結婚しても恋してる: Week 5 Discussion

Join the Absolute Beginner Book Club here!

結婚しても恋してる home thread

Week 5

Start date: September 14th
Previous Thread: Week 4
Next Thread: Week 6

Reading:

Week Pages Chapters
Week 5 12 ルンバ先輩爆弾 [1], いつもそばに [1], ギリギリアウト [1], 君に会いたい [1], 後輩指導 [1], この夏一番のホラー [2], 特別な日 [5] (End of Ch 3)

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :two_hearts:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading this book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

9 Likes

Hi guys!:3 The new thread is here, I can’t edit the main post, so sorry about that, I think it’s a bug that’s going to be fixed :eyes: And I’m gonna catch up soon too :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Should work again as of today

4 Likes

Oh, it’s fixed now! /o/ runs to edit the home thread

4 Likes

Checking in to say, done with this week’s reading :slight_smile: I’m really loving this manga.

6 Likes

Page 49

Phew, caught up! Right, time to get started on this week’s reading!

First panel …

彼女と別れ 傷心していた 先輩が…

彼女 - 1) she 2) girlfriend
と - if/and/with etc
別れ - parting, separation
傷心 - heartbreak
していた - was doing
先輩 - senior employee
が… - identifier particle

“So, my senior at work has been going through a tough time after splitting up with his girlfriend…”

The meaning is clear enough, but I have a few questions about the grammar!

1. what is that と doing? It obviously links 彼女 and 別れ, but how?
  2. why is there no particle after 別れ, or between 別れ and 傷心?
  3. why is it していた rather than している? Unless the heartbreak is now over?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

3 Likes

Well done on catching up, you must have been hard at it the last week!

So the whole thing is a classic Japanese sentence, a really long phrase which all modifies the word senpai.

I think the と is similar to what we would use in English - breaking up with his girlfriend.

I think there is no particle after 別れ because it is in stem form which can be used to connect the verb to the next clause.

I think the heartbreak is over (he now gets pleasure from being followed round the house by his ルンバ).

So the whole thing means Senpai (who broke up with his girlfriend and had his heart broken)…

3 Likes

I haven’t read page 51 yet but I think we are going to get the most risqué moment we have had since we saw しろくま in a grass skirt…

2 Likes

Thank you so much @Micki! Thank you for your explanations; and explaining that it is all one long phrase modifying “senpai” makes it much clearer, thank you so much!

Thank you, I certainly was!

2 Likes

Page 50

いつもそばに, always close by, is a funny chapter/page, but I’m having problems with the last panel…

彼女と別れても 寂しそうにみえない 雰囲気に 安心して 涙が出そうになった

彼女 - girlfriend
と - with
別れて - break up (in て-form)
も - even if
寂しそう - looks lonely
に - direction particle
みえない - the negative of 見える, to be seen, to seem, ie, to not be seen, to not seem?
雰囲気 - mood
に - direction particle
安心 - peace of mind
して - the て-form of する
涙が出そう - looks like crying
に - direction particle
なった - past of なる. Became.

Okay, so I’ve got the words, but I’m lost on the grammar, especially the two て-forms in this sentence. And I’m confused when it says “looks lonely に not looks”!

My best guess would be “Even though he had broken up with his girlfriend, in the atmosphere [he presented on Facebook] he did not look lonely. I seemed to shed a tear of relief.”

1 Like

I know it definitely got me to switch to a different digital manga to read while on the bus. (Likewise for page 51.)

A tiny bit off topic

Back in my early days of Japanese (when we had to fight off a triceratops to keep it from eating our flash cards), I learned that Japanese sentences always end in a verb. And because everything matches the properties of equality in math, I mistook this to mean a verb will only be at the end of a sentence. Since all the sentences we did in Japanese class only ever had a verb at the end, my delusion remained unhindered for some time.

I must say, when I learned about verbs being used to modify a noun, I suddenly felt like I knew nothing, absolutely nothing, about Japanese. It was a massive revelation, and to this day there’s still a tinge of excitement when I see a verb modifying a noun (which actually happens a whole lot!)

To get back on topic:

Spoiler?

This guy gives me no end of trouble, grabbing at cords and getting stuck under furniture. Just today he got into the bathroom and ran out of battery. But I could definitely understand せんぱい’s feelings as I read through this week’s material.

4 Likes

I think you have the gist of it. The first て form is the ても construction meaning “even if”. The same construction is in the title of the book actually!

I would say the second て form is continuative - “I was relieved and nearly cried”. Not sure of the best translation of the last bit - literally it’s something like “became like seeming to begin to cry” - so I guess it’s something like “nearly cried” or “my eyes welled up”.

2 Likes

Both of the に in this sentence are not particles but rather the adverbial form of ~そう, which is a な-adjective.

寂しそうにみえない = does not appear to be lonely

3 Likes

Phew, thank you @Micki! And thank you too @Belthazar!

Ans whilst you are online… can I take advantage of your good natures just a tad longer and ask about that first caption on page 51…? What is the meaning of the し in し…?

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

It’s 映す in stem-form, which is sometimes used as the continuative in place of the て-form. Which is to say, the sentence continues in the next narration box.

3 Likes

Thank you Belthazar! You, Kazzeon, Micki, and others must have explained that to me a dozen times over the past couple of years! One of these days I’ll actually remember it! Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Page 51

Still slogging through this page…!

明日から別の社員が研修にあたるそうです

明日から - from tomorrow
別の社員が - another employee
研修に - training + に
あたる - to be selected
そう - looks like
です - polite ending

“It looks like a different member of staff will be called on to do the training from tomorrow”

Is that right? Can you just take the dictionary form and slap そう on the end to make it “look like v”?

Sorry to be a pain!

2 Likes

This is the other ~そう ending, which means “I heard that…” or “people say that…” So, for example, おいしそう = it looks delicious (i.e. conjecture), while おいしいそう = I heard that it’s delicious (i.e. hearsay).

And yeah, the difference is subtle.

3 Likes

Wow, that really is a new one on me. And subtle it is! Thank you so much again Belthazar!

1 Like

I didn’t know this, thanks for this Belthazar!

So with a verb we use:

stem form + そう = seems like it’s about to “verb”

dictionary form + そう = they say that “verb”

Here’s a nice link on this with some examples.

4 Likes