Pages 57 - 69+

Chapter 3: リナ、はじめてはたらきにでる

Start Date: 25th January
Last Week: Chapter 2.2
Next Week: Chapter 3.2

霧のむこうのふしぎな町 Home Thread

Last sentence of pages 69-70 for eBook readers:
リナは、ナプキンをたたんでいるとき、黒パンとたくあんのあいだにマヨネーズがぬうてあるのを見て、おべんとうをもたせてくれたジョンに感謝した。
There’s a small section break here as well.

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

7 Likes

Done with this week! Tried to fill in some stuff in the vocab sheet, but I really don’t have any idea how much or how little need there is for all the words. It amounted to around the same number of words as the last week, so I think it should be okay? Hopefully it will help some people in parsing the kana mess that I just now fully realized when taking the sentences apart.

10 Likes

You hero :sob: going through it now and adding page numbers / a few extra words. My mind was blown when I opened up the spreadsheet and saw just how many words had been added :grin:

6 Likes

Ah, I’d kind of gotten out of the habit of identifying questions :sweat_smile:

Page 60

通りをあるきながら、リナは、まったく「めちゃくちゃ通り」とはよくつけたものだと思った。

Just want to check the よくつける part - she’s saying it’s “well-named”, right?

そして、ナータとかトケとか、どこの国の人ともわからないかわった名まえの人たちが住んでいる。

I’m not too sure about that とも following the first 人; the dictionary says it can be used as a suffix meaning ‘both; all; neither; none’, which could fit, but then I’m struggling to parse the sentence even though I kind of get what it means.

6 Likes

Funny coincidence, I’m reading a different book at this very moment and just encountered とも :joy_cat:
So I thought I’d figure out what it means in my book’s context and then see whether that fits here as well - and it seems like it does :slight_smile:

I take it to have the third meaning in Jisho, number 3: without even, without so much as.

This would turn your sentence part into something like: without even knowing which country this person / those people came from , I guess? (sorry I have no context on this yet…)

I have not read this week’s assignment but your first translation sounds very plausible to me. I guess the literal meaning would be something like “well-assigned”, but yes, what you said is exactly that.

5 Likes

That’s what I thought too. :slight_smile:

I have been searching unsuccessfully for something which explains this, but no luck so far. However, my understanding of the meaning is: The people living there had strange names, like Naata and Toke, that gave you no idea of which country they came from.

7 Likes

Thank you for your hard work, I make ample use of the spreadsheet(s), so it’s certainly helpful!

2 Likes

I bought the Italian translation to check my understanding and (among the omitted sentences :crazy_face:) I went ahead and …I love this book. Really love. I’m at 82% in the Japanese one and I got some difficult sentences to parse but it’s doable and beautiful.

3 Likes

It’s like that even in my understanding.

I got to the librarian and I love her already :star_struck:

3 Likes

She’s eating たくあん and mayo? :nauseated_face:

5 Likes

I know someone who likes smoked salmon with Nutella….

3 Likes

I hadn’t reached that part :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

If I could I would erect a statue of you in my living room! Thank you!

4 Likes

It seems this is where it gets interesting.

I was almost done with the week’s reading when suddenly a thousand food vocabulary words.

7 Likes

Hello all,

I was hoping to get some feedback (and an answer to a couple questions) on sentences I’ve been having a hard time understanding. Hope everyone is enjoying the book as much as I am!

Text

27%

と、例の調子でまたききかえした。

She listened repeatedly again to the example’s tune (??)

「さあ、朝飯がちまいますよ。

28 %

今、ごらんのようにとりこみちゅうなのよ。

If it’s in order to look, I am in the middle of something.

29%

早口でまくしたて、本の山の一か所をペンでしめして、そそくさといこうとした。

Talking fast, she took out a pen from one pat of the book mountain, trying to hurry.

女の人がいってしまうとするのを見て、あわてて、「ちがうんです。」とさけんでしまった。

Seeing that the woman is trying to say, confused, screamed “that’s different.”

このひとをつまらせている間に自分が話さないと、話す暇などないと思ったのだ。

While this person was choking, she couldn’t talk by herself, and I thought she wouldn’t be free to do something like talking.

パンはぶじにのどを通過したらしく、女の人はまたしゃべりはじめた。

She appeared to safely pass the bread through, and the woman started to talk again.

3 Likes

It turns out 例の (rather than 例 in isolation) means “the usual”. 調子 here is likely “manner; way”.

So this is more like “She asked again in her usual manner” (referring to the fact that なんていったんだい seems to be something of a catchphrase for ピコットばあさん).

Slight typo here: it’s さあ、朝飯がさめちまいますよ。 It’s the verb さめる, “to get cold”, followed by John’s interesting take on てしまう. So this is something like “hey, breakfast is getting cold, you know”.

ごらんのように as a phrase in itself means “as you can see”. I recommend the vocab sheet :wink:

I don’t have time right now to look at the rest in detail, except to say that in the last sentence she definitely swallowed some bread, not a pen :grin:

8 Likes

Where did you get that meaning from? I can’t find it on jisho.

It’s two separate words.

I didn’t quote it properly, I meant only つける.