霧のむこうのふしぎな町 ・ Mysterious Town Beyond the Mist (BBC) 🌬 🏘

Yeah this is because you can change the font size in kindle and also kindles come in different sizes, so pages wouldn’t really be realiable. I’m on the same boat though, I bought the kindle so we’ll see, I’ll try my best to follow along :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Placed an order with my local Japanese bookshop for the book! Looking forward to reading it with you guys :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Finally I was able to order the book, before the start of the club. I’m looking forward to reading it with the all of you :blush:.

9 Likes

I crashed and burned on the last book club, but I’m going to dust myself off and try again. I just ordered the book from Amazon so hopefully I get it in time.

13 Likes

One week to goooooooooooo! :star_struck:

8 Likes

So, today @shuly unknowingly reminded me when we were talking about reading vs. listening to Japanese :wink:

In the Intermediate Book Club we have been running a weekly Read Aloud session for the last couple of books, and I like to think of it as being a success (although right now there are not too many people participating, sadly). We also tried such a session for Zenitendou, and it worked well for a few weeks, but then somehow fell apart, I guess… Anyway, why not try it for this book again, if a few people are interested?

First for some basic rules: If you want to join, you can of course decide whether you just want to listen in, whether you want to type in the chat (in English), whether you want to speak (in English) or whether you want to read a bit of text aloud (in Japanese ofc). You can read as much or as little as you want - one sentence is also ok. But maybe the others will stop you at some point when you read too much lol
We will not only read the text but also clarify questions or discuss the contents in general as we go. You can always chime in and ask something.

So, bottomline: everything can - nothing needs to.

Now for the polling:

1. Do you want to meet like once a week when we are reading The Mysterious Town and read aloud and/or listen along with people reading aloud on Discord together, given the date and time suits you?
  • Maybe…Not sure yet.
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1. If you are interested or maybe interested, what weekday would work for you? I am working from the assumption that weekends will be best for people and for dealing with timezones, but if it is not, I will repoll to account for that.
  • Saturday
  • Sunday
  • Some other day

0 voters

4 Likes

Just a warning, there’s some strong dialect at least at the beginning. So it could be a bit weird to read out loud.

2 Likes

Or maybe it is helpful to read out loud, to get a better understanding? :thinking: Anyway, I‘m up for trying to read it. (And like I said, nobody is forced to anything, as you are aware)

1 Like

I linked to this poll in the OP! Thank you for organising :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Oh, great idea, thanks!

1 Like

wheres the dialect from?

Based on some usage of べ at the end of sentences and words becoming voiced (e.g. きいたこと becoming きいだごど) I’d guess Touhoku dialect.

4 Likes

dialect

8 Likes

Why, it’s deja vu all over again. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Since I’m slow and struggle…I thought I’d try to start today and this is already killing me…I’d post questions here but I already made that mistake once :rofl:

3 Likes

Maybe you could use that time to learn some high frequency vocab from the book on Floflo? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Floflo is really not good when it comes to dialect…

4 Likes

Misparses galore.

3 Likes

Yes, but if you set Floflo to only showing words that appear, say, 20 times, you should be able to avoid the misparses, right? (I haven’t tried myself, though).

Well if it parses きいだ as きい and だ 20 times you’ll still see them in Floflo. :man_shrugging: