ふらいんぐうぃっち | Week 6 Discussion 🧹

Chapter 5: 魔女への訪問者

Start Date: 23rd November
Last Week: Chapter 4
Next Week: Chapter 6

ふらいんぐうぃっち Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current week’s pages and any content from later in the book/series, like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn and someone else will probably be grateful you asked!

• People usually find that they engage with and enjoy the discussion much more if they don’t read ahead, though of course it’s up to you :wink:

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping the book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

10 Likes

I read the previous chapter at 11 last night. ^^;

4 Likes

Good job I forgot to post this before I went to bed :wink: perfect timing!

4 Likes

And then I read this weeks chapter really early. I think this is my favorite chapter yet.

3 Likes
Page 115

i_0115%20television

Page 116, first panel, Makoto says:

「私 今日一人で帰ってこれたんです!」

Is this これた the potential past tense of くる, meaning “was able to (帰って)くる”? Once I got past wondering why there was a これ in the middle of the sentence, that’s what I determined, and it seems right to me. Thought I’d check here just in case there’s something obvious I’m missing.

「迷わず」

I have yet to get used to ず being a form of negative. Eventually I’ll get used to it.

Page 117: The curse of the tiny print on small ebook images strikes again. Looks to me like:

ちなつ:「毎日かいてるの?」
まこと:「そうですよー」

Page 118: I want to say “creepy”, but I don’t know if that’s a mask or a true face. It’d be rude to call someone’s face creepy, you know? But by page 119, I can tell it’s a good guy.

Page 120: 「どちらさま でしたか?」 Thanks to Chinatsu’s response, I get what Makoto is asking, but can anyone give a breakdown on what どちらさま means?

Page 121: First panel, is Chinatsu asking what the phone number for 110 is?

Makoto has tiny print next to her in the second panel. Perhaps: 「百十番は110ですよ」

Page 122: Ah, I pre-planned to read up through this page, then switch to something else. But I feel like I just reached the cliffhanger end of an episode! Must be patient until I read the latter half of the chapter tomorrow.

10 Likes

110 is usually said “ひゃくとうばん”

Touban also means being on duty, so it possible she didn’t know that was supposed to be the number 10.

8 Likes

I’d admit, I was wondering about that pronunciation being used for 十. Good to know!

2 Likes

I have a silly question and not sure if this really a bookclub question but it’s been bugging me quite a bit… it does come up on page 114 (p114)

I understand what is being asked, but wondering if someone could explain why this is more correct or more natural Japanese?

Page 114 / p114

じゃあ 何か
買ってきてほし物ある?

I get that what is being said is well then, is there anything you want me to buy … but I keep finding these Te forms with 来る (which in English should be going not coming… in any case) that make me wonder why this is more correct or more natural than simply saying or using 買ってほしい物ある?

What is the difference in overall meaning (or why is it done this way)? Saying Is there anything you want me to buy and come home with vs is there anything you want me to buy are basically the same…

I’ve noticed it quite a bit in this book and just wondering if someone can explain it a little better …

Thanks!

3 Likes

買って来る is the main expression here, meaning “to go to buy and then come back”. I found a bit of a writeup on it, maybe that helps you somewhat. (It does not explain the てほしい part but gives examples with てくれない which is sort of the same thing.)

Hope this helps you; if not, please keep asking!

7 Likes

YES MOAR がてら.

That is all.

Well, ok, not all. I like the design of 運び屋さん and 千夏’s reaction to him.

11 Likes

どちら is who (third definition on Jisho) + さま honorific. Makoto being polite :slight_smile:

Page 122

お嬢ちゃんをとって食べるわけじゃないんだ頼むよ。。。ここを開けてくれないか
お嬢ちゃんをとって - young girl… I can’t make sense of the とって at all… I guess it might be a quote of some sort?
食べるわけじゃないんだ - It doesn’t mean that I’ll eat you with explanatory ん + copula?
頼むよ - I request
ここを開けてくれないか - Wont you open for me?

“Young lady, I’m not going to eat you, I’m asking you to let me in” would be the gist of I understood.

4 Likes

I thought that might be what it is. I’ve never heard that level of politeness expressed in such a situation. I think I’m beginning to doubt the true politeness of every other overly polite manga/anime character I’ve even seen before now!

4 Likes

That has me confused as well. Does this work in conjunction with 食べる when read as below?

取る 【とる】

3. [v5r,vt] to eat; to have (a meal)

Edit:

Something similar (other reading of 食): 取って食う(トッテクウ)とは? 意味や使い方 - コトバンク

Meaning:「手に取って食い殺す。凶暴なことをする。」

Oh my word.

4 Likes

Thanks for this! I couldn’t figure out why it was better or more correct… but based on this I think I understand so if I was going to run to the store for a minute and ask someone if they wanted something I would use 買って来る. It’s not grammatically wrong to use 買ってほしい, but it’s not natural Japanese from the looks of it. But if I was going shopping later and maybe not coming straight back home (or here) then it’s better to just use 買う.

The てほしい didn’t bother me at all…I’ve seen this grammar but since you mention it…if someone doesn’t know it here it is on bunpro: てほしい - Japanese Grammar Explained | Bunpro

1 Like

@Kappa420 is correct…

Interesting you asked…because the same thing showed up on the first panel of page 106 (previous chapter) and no one asked about it then… I figured this one out knowing こちら / そちら+様… my understanding is if a person is right there and you are introducing them, this is or that is so and so…it’s rude to use これ・それ when referring to people. I don’t remember where I heard it or read it, but seeing どちら is the same thing…instead of どれ.

1 Like

I had read that chapter while on a bus and didn’t make note of it to inquire about (and then promptly forgot all about it, since I got the gist of its meaning). I read the first half of the latest chapter at home where I could easily type up a comment as I went =)

1 Like

ok my first silly question of the day…

Page 114 / p114

What’s up with this…last panel

そゆことか

where to parse and what does this mean?

Why is it that hiragana is becoming more painful than kanji :laughing:
but…katakana is still the worst :rage:

3 Likes

そういうこと

Have fun with things written as they are said! =D

This question is one of the biggest signs of progress for a Japanese learner!

10 Likes

Thanks!

of course it’s something simple and grammar I already learned… in case anyone else needs it…

Thanks…I still feel completely lost most of the time though :wink:

p113

おいしそうなの食べてる
I’m being overly pedantic here, but it bothers me that I can’t figure out what な and の are doing here. I get the idea of what the sentence means, though. My guess is that な is the adjective な, and that の is “it.”

Okay, so that explains the 迷わず part of 迷わずまっすぐ, but what does the まっすぐ part mean? And the whole thing? Figured it out.