一週間フレンズ Home Thread

I’m so sorry that I forgot to post this at the time :see_no_evil:

Victory Poll

• I finished 一週間フレンズ!
  • I plan to finish it, but haven’t yet
  • I just like to clicky clicky

0 voters

3 Likes

Those who’ve finished the volume, how would you rate it (where 5 is excellent and 1 is terrible)?

0 voters

1 Like

I really like the series, and reading the first volume was quite entertaining. The switch between 4koma and normal manga style was kind of fun :slight_smile:

For myself, I realized after week 2~3ish that I have serious grammatical weak points. I felt lost with most explanations in here, as I did not understand the most basic basics… Sometimes I spent hours trying to understand a word and it’s meaning, only to realize that I split the hiragana the wrong way between words/particles/conjugation additions… Therefore I now scheduled grammar lessons with genki I and am learning everything properly from scratch.

4 Likes

Was this one of your first manga? I felt like it was super dense, so props to you for perservering.

1 Like

It was my first in-depth reading of one. I have many others at home, I think it piled up to 300ish Japanese volumes. (Jup, Manga collection junkie, that’s why my German manga collection excels 3.800 volumes :rofl:)

I “read” all of them, but mostly I just fly by the pages, reading single panels here and there, as I already know the story from the translation I also own.

Therefore I never really learned anything by “reading” them (which is quite dumb, to be frank) :thinking:

1 Like

I guess I’ll comment since I just watched the first three episodes of the anime (without subtitles!), which covers the first volume. (I watched the anime years ago, but don’t really remember much.)

So far I like the story. The two main characters are nice (and they’d make a cute couple). Even though I didn’t read the manga, I can definitely see how some parts would be a lot easier than others. There were scenes where I could understand nearly 100% of the dialogue and other times where I was completely lost (partly from speaking speed, but also due to unknown vocab). Unlike reading, it was hard to look stuff up, even in some moments where I was completely lost but wanted to. For example, the first scene with Hase’s friend on the roof with Fujimiya, he was talking about fairly complex topics that I didn’t understand just from listening.

5 Likes

I really enjoyed reading this manga. Despite its unlikely premise, the characters have depth and a fun dynamic among themselves that makes it really interesting to read.

My only complaint, which is not really the manga’s fault, is the low quality of the digital version. I’m not sure how the physical version compared, but in some parts reading the furigana was a struggle, and some kanji looked like random blobs of ink; and let’s not talk about the parts that used the author’s handwriting. This is pretty much the only reason I’m hesitant on picking up and reading the following volumes =._.=

Thanks to @Radish8 for running this book for the club, and to everyone that helped out with answering questions!

2 Likes

For those curious about the story of the manga but not curious enough to read it, Wikipedia has a summary of the anime episodes. For a summary of the summary: Hijinks ensue. Turns out Fujimiya has amnesia because when she was in elementary school, she was hit by a car while being bullied by a girl that she’d thought was her best friend. She gets better.

2 Likes