『と』した特殊な病院『で』あり

In my vocabulary reply, I put that ご✚存知 but I found an entry in my dictionary for ご存知 as a whole for ‘honorific’ language. I think you said something about that YP but I can’t find it in your reply. So ご存知 has two possible meanings:
ⓐ knowing (which I guess in this case is a gerund);
ⓑ(an) acquaintance;

Then there’s the かも there and I don’t know what purpose it serves. I mean, I’m not sure. At first I thought it was part of ご存知かも but nothing comes up. So t he only logical conclusion is that it could be a particle. I have one which reads:
ⓐ may, might, perhaps;

知れない to know, negative. So:
You may not know this… It’s just a first draft.

『が』considering the context, it marks the contrast. *You may not have knowledge of this but

『とは』indicates a word being defined. In this case the teacher is going to define something about the university hospital.

So now, I see that he lists three things:
①Education;
②Study;
③Diagnosis and treatment;

which makes sense because it is immediately followed with the possessive/linking 『の』and 3つ(the counter word).

Then comes the direct object marker 『を』followed by 目的, the aim, the goal. I think next is the quotation 『と』as YP was mentioning the teacher was quoting something. The rest has already been explained by YP in his reply.

To sum up:
You may not know this but this university hospital’s three goals: Education, Study and Treatment makes it a special kind of hospital.

I think that it’s the general idea.

1 Like

I analyzed it as this:

• 存知【ゾン・ジ】: “knowing”, it’s actually humble vocabulary; however ご存知 is honorific vocabulary (meaning also “knowing”.
  • かも知れない : act as a suffix to say that something “may be”. か is the question particle, も = also/even particle; かも has that meaning of “perhaps, maybe”; 知る【し・る】= to know; 知れる is the potential, to be known; then negated. So Aかも知れない = lit. even A ?, it can’t be known / perhaps A, it can’t be known => it may be A, perhaps A.
  • so ご存知かも知れないが ( が here is “but, however”) : lit. but perhaps you know => “you may know”
  • であり is the formal である (= だ/です), in the i-stem form (… I shoul learn the proper terminology…); it serves the same purpose, but in a more formal/litterary mood, than the te-form (… and …).

ご存知かも知れないが大学病院とは教育・研究・診療の3つを目的とした特殊な病院であり通常 大学の医学部に附属して設置されている
=> “You may know that university hospitals are special hospitals that target three things, teaching/research/treatment, and are usually established and attached to the medical faculty of a university.

1 Like

Frame E :

narrator bubble:

つまり大学病院とは診療だけを目的とした病院ではないのだ

left pointing panel:

永禄大学医学部
(Eiroku University, medical faculty)

right pointing panel:

永禄大学附属病院
(Eiroku University, attached hospital)

Vocabulary:

• つまり : in other words, that is.
    (all the rest is vocabulary already covered in previous frames)
  • とする : I previously thought it was と+する; but it is actually a verb of its own, with various meanings revolving about the idea of do for a purpose; to use for, to to decide that, etc. And particularly: 9. to intend; to have the intention ​with を目的

つまり大学病院とは診療だけを目的とした病院ではないのだ
=> “That is, a university hospital is not a hospital that intends to (do) only treatment.

I’ll take F.

Should provide a close-up, it’s fairly small.

Transcription
本日の患者は75歳の男性
This one is too easy and doesn’t require much explanation.

“Today our patient is a 75 years old male”.

Here is frame G, so the page is completed

Transcription:

肝硬変による食道静脈瘤破裂と肝性昏睡を合併している

Some of the medical terms weren’t even in my Japanese input method…

Vocabulary:

• 肝硬変【カン・コウ・ヘン】: cirrhosis of the liver​ (肝=liver; 硬=stiff,hard; 変=change)
  • 食道【ショク・ドウ】: oesophagus (食=eating, 道=way); note: the word is an homophone of 食堂
  • 静脈瘤【ジョウ・ミャク・リュウ】: varice, varicose vein​ (note the quite uncomon “myaku”) ; it is actually 静脈(vein) + 瘤(bump)
  • 食道静脈瘤 : oesophagial varices
  • 破裂【ハ・レツ】: explosion; rupture; break off​
  • 肝性【カン・セイ】: I don’t find the word in my dictionaries, but 肝=liver, 性=nature, genre.
  • 昏睡【コン・スイ】: coma (the medical coma, not the “,” )
  • 合併【カッ・ペイ】: amalgamation; consolidation; but 合併症 = complications (in an illness)​ ; so maybe here 合併する : develop into a complication ?

Some more vocabulary, and interpretation:

• smth による : by means of smth, because of smth
  • 肝性 + 昏睡 : coma of liver-nature => hepatic coma

肝硬変による食道静脈瘤破裂と肝性昏睡を合併している
=> “Rupture of oesophagial varices and hepatic coma developed due to the cirrhosis

(despite the frightening amount of complicated kanji and words; once the vocabulary is defined, the sentence itself was simple)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.