Pages 7 - 11

Chapter 1: リナ、霧の谷へ

Start Date: 14th December
Next Week: Chapter 1.2

霧のむこうのふしぎな町 Home Thread

Last line(s) for eBook readers:
「わたし、ほんとうにまいごでも家出でもないんです。ただ、道をききたいだけなんです。」

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

9 Likes

We have begun!

I wanted to share some important points right away, which nobody will read because it’s too long, but at least I can say I told you…

Vocabulary Sheet

Please read the guidelines in the first sheet!

The more people contribute to the vocab sheet, the easier the job is for everyone, so please don’t be shy about adding words. We often have issues at the beginning with people not following the guidelines though. The most important points that get missed:

• don’t add a word if you aren’t confident of its meaning or how to parse it
  • entries must be in dictionary form, not conjugated however they are in the book
  • do not include kanji unless they’re present in the book
  • don’t dump the entire dictionary entry in the ‘meaning’ column; remove alternative spellings, limit it to only the relevant translations, etc. - no entries wider than one column width

Asking Questions

ASK QUESTIONS! Seriously, ask ALL the questions!

Questions help everybody. Other people might be too shy to ask the question you post. Someone might not realise they’d misunderstood a sentence until seeing your question. The person answering your question might deepen their understanding of the topic, or realise they hadn’t paid enough attention.

Clearly include the page number or percentage. It makes it so much easier for people to answer your question, and for other people to search for answers in the thread.

Do not post spoilers for the week. Lots of people keep up with the thread before they’ve finished the week’s reading. Please blur out anything interesting that happens using [spoiler] ooooo text here! [/spoiler]. Err on the side of caution.

Reading

The first few pages of a new book are always hard. You dive in headfirst with no context. Try not to get discouraged!

Some setting to help people ease in: Rina (リナ) has just arrived at this town’s station. She is travelling on her own, and asks a passerby the way to the Valley of Mist.

Some characters in this book speak with a dialect. Hopefully somebody with literally any knowledge of this subject can provide us with more help, but so far my highly intellectual understanding is that we’re going to see k sounds becoming g sounds, and t sounds becoming d sounds. You can see this in the passerby’s response to Rina, where she says さあ、きいだごどねえなあ - i.e. さあ、きいたことねえなあ.

okay GO GO GO! :open_book:

12 Likes

I read this section on the train last weekend. So far so good!

6 Likes

聞いだごどねえな or something like that.

Dialects are weird…

5 Likes

Excellent!

Yeah, I knew it was a good example! Just couldn’t remember the exact sentence :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve read it all and I don’t think it was too long :blush:.

It’s my first time reading along and I’m really excited to start it with all of you. At the same time, I know that I’ll be one of those people who ask lots of questions, so I hope you will be able to stand me in the end ;).

10 Likes

yatta! It won’t me just asking all the silly questions this time hehe

Don’t worry… Everyone is pretty patient and helpful :wink:

7 Likes

A few rules to read the dialect:

• many mora get random dakuten (well, it’s not random, but eh). See the example from @seanblue:
  • る in front of か行 (so か き く け こ) gets dropped into a っ
    Ex: 「いま、しらべでやから。」 (Note also the extra dakuten from the previous rule)

• the に particle becomes さ
    Ex: 「どごいきてのす?」

With just those 3, I think 80% gets readable.

11 Likes

Do you have an example? :thinking:

1 Like

Added :slight_smile:
It’s from the book itself, but I don’t think I need to blur since there no context (well, I’m going to read the rules from @Radish8 and edit if necessary :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m mostly concerned about translations anyway, cos I reckon most beginners’ Japanese isn’t so good that they instantly understand a sentence their eyes pass over :wink:

3 Likes

I assume this is 東北弁?
I got a cheat sheet recently for watching a movie that had lots of 東北弁, it might help someone (Standard Japanese in brackets):

17 Likes

Ah, yes, looking at the Wikipedia page, it seems さ can also be へ. (Well, in the context we give, both へ and に can be used)

Also, very important one (will add later to the list above): す at the end of a sentence is ね. So のす-> のね

Also, I think it’s 津軽方言, one of the most hardcore version of 東北方言. It was also used in flying witch.

Edit: after reading again, it’s not that dialect :frowning:

6 Likes

I haven’t started reading yet, but I did bring up “page 1” on my e-reader.

giphy

17 Likes

My thoughts exactly! It’s like I’m a little kid… Where are all the pictures!

Yeah… I don’t have the book in front of me directly to confirm my recollection, but almost all the dialect I remember seeing was stuff in sentence enders. Lots of ごど instead of こと and がら instead of から; stuff like that. The author seemed to be pretty good at keeping most of the important vocabulary in the sentence readable, as far as I could tell.

7 Likes

Me, before starting to read: “I’ve got this. This is written for kids. I can handle it.”

Me, moments later: “What does 思いきって mean? I’ve never encountered this before!”

Spoiler: 思いきる means “to make up one’s mind” I feel like this is one of those words I’ll hear all the time in anime now (when I make the time to watch any).

I think I’m following the lady’s accent, but I’m not too concerned over every little bit of it.

Reading an actual text novel on an e-reader (as opposed to images) is my first chance at actually reading vertical text with word-wrapping that wasn’t controlled by the author. For example, one line ending with 「ただま」 and the next beginning with 「っすぐに」. I’m fine with it horizontally, but vertically will take some getting used to. ただ まっすぐ に

About six sentences in, I’m ready for a break =)

Oh, hey, I have 76 WaniKani reviews waiting for me. I’d better go get those done.

6 Likes

yeah… what was it we both said… “it will take more time than you think”… understatement of the year!

This might be too hard for me haha… Not gonna give up yet though!

4 Likes

While it’s obviously derived from 思い切る, it also has its own dictionary entry both in jisho and monolingual dictionaries. I’ve definitely seen it several times in this adverb form.

4 Likes

Hello everybody! I just want to thank you. I think the reading club idea is super great. The rules and google sheet are very well thought. This is the good power of technology.

I recently moved to Japan and I received the 霧のむこうのふしぎな町 few days ago. This book reading seems to be very challenging for me but I’ll give a try: the ready to use shared google sheet vocabulary is super useful. It prevents me to stop reading for too long for looking the translation of actually most of the words.

However, could you share the link for the lower level of the booking club? I like WaniKani forum style but I still need to get handy in using it, so I could not find how to reach and saved a thread such as this one or the general reading club “threads”. Is it possible to save threads like this and have it in a sort of personal homepage? Please, forgive me for being a bit off topic, but I really want to have this thread to be present in what could be my WaniKani community homepage!

Thank you very much!