ふらいんぐうぃっち Vol. 3 🧹

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess, because I think they’re kinda creepy. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

They can be both. A lot of good art is.

3 Likes

Same here. I get such an eerie feeling when looking at it. But I do have that with masks in general.

You can always buy the ebook version. :wink:

But yeah, Japan Post suspended mail services to a lot of countries on April 2nd: https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2020/0401_02_01_en.pdf

This should only affect Japan Post, so DHL orders should still be processed. The UK isn’t on there, so @Radish8 you should still get the book. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My copy arrived so I added the page numbers to the OP :slightly_smiling_face: will try to catch up this (long) weekend.

6 Likes

So I managed to get a hold of the ebook version and read the first chapter (yay!). Even though I’ll miss making notes and writing the meaning of the words I don’t know on the side, it’s a great replacement so I don’t fall behind again :grin:

I really enjoyed the first chapter, I got kinda scared when the ghost waitress appeared with that mask lmao it’s so creepy :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Chapter 14: 常連の鳴き声

11th April

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping out

0 voters

2 Likes

Chapter 13

Was wondering what ショコラ was. When I got to my computer to look it up, was a bit disappointed to find out it’s simply チョコレート (only, from the French chocolat). According to this page about the two words, some people call chocolate ショコラ because it’s more おしゃれ.

It would seem あかね agrees.

oshare

Chapter 14

The curse of knowing just enough when reading to not look up everything I don’t know: When あんず was confused by まこと’s comments, the reader is probably supposed to be confused along with her, but I kept thinking I’d missed an important point of context. It wasn’t until あんず realized the reason for まこと’s comments that I realized I hadn’t actually missed anything.

I like あんず’s first panel dialogue on page 31 foreshadowing page 46. (「ワンッ!」) And with that, I just realized that chapter 14’s title refers to the chapter’s very last page.

7 Likes

That whole section had me cracking up. I thought it was supposed to be obvious that まことis making a mistake…

3 Likes

Speaking of chapter 13, I think it’s rather poor form on Makoto’s part to make the waitress visible without her knowledge or consent.

6 Likes

Also poor form to make yourself invisible while waiting on people though :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Woah. This chapter felt like I was more reading than I was solely ‘studying’, the first half especially. That was a really great experience lol

A question tho

Page 44

Makoto: この建物の魔法を見て思ったんですけどこの喫茶店ってもしかして人じゃない方が来るんですか
First half is clear, “When I saw the magic of this building I thought…”, I know that the other part means something like “is it possible that non-humans come in here?” and as usual when typing questions in the forums they resolve themselves… I was about to ask about the non-human part, but I just remembered that 方 can also mean person, so 人じゃない方 means non-human person?

6 Likes

I’m in agreement with your conclusion. It’s exactly how I read it. If we’re wrong, we’re wrong together =D But it sounds pretty spot on to me.

5 Likes

It’s a bit confusing how 人 can mean “person” and “human(ity)” isn’t it

Finally got around to reading with a dictionary

Page 34

In the middle panel, Makoto says:
こっちの二人は居候先の親戚
How exactly does the 居候先 function here? I get that she’s saying she’s freeloading at their house, and that the 先 makes this happen, but I don’t really understand how.

Here’s something posted on Maggie Sensei’s Facebook page (I can’t find it on her web site):

Image with examples

So, you could say the place where you work parttime is バイト先, and the place where you are lodging for free is 居候先.

6 Likes

Chapter 15: 明日の明日は今にある

18th April

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping out

0 voters

1 Like

Lockdown is definitely getting to me. The Idea of leaving the house/meeting other people felt so alien!

On page 66, is Kei randomly using feminine speech in the second to last panel?

Also, did anyone get what was going on at the start of page 72? I feel like it’s some kind of reference to gambling…

3 Likes

It kind of looks like he’s empathising with the girls, based on the other speech bubbles…

(still) Page 66: what does the text in the lowest bubble mean?
screenshot

あー
っぽいな

1 Like

N+っぽい means like N

Summary

So まことっぽい would be “like Makoto” Kei just doesn’t bother repeating the noun in this case.
I’d translate as
Makoto: “I was a tanuki”
Kei: “Ah, that suits you”

5 Likes

Thanks, that makes sense! :blush: