獣の奏者 chapter 2, part 3 discussion

Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

獣の奏者 Home Thread

Chapter 2, Part 3: あまける獣、天を翔ける獣

Start Date: March 28th
Previous Week: Chapter 2, part 2
Next Week: Chapter 3, part 1

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2020-04-05T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve read ahead (or read the book before) but plan to participate, please vote for “I’m reading along”.

Spoiler

So even some 獣s can control the 闘蛇? I’m starting to feel bad for the 闘蛇 :sweat_smile:
That flying beast sounded horrifying.

1 Like

I’ve just got to this part :partying_face:

1 Like
Spoilers for Ch. 2, Pt. 3

I have so many questions now! Did the アーリョ learn about the 闘蛇 weakness by seeing the interaction between the 王獣 and 闘蛇 like エリン did? Or did they somehow hear the 闘蛇 use the modulating whistle among each other, since エリン seems to think that the whistle the 王獣 used was actually the 闘蛇’s own language.

Also, since the kingdom where ジョウン lives apparently keeps the 王獣 like the アルハン keep the 闘蛇, does that mean they also use the 音無笛 to control them and the special medicine to make them stronger? I think ジョウン mentions that the 王獣 are also sterile in captivity, which is what made me think that they also use the medicine. If that is the case, then do both countries’ control of the two 獣 stem from whatever calamity happened that the アーリョ wish to prevent in the future? Did the アーリョ originally teach these countries how to use the tools to control the 獣?

This book has been really engaging. I feel like I say this every time, but I can’t wait to read more!

7 Likes

This was a long chapter, but I couldn’t stop without finding out if ジョウン and エリン were going to be OK. :worried:

エリン’s musing on the 口笛 and the 闘蛇 were interesting, but… To know that her mom had to think about whether to safe her or not… :cry:

I thought that 暗い疑念が、頭をもたげてくる (towards the end of the chapter) was a strangely beautiful phrase.

4 Likes

Especially that the 2nd phrase is commonly used when talking about the 闘蛇 if I remember correctly?

2 Likes

I seem to remember it coming up before too - it would make this even more poetically fitting somehow. :smiley:
I’m afraid the pace is a bit too slow for me to remember details like this clearly. :see_no_evil: I tip my :tophat: to you.

1 Like

Uh, now it’ll feel bad if I’m wrong

1 Like

Better not check then! :joy: I’m mostly convinced you’re right though.

2 Likes

I’m really enjoying this chapter :eyes: I wonder if Erin will learn to work with the toda? I would love to overturn the inspectors :laughing:

2 Likes

You’re right! :grin:

2 Likes

I have a small question at 45%.

Question

雨がそのまま降りつづけば、あきらめて、引き返していただろう。

Why is 引き返す in progressive past test here? Is this some grammar (maybe in combination with ば) that would make this like “would have”? I say that because the next sentence is basically “but it stopped pouring, the sun came out, etc.”. If this is a specific grammar point that anyone has sources on that would be great, because I’m not quite sure how to search for this.

It is indeed „would have“. I just looked up the English grammar term (past conditional, I think?) + „Japanese“ to find lots of example sentences from hinative etc and also this on stackedchange with a more fleshed out explanation: (although the answer does say that you would use ている in front of the conditional ば as well, which is not the case here, so there seems to be some freedom on whether you really have to use the progressive everywhere. I also remember being taught in uni that anything ば + past tense at the end is equivalent to „would have“, but I might just be forgetting some steps)

2 Likes

5 Likes

It took me a long time to come back to reading this, but as always I was not disappointed.
Now to catch up.

7 Likes