獣の奏者 chapter 3, part 3 discussion

Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

獣の奏者 Home Thread

Chapter 3, Part 3: 幼獣の献上、幼獣の献上

Start Date: April 18th
Previous Week: Chapter 3, part 2
Next Week: Chapter 4, part 1

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2020-04-26T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve read ahead (or read the book before) but plan to participate, please vote for “I’m reading along”.

1 Like

I found this week’s chapter much less difficult to read. I read the first half in my hammock and the second half on my walk. I also went back and reread the part from last week that I didn’t understand, and I feel a little better about it (though not to full comprehension).

4 Likes

I also found this chapter to be much easier to read (read it yesterday already, so now I have the whole week to push my reading in 鹿の王 where I am (surprise!) struggling a bit in a world-building chapter :woman_facepalming: :joy: - oh hey, same author after all).

4 Likes

That makes sense!! I love world-building but it can be so very dense to a non-native reader~ <3

2 Likes

you read and walk at the same time? I find it hard to do it while walking straight. I prefer to not move while reading. Less dangerous unless maybe it was on a training machine?
Must be nice reading in a hammock.

I’m so happy this week was easier to read. Make it a more fun reading. New character again and new backstory. Not that I hate new characters but I kinda want to go back to Erin. Stangely talking about bee is easier than about history.

The parts I am not sure are

Spoiler

The part when he speak about his Father and brother. Did he mention that they want a new 真王 he is also saying he can’t hate his brother.

I remember something else. Just to be sure the assassin shot an arrow from a tree, through the wing of the queen beast that was flying then hit イアル in the stomach right.

I was not sure about the parade how the beasts were presented to the queen. I read on the chariot and was chained with the queen beast in the middle.

Thanks for the help as always

1 Like

And I’m all caught up, wee!
As for last week’s chapter, the thread looks like a more daunting read as far as I am concerned, so I may go see at some point what people had trouble with, not now :sweat_smile: or maybe not at all

5 Likes

I do most of my reading while walking around my apartment. I would never do it outside though. I find moving around helps keep me focused and alert whereas if I’m sitting or lying down I’m likely to get too comfortable and fall asleep.

2 Likes

I think we managed to come to a good understanding, so whichever suits you. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

No, he does not. He is wondering why people who do not have the real 大公 mindset get to be 大公, while he, who has that spirit, is only gonna be their retainer. Things would be easier if he could hate his brother and thus dispatch him after the death of their father (and thus get the title) but he can’t.

Right.

Well they were on 台車, one per beast and each beast was chained to its 台車. I’m not sure what you mean by “in the middle”.

1 Like

I did heard that moving help with concentration and learning. Although my appartment is so small that walking around will just get me dizzy. I would be too focus on dodging things than reading ha ha

Me neither I was just guessing but I gussed wrong.

Thank for the help.

1 Like

The „in the middle“ part was that while the beasts were all of the same type (the big bird that Erin watched) the one in the middle was a young one that was meant to be a birthday present for the queen (the other birds were all adults).

5 Likes

I wasn’t that crazy after all.

Thank you

1 Like

I don’t usually read and walk when the reading is in Japanese, but I wanted to keep reading and the weather was so nice… I walked slow on a wide path, making sure to look up frequently. :smiley:

Also I totally didn’t get the ‘in the middle’ part either so thank you (and @NicoleIsEnough) for the clarification! Honestly the trajectory of the arrow is still hard to picture for me (if a tree is up and a beast is down and a balcony-thing is up but the arrow goes through–no?) but obviously I’m missing something.

1 Like

I had the same problem when reading. Was she on a balcony? I was sure the assassin was in a tree he then shot the queen beast which was flying but not too high because of the chain so lower, then hit エイル who was on the ground. It seem like a straight diagonal line up to down. I could be wrong

But didn’t it hit the young one who can’t fly yet??

2 Likes

I’ve been procrastinating again, so only read 1-2 pages so far.

So that’s what you meant :sweat_smile: I thought you meant all 16 beasts were on a single trolley, and the trolley in the middle (of the place I guessed?). I didn’t think you were only talkinf about the chick.

She was on a stage (i.e. a raised plateform) so the arrow has to go straight (well, straight-er), even though the assassin is in a tree. Because the beasts are so big (エリン mentioned that they are the size of a person if I remember correctly), an adult one would have blocked the view (and the shot) of an assassin. Even with the chick, the fact it was agitated was really preventing the shot, so the assassin had to wait for one of the tamer to calm them down. Guess who gave the signal :stuck_out_tongue: still the chick was grazed by the arrow which saved the life of the bodyguard whose name I have already forgotten.

4 Likes

My kindle got confused and now it thinks there’s “9 minutes left in book”. Before it was something like 16 hours.

3 Likes

Look at that improvement in reading speed! All the book clubs sure paid off!

6 Likes

I really liked this chapter and it was easier than the history part :eyes: nugan seems an interesting character

3 Likes