チーズスイートホーム: Week 6 Discussion (Chapters 16-18)

Join the Absolute Beginner Book Club here!

チーズスイートホーム home thread

Chapters 16-18

Start date: July 27th
Previous Chapter: Chapters 13-15
Next Chapter: Chapters 19-20

Vocabulary list

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :cat:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading this book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

8 Likes

That plush cat is downright creepy…

4 Likes

It really is. But even more so is that I’m not sure if that other one is meant to be Blossom or not.

The one in between them made me think “charmander”. :slightly_smiling_face:

Omg I think you’re right?

This is so cursed though :joy:

4 Likes

Well bookwalker had an updated file for me to download today and it seems to be a higher quality. The smaller characters are much easier to read now!

Just read chapter 16 and filled in the vocab sheet as I was going along. Couple of quick questions please:

Page 124
オトーサンまたチーをやなところへつれてきれしょ

I get the meaning of the sentence (Dad’s looking to take Chi back to that place again)
Does anyone understand the やな part please?

Page 127
何がいいのか悩んじゃってさー

何がいい - what is good

のか - seems to be a particle that indicates the speaker is questioning his previous statement

悩んじゃって

• compound of 悩んで (te form of the verb 悩む “to worry”)
  • then I think the second part is like ちゃう (to do completely, to do accidentally) but changed to じゃう because the preceding て-form ended in で not て
  • じゃう turned into じゃって (and an implied いました)
  • whole thing translating as “I was completely worried”

さ - sentence ending particle

So I think the whole thing means “I was really worrying about which things were good”

4 Likes

It’s a spoken variant on いやな

6 Likes

This is the indefinite-pronoun の (i.e. it’s standing in for another noun, like えさ) plus the embedded-question か. Literally " ‘Which ones are good?’ I was worrying".

Yes. Just as ~ちゃう is the contraction of ~てしまう, ~じゃう comes from ~でしまう

5 Likes

I’ve just read the chapters. Pretty fun too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve just finished too. Enjoyed these ones! And I have a new favourite Japanese word - ぬいぐるみ!

Just one more week to go!

4 Likes

Nice chapters indeed, and I feel like it is becoming slighlty easier as we advance. I am even starting to fully enjoy the story. Nice trick with these ぬいぐるみ!
Thanks again to everyone for helping each week!

2 Likes

Thank you so much Micki. I’ve not started yet (just realised I’ve not yet quite finished last week’s either) but I’ll be there soon, and I know I’ll be using your work a lot. Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Page 131 - title: 猫、見つける - the cat discovers…

• Question: this looks incomplete to me, don’t you need to discover “something”? How about, “the cat explores”?

Page 139 - title: 猫、見つけられる - the cat is discovered

• Question: So the potential form and the passive form are exactly the same! Is it only context that gives a hint as to which this is, or is there some other way of telling them apart?

Page 141 - mum grabs cat and says みつかるー [“you’ll be discovered”?]

• Question: according to Jisho, 見つかる means “to be found, to be discovered”. What is the difference between 見つかる and 見つけられる?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

2 Likes

Page 145

So the dad buys a stuffed toy and says it can be a good friend for Chi.

Then ヨウヘイ says: あれは かじっちゃ だめだ からね

This is what I’ve got:
あれ - that
は - topic marker
かじっちゃ - 齧る, to bite/gnaw. with しまう ending, meaning either “unfortunately” or “completely”
だめ - no good
だ - copula
から - because
ね - sentence ending particle

“That is no good because [Chi the vandal kitten] will completely chew it up”

That’s my best guess, but if anyone can put it right I’d be very grateful! Thank you!

2 Likes

I actually read that page slightly differently.
Dad is saying that Youhei and Chi are good friends
But if you look at Chi, he’s chewing up a bag with a very grumpy expression (ie doesn’t look like he is best buddies with Youhei right now) - so that’s slightly amusing in itself
Then Youhei is pointing up at the new toy, and explaining "It’s (on the window sill) because it would be だめ if Chi chewed it up.
And of course Mum is about to lose her cool at them because she nearly had a heart attack earlier when she saw a cat in the window (before she realised it was a toy cat).

6 Likes

Thank you @Kyasurin! Nice one!

I didn’t think this was てしまう. I thought it was short for かじっては.

A good question, probably best not overthought! Isn’t the first one an intransitive verb (taking no object) and the second one a transitive verb (taking an object) in its passive form?

I think it’s difficult to see the difference in English with “to discover” because we don’t have an English intransitive equivalent of “discover” that I can think of. But if you took another verb like “to break”:

I break the cup (transitive, active)
The cup is broken (transitive, passive)
The cup breaks (intransitive)

So I guess with the text:
みつかる just implies that the cat has been discovered
見つけられる implies that “something” has discovered the cat

I thought this was just a style thing. It’s the title of a chapter and the sentence is shortened. I think it works quite nicely in English too - one chapter is called “Cat discovers” and the next chapter “Cat is discovered”.

6 Likes

Official translations aren’t always perfect, but thanks to the ambiguous context here, I decided to take a look at the English version. There, Youhei is saying “Chi, now don’t go chewing that guy up, 'kay.” Another meaning for だめ is “Cannot/must not/not allowed.” So it seems more like he’s telling Chi “As for that thing (creepy cat plush), you must not chew it up.”

4 Likes

Wow, thank you both so much @Micki and @Viridithon! Yes, transitive, intransitive, passive, active, it’s not something you want to face before breakfast! But thank you so much for making it much clearer Micki! Ans thank you Viridithon for checking the English version! Much appreciated!

2 Likes

Oh, that makes sense. I’d thought he was talking to his parents, but I guess speaking to the cat works better.

1 Like