一週間フレンズ | Week 9 Discussion

Week 9 Discussion | Pages 131 - 149

Chapter 3: 友達の友達

Start Date: 5th October
Last Week: Chapter 3 Part 1
Next Week: Epilogue

一週間フレンズ Home Thread

We’re reading to the end of Chapter 3 this week!

Part of the Beginner Book Club!

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn and someone else will probably be grateful you asked!

• People usually find that they engage with and enjoy the discussion much more if they don’t read ahead, though of course it’s up to you :wink:

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

4 Likes

Finally got around to reading it, but there’s no comments here yet.

… Not that I have anything much to add. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Aaah, I read it on Saturday and forgot to comment!

But similarly, I don’t have anything particular to say about this week’s reading. I really like the manga, and will be picking up the anime at some point in the near future. And then probably continuing with the manga at some point.

3 Likes

I finished the manga yesterday. It’s really sweet, but (to be expected in the first book of a series I guess) it feels like nothing much happened! I want to know more about maths in Japanese! :joy:
If I am ever near a Book Off and can buy more volumes cheaply I’d like to see how it progresses, but not enough to pay for full prices and shipping.

Does anyone know if this author has created other manga? (Yes I am too lazy to look myself :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

No.

1 Like

On page…146? (or there abouts), the first panel has Fujimiya saying to the two girls from the classroom, 「私にだって友達いるんだから!」 I had the gist of what she’s saying here, but when I read it, I marked it as something I wanted to break down to ensure I understand in detail.

友達いるん is simple enough for me. 友達 + いる + explanatory の. “Have friends [explanation].” It’s the rest of it that I needed to review.

I’m familiar with から as expressing a reason or cause When it’s in the middle of a sentence, it’s easy. It’s when it’s at the end of the sentence where I sometimes struggle, as I’m getting the reason for something, but not the something.

It’s like if there’s a sentence, “I’m reading manga because I want to improve my Japanese,” but all you’re given is, “Because I want to improve my Japanese.” We get the reason why, but not the what. (This comes out odd in English because while we get the first half of the sentence in Japanese, translated into English it’d typically be located as the second half.)

Looking at the prior pages (going 12 pages back!), the girls were talking about Fujimiya, saying how 「気持ち悪い」 it was that Fujimiya was reading her notebook with a smile on her face (among other things). I take it this から is giving the reason for her acting the way the girls were talking about. “I was smiling as I read my notebook (among other things), because I have friends.”

Hopefully I’ll become more familiar and comfortable with sentences ending in から as I encounter it more.

And finally, 私にだって. When I hear だって, I think “because”. But there’s also the から at the end of this sentence which is like “because”.

According to “A Dictionary of Japanese Particles” by Sue A. Kawashima, page 15, だって “takes a special case and shows that it really is the same as other cases”. If that’s the usage here, then Fujimiya would essentially be saying “it’s because even I have friends,” meaning she has friends just like anyone else. (In “All About Particles” by Naoko Chino, だって is mentioned in passing as a casual alternative to でも.)

だって in this usage is another I hope I will by attention to as it comes up, so that I’ll recognize and understand it, rather than passing over it because I get the overall gist of a sentence.

I’m taking the to be an indirect object marker. Does that sound right or wrong to anyone? Since I’m not writing a bit on why I’m right, you can tell I’m iffy on it.

「 私にだって友達いるんだから!」

“It’s because even I have friends!”

2 Likes

My understanding of that line is basically the same as yours. Since japanese loves leaving things out of sentences to be filled in by context, it is not that uncommon to find sentences ending in から (Well, it is not that strange to start a sentence with “because” in English either, so there’s that).

Japanese has several ways to say “because”, and から is particularly interesting because it emphasizes the cause; other constructs tend to emphasize the consequence (for example, ので emphasizes the consequence).

I believe that’s the reason why a sentence using から can omit the consequence; because that’s not the important part. Since the consequence is omitted, we only have context to figure out what exactly is Fujimiya talking about, and I agree it is basically about the criticism that her classmates are making about her.

Regarding だって, I agree with your conclusion, though sadly I have no textbooks or links to back that up; just from experience of encountering it several times I agree that “even me” is what that means in this case.

2 Likes