April 23rd Daily Reading ブラックジャックによろしく: Community Reading Exercise

I installed this userscript: [Userscript] Forum: IME2Furigana

When I type using the microsoft IME and choose a kanji, it automatically adds the furigana.

Alright, gonna edit my post then!

2 Likes

You’re right about the University name. I had not mentioned it. I’ve already gone through the first episode in this story. That’s where they say he’s a poor intern at that university.

I’ll claim C.

Transcription
《ウナギ『とは』違うもんです『ね』》
*You might notice a few idiosyncrasies in my messages:
★I use 『particle』to indicate grammatical particles in my transcription. This is to help me to parse properly and to tell other learners that it is a grammatical particle in that context.

Vocabulary
ウナギ: n. eel.
『とな』quotation particle と used in conjunction with emphasis は (I think). We’ve run into this one before but there could be many functions to those two used together.
違う【ちがう】there is more than one meaning to this word among which:
godan v. to differ, to vary;
expression→Isn’t it, wasn’t?
At this point in time, I would say ① is the right meaning.

もん: a thing, an object;
です: copula, formal form;
『ね』sentence ending particle indicating expected agreement;

Interpretaton
I think he’s saying: Eels are different things but I don’t understand why. Is it as in: eels are more complicated to perform surgery on, explaining why he’s so fast at operating on people? Can someone help me understand?

I’ll claim D as well (is it possible to use color here? I’ve tried the [color] code and it doesn’t seem to work. I’ve checked the format guide threads and there’s no mention of color either (apart from highlighting). I would assume it is possible but I don’t know how).

Transcription
《見事な切り口です教授》

Vocabulary
見事な【みごと+な】〜な adj. total complete;
切り口【きりくち】cut end (incision?);
です: copula;
教授【きょうじゅ】n. professor;

Interpretation
This one is self-explanatory based on the vocabulary:
Superb incision professor”, the person is praising the surgeon’s skill.

I’ll claim E.

Transcription
《それじゃあとは頼みます》

Vocabulary
それじゃ: well then;
あと+『は』the past, what just happened followed by the topical は;
頼みます【たのみます】五段 v. to request;

Interpretation
I think it means that he thought it was interesting… I’m really not sure… perhaps it’s more along the line of: please ask for me if you need me;

I’ll go ahead and claim F.

Transcription
《私は研究『に』戻ります》
I think I can tell the meaning of this one at a glance but for thoroughness sake:

Vocabulary
私『は』: pr. 1st person + topic marker;
研究【けんきゅう】n. studies;
『に』indicates the receiver if an action/destination;
戻ります【もどります】v. to return, to go back;

Interpretation
I’ll return to my studies.

I’ll claim G

Transcription
《手術『を』続ける『ぞ』》

Vocabulary
手術【しゅじゅつ】n. surgery, operation, procedure;
『を』direct object;
続ける『つづける』v. to continue; I know this one from playing video games in Japanese;

Interpretation
Continue your surgery.

I’ll go ahead and claim H. I’ll add some more after since I did a lot of them so that other people have the opportunity to claim some. I’ll edit the new material in the first reply.

Transcription
《そこ『の』研修医こっち『に』戻れ』》
そこ: there;
『の』possessive particle;
研修医【けんしゅうい】n. medical intern;
こっち: n. this way;
『に』location;
戻れ【もどれ】v. to return to turn back; I got lucky on this one, I just saw it in the previous message!

The person is telling the medical intern to return to him

春日部 is actually the family name of “God’s hands” ;
his full name is (copied from Wikipedia, I wouldn’t have guessed the reading otherwise)

春日部 一郎(かすかべ いちろう)

(the special reading of that family name should be common enough as the author didn’t put furigana on it. If I write “kasukabe” in my input method it is the first choice)

1 Like

Yes I see it either like that (“ask me later”), or “please do after this”.

It depends on who is the subject of 頼む, and that I’m not sure.

1 Like

Salut!!!
Vraiment content de te voir ici. J’espère que Shannon viendra elle aussi.

I’ll go and claim I

I’ve added two new fresh pages in the first page in case someone wants to claim something. I realise it’s not easy, I still find it very difficult but practice makes perfect as they say. Each mistake teaches me something.

I is straightforward. Basically he’s saying “what is it now”. I realise this is a bit curt but there isn’t really much else to say about this one.

I’ll go ahead and do J this time.

So Saitou, the main character, was just called by a doctor there who’s likely a teacher as well I would imagine.

Saitou says:
Transcription
【この先生…早くはないけどすごく仕事がていねいだな…】

Vocabulary
この先生【せんせい】that teacher…;
くない【はやくない】fast, negative present form;
けど:conj. however;
すごく: adv. immensely;
仕事【しごと】n. work;
『が』subject particle;
ていねい: ~な adj. polite, courteous;
だ: non-formal copula;
『な』sentence ending particle)

Interpretation
That teacher is not very fast but
That part I can manage without too much effort.

It’s the next part I struggle with:
すごく means ‘awfully, very, immensely’ and I don’t see how I can apply that to 仕事 which is a noun.

The it’s just “is courteous”… will need to ponder this one.

I’ll claim one last bit for today, letter K. (I mistakenly claimed K before but I was doing J actually.

Transcription

《自分が病気『に』なったら 絶対大学病院『には』入院しないね…》

Will do the rest tomorrow, time for bed.

ていねい (丁寧) can also mean “careful, conscientious”; that’s probably the meaning here
=> “that professor… he isn’t fast, but (his) impressive work is conscientious

At first I understood that as him saying something like “but, those aren’t eels!” (remember he opened a belly, the intestines are visible).

What he said was somehow out of place, notice the looks of the present people.

I got the feeling that the professor lives on his old fame, but isn’t much able to do real surgery now.

自分が病気『に』なったら 絶対大学病院『には』入院しないね…》

Vocabulary
Since no one is asking any question I’ll just do the vocabulary I’m not familiar with, no point in detailing everything if it’s not helping anybody.

病気【びょうき】(n.) Illness;
絶対【ぜったい】(adv.) definitely, absolutely;
入院しない【入院】(する v.) hospitalisation;

If you yourself get that disease you definitely won’t be hospitalised at a university hospital.

It says “if you become the disease” but I guess it means to catch it.