[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

Make that 27/12, as I have just finished the 11th volume of DanMachi.

Not much to talk about this time beyond the usual. Basically no fan service, which was appreciated. The plot was not bad, with ヘスティア and friends on one side trying to send the ゼノス (monsters with human level of intellect) back to the dungeon, while basically everyone else are trying to kill them (the monsters for being monsters and ヘスティア and co. for being traitors to humanity). There was a romance comedy scene right in the middle when アイズ is tracking ベル’s movements (she can’t attack as he hasn’t done anything yet but everyone and their dog know that he will do something stupid heroic). ベル, thanks to his “six sense” telling him when he is being observed is painfully aware of her presence, but still has to meet with co-conspirators… who are all beautiful women because that’s almost exclusively the only type of character who hangs out with ヘスティアファミリア. For some reason, they all end up saying things that can be taken the wrong way. Well, except アイシャ, since she was just sexually harassing him as usual. So it’s technically not a misunderstanding. Anyway, hilarity is supposed to ensue? Not sure. The author just shrugged it off and went back to the action.
The action was pretty intense. It was nice to have a confrontation at the tactical level, where it’s fine to lose a fight (and boy did they lose, the ロキファミリア has a bunch of level 6s, while they had one level 5 and two level 4s (the level 5 not doing any direct fighting so that their ファミリア can remain officially out of the conflict). The main character is level 3, so he isn’t even registering on the chart… he still ends up being the MVP because, well, plot.
I just thought of a couple of things that have been annoying me as well, but I’ll keep that for when @afunian @Ditto20 and others (@Belerith I guess?) get there. Come on team!
Well, I guess I did end up to talk a lot anyway :sweat_smile: Despite mostly focusing on the negative part, that was probably my favorite book in the series overall (so far).
Now moving on to the next volume all the bookclubs I have neglected this week.

10 Likes