Chapter 0: 友達のハジマリ

Start Date: 17th August
Last Week: Chapter 0 Part 1
Next Week: Chapter 0 Part 3

一週間フレンズ Home Thread

Last dialogue bubble(s) of page 27 for eBook readers:
将五が笑ったから頑張れる気がする!
なんだそれ
(Again, the break comes just before switching out from 4-koma format)

Part of the Beginner Book Club!

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn and someone else will probably be grateful you asked!

• People usually find that they engage with and enjoy the discussion much more if they don’t read ahead, though of course it’s up to you :wink:

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

6 Likes

As promised, this week’s thread is going up early “because weddings”. Sorry about that, and don’t panic! The discussion should still start from Saturday.

Even if you’ve read ahead, please try to refrain from posting here until the time comes, so as not to make people feel they’re missing out or anything.

5 Likes

Can someone please help me out with the following part?

Page 14

なんでずっとそれやり通さなかった

I am not sure what this means exactly. In particular the I am not sure what this means exactly. In particular the やり is puzzling… does それやり mean something like “do insistently”?

I am also not sure about 通さなかった … is this referring how previously he was trying to interact with 藤宮さん?

やり通す is a separate word.

2 Likes

やりとおす【遣り通す】
(動サ五)
物事を途中でやめずに最後までする。しとおす。

Dunno what they’re talking about tho because I’m not looking at the book~

1 Like

Thank you @seanblue and @QuackingShoe

sigh, my parsing skills are still very lacking =._.=

She’s kinda like… all つんでれ without any actual つん.

3 Likes

Isn’t that just デレデレ?

When in doubt, ask jisho?

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll check there first next time… I asked ichi.moe and it sent me in a weird direction…

Nah, she’s still つんでれ, in the sense that you’re all seanblue while not being the slightest bit blue. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It’s actually a good way to parse it though. V+toos(u) is a productive suffix meaning “to V until the end”. So here “to do to the end, to do completely” , similar to -kir(u).

2 Likes

More pages to read this week :scream_cat: but the non 4-koma format is a lot easier to go through, so I already read 6 pages today :muscle:t3: with only 1-2 pages per day for the rest of the week, I should be able to stick with the schedule. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think she’s a bit more like a クーデレ.

In any case, done with this week’s!

2 Likes

So, first question (ebook reader 12%, position 20, on the rooftop)in a book club ever, I hope I’m doing this right :scream::durtle_tomato::

それってどういう意味 Does this mean What do you mean by that? / What does that mean? or something like that? I always get confused in manga who says what.

And on the next page: でも あのときの俺はまだ藤宮さんのことを何一つわかっていなかった Would it be correct to translate it as But I didn’t understand yet why Fujimiya-san was alone. (But the me from that time didn’t yet understand…) What does the ~のことを mean here exactly? Would the sentence work without it (with は for example)?

3 Likes

I haven’t read this week’s yet, but I’m trying my hand at a response anyways =)

Your first translation looks accurate to me.

Peeking at the page, I see the word balloons don’t have tails pointing to the speakers, so I can see the difficulty. It looks like the best guess here is that since both characters have one nearby, the balloon belongs to who it’s next to. (But this won’t be consistent from one artist to another, so…)

This looks to me like But at that time, I didn’t know a single thing about Fujimiya-san. The 一つ would refer to one thing rather than alone.

I think the 「Fujimiyaのこと」 has a meaning along the of “thing (about) Fujimiya”, but I may be wrong. Hopefully someone can provide an explanation or a link to one. Otherwise, I can check into that after I read this week’s material.

6 Likes

Yes

藤宮さんのこと here would basically be “about fujimiya”
一つ is not a substitute for 一人, rather,
何一つわかっていなかった “i didn’t understand a single thing”
何一つ is sort of like saying 何も.
藤宮さんのことを何一つわかっていなかった

I didn’t know/understand a single thing/the first thing about Fujimiya

(人)のこと is a pretty typical way to distance what you’re saying from the person a little bit. You’ll also usually hear 君のことが好き over 君が好き

9 Likes

Thank you both @ChristopherFritz and @QuackingShoe!

Oh right! Of course it’s not. ^^; I don’t know how I could confuse that.

Thank you, that made it perfectly clear. I haven’t seen 何一つ before (or at least I don’t remember).

1 Like

page 19
駅前にクレープ屋さんできたんだっておいしそうだね
I’m not sure about the bolded part. Is it た-form of できる (to be made; to be built​) + んだ to convey an explanatory tone + って? I guess the って confuses me again :sob:
So does it mean something like As for the crepe shop in front of the station that was built, doesn’t it look tasty?

page 20, title
こう見える
I don’t get what こう means…

I haven’t read this week’s part yet, but probably this word(so “like this”, kind of): Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary