獣の奏者 chapter 1, part 2 discussion

Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

獣の奏者 Home Thread

Chapter 1, Part 2: 蜂飼い、女王の飛翔

Start Date: February 29th
Previous Week: Chapter 1, part 1
Next Week: Chapter 1, part 3

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2020-03-08T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve read ahead (or read the book before) but plan to participate, please vote for “I’m reading along”.

1 Like

That was a quick read :smiley:

I have a question: This part uses エリンたち twice, but I don’t understand what it means as she is just alone? Here are the sentence parts in which it occurs:
。。。じっと立ちつくしているエリンたちの頭上を、。。。
エリンたちが近づくと、馬と山羊が、。。。

たち attaching to a name is used to refer to that person and the group that includes that person, contextually. In this case, it simply means “Erin and John”. The sentence focuses on the name that the たち is attached to, obviously (“Erin and John”).

Edit: Oh, I noticed that you were saying she’s alone. But no she wasn’t, John was next to her in both times, right?

3 Likes

Oh yes, that makes sense, thank you! I was of the impression that she was rather on her own, especially in the second scene when she approaches the pasture, but now that I reread it, it starts with おじさんについて. So it all fits together neatly :slight_smile:

1 Like

On page 101, the つく in 天をつく is 着く, right?

According to goo and weblio it is 天を衝く.

2 Likes

All the scenery talk is a bit rough so far. Gonna have to come back to this tomorrow since I’m just staring at the words at this point and not taking anything in.

2 Likes

p96 (Aoitori bunka version) I looked up 鴨居(かもい)
障子や襖など、引き戸の上枠で、溝が彫られた部材のこと。

(Totally not essential to the plot, I was just curious)

10 Likes

Okay, after that wasn’t too bad. Finished a bit late this week, but still on time.

4 Likes

p102 (Aoitori bunka version)
I was curious about what the 突きあげ式の窓 in the 倉 might look like.
I’m thinking probably like these 突き上げ窓

8 Likes

I’m a bit late this week…schools have closed in Italy and I have to restart a new routine :crazy_face:

1 Like
Page 104

枝にとまってしまえば、半日ぐらいは、まず動かない。急激な動きをする者が近寄らない限りはな。

Is the ば in とまってしまえば different from the conditional? He’s talking about what actually just happened and then describing what will happen next, so it being a conditional seems strange to me. Am I just overthinking it?

Page 106

おじさんについて、家の西側にまわっていくと、厩と山羊の囲いがあった。

What is the purpose of について here over just は? I have a vague understanding that について means “regarding” or “about”, as in “regarding the おじさん”, but I don’t know why this would be used specifically for this sentence. I think it was used twice this chapter, though I don’t remember where the other usage was.

2 Likes

p104 I think it is conditional, because he is talking about what would be expected to happen, under normal circumstances.

p106 It’s について meaning together with, from 付く

4 Likes

Ah! That makes much more sense!

1 Like

Is he, though? I think he says „When (or, more natural: Once) they have settled down on a twig, they won‘t move for about half a day.“ So in English I would also use a conditional, I guess.

1 Like

Well, in that “when” case I’m used to seeing たら. Unless this is different for some reason.

I believe たら expresses more of one-off occurrences in such cases (unless if we’re talking about a habit, which たら can be used for). If it’s a general occurrence that happens constantly when the condition (especially non volitional conditions) applies, ば would be the way to go I think. “Once A happens to happen, B” as @NicoleIsEnough is best to describe this.

1 Like

I don’t get this sentence :crazy_face:

べつに、生意気だとせめてるわけじゃないから、きにせんでいい。

1 Like
Summary

別に、生意気だと責めてるわけじゃないから、気にせんでいい。

別に、 生意気だ と 責めている わけじゃない から、気にしなくていい。

xからy, something like – It’s not like I’m (particularly) criticizing you as being impertinent, so you don’t have to worry (about that).

4 Likes

2 Likes