霧のむこうのふしぎな町 | Week 7 Discussion 🌬 🏘

Pages 70 - 82

Chapter 3: リナ、はじめてはたらきにでる

Start Date: 1st February
Last Week: Chapter 3.1
Next Week: Chapter 4.1

霧のむこうのふしぎな町 Home Thread

We’re reading to the end of Chapter 3 this week!

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

4 Likes

Might be just me, but the strange dialect of the beginning aside, I feel this book gets more difficult the further I get into it =._.=

To add to my frustrations…

facepaws

A couple questions please meow

At 35%

「あれが、ナータのたった一つの欠点さね。早とちりなところもあるが、まあそこは本人も気にかけているようだから、欠点にはかぞえますめえ。

So, here John is saying that her weird food tastes are ナータ’s only flaw. Then, however, 早とちり (jumping to conclusions?) seems to be introduced. Since John used たった一つ I find it strange that immediately he mentions another flaw =o.O=

Then he says that the person in question is aware about this tendency to jump to conclusions (was that the cause that at first she dismissed Rina because she thought she was looking for a book?). So, what exactly he means with 欠点にはかぞえます?

Also, is that めえ at the end supposed to be a ねえ?

Also at 35%

あごを三重にも四重にもしながら、うなずいた。

I feel I am missing some meaning of あご here. jisho says jaw (or barb of a fishhook, but that’s probably not the case here?), then marks it with を. But what’s the verb exactly here? しながら looks like the only candidate but what on earth would “do jaw three-fold / four-fold” even mean? Is this somehow referring to how the jaw would move when うなずいた (nodding) ?

Any help is appreciated!

3 Likes

I must confess I read straight over that sentence and presumed the めえ must have some sort of negative effect, as I came to the same conclusion as you about the overall meaning of the sentence. However I couldn’t find anything useful to prove it, sorry. Hopefully someone with access to a native speaker might be able to help!

二重あご

I assume it implies that she is nodding to such an extent that she gives herself something with even more folds than your typical “double chin”. Maybe? :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

The めえ is まい in his dialect, the negative だろう
(So he says you can hardly count this as a flaw だろう)
I can’t link anything at the moment, but I’m sure if you google you will find it

7 Likes

Thank you @Kyasurin and @Myria for the explanations!

Another question please meow.

At 37%

「そいつは、 口の中ヘいれると、ブチュと中のあまいクリームがでてくるんだ。 でも、 ふとんないから心配いらないよ。」

So here the boy in the swimming suit explains Rina that the candy she took out of the bag has some cream inside that comes out when you put the candy in your mouth. However, I have no idea what ふとん means in the last sentence =._.=
Or at least, I don’t see how the futon normally used as bedding is related.

Any help is appreciated!

2 Likes

I believe ふとんない a contraction of ふとらない - basically he’s saying she won’t put on weight (if she eats it), so she doesn’t need to worry.

4 Likes

That makes sense, thank you!

sighs at the fact that 太 is a kanji taught in grade 2 and they still decided not to put it there =._.=

3 Likes

Okay, some questions from page 71 if anybody can help:

リナが、ナータの早とちりで、どうしていいかわからなかったけさのことを話すと、

I get that Rina is telling John about this morning’s incident, where ナータ jumped to the wrong conclusion, but I don’t understand that どうしていいかわからなかった part?

いつはいってきたのか、ジェントルマンも、リナ足もとにきちんとすわって、ジョンの話にあわせて、こっくりうなずいた。

I feel like I’m just not getting something very simple, but what does the first part - いつはいってきたのか - mean?!

And a quick question from page 72 to add: does キヌさん used と in place of て when using the て-form? I’m assuming she’s saying 洗っていてあげる and だしてきなさい, where she has 洗っといてあげる and だしときなさい?

A little confused at what’s going on at 34%. So Rina crushed/messed up the sleeves and got dirt all over the clothes she borrowed. Obaasan told her she should wash them her own (but doesn’t have confidence that Rina can?) and then Iichan and Kimusan are a little mad at her, and Obaasan is pretending not to notice? Does this: あなたにはまだ無理だわ mean “It’s not yet impossible for you”? Thanks for the clarification!

Ah, no, I think you’re muddled with who’s speaking. As far as I understood, the order of events is (mind, I don’t have the book directly to hand!):

too much to blur!

Kinu-san says that Rina’s dress is covered in dust, and that she’ll wash it for her. Rina is aware that ピコットばあさん would be very unimpressed by this, so Rina says she thought she would do it herself. Secretly though, she is worried that she’ll crush the sleeves and mess it up.

Kinu-san then says something along those lines, that she’s too young / inexperienced and will mess the dress up - that’s the sentence you quote - “it’s still not possible for you”. So Rina says that in that case she’d be grateful for the help.

5 Likes

Thank you! That makes much more sense. I’ll read the passage again.

1 Like

What I don’t understand now is ブチュ. I haven’t seen it on jisho.org or the spreadsheet. Do you know what it means?

Whenever I see something like that, I just assume it’s a sound effect / sensation that isn’t covered explicitly by the dictionary. So it’s literally that the cream will come out with a ブチュ sound / sensation.

If you search generally you’ll often find things like this listed on sfx sites:

http://japan-and-me.com/japanese-sfx/

This suggests a translation of “smooch”, so I’d say the cream kind of slurps out :grin:

7 Likes

I see! So, it’s sort of an onomatopeia. Thank you very much! :relaxed:

1 Like

Yes! - no problem. If you ever see things with a と, definitely consider that it may be onomatopeic :grin: but especially katakana, or repeating sounds (like きらきら).

I‘ll try to throw in some answers, but be warned that I don’t have any context to double-check my translations :wink: So if it doesn’t make sense, please ignore me ^^

This is an embedded question, a very common pattern:
どうして - why
いい - good
か - embedded question marker
わからなかった - did not know

She (?) did not know why it was good.

I think this just has a は for contrast:
いつ - when
は - contrast
いってきた - went and returned
の - explanation
か - question

When (on the other hand?) did you (?) leave and come back?

といて usually is a slur of ておいて - to do something in advance, or to leave something as is. Does that fit here?

2 Likes

I believe in this case it is どう+して as in ‘how to do’ - that thing this morning Rina wasn’t sure what she should do about.

Weblio has this to say about いつは. Meaning one seems to be ‘at a certain time’, so maybe this is just ‘having returned at some point (that Rina wasn’t fully aware of)’. I am not a 100 percent on this one though.

And yeah the といて is usually ておいて like @NicoleIsEnough said.

3 Likes

Isn’t that just いつ入って来たのか? That’s how I read it at least.

6 Likes

I second what Napht said. I think it’s just saying that she didn’t know when Gentleman came in. :cat2:

I thought maybe this was a version of どうしたらいい “that she didn’t know what to do about”

Edit: oops, sorry Belerith I didn’t realise you’d already answered this!

4 Likes