Absolute Beginners Book Club // Now Reading: Granny Girl Hinata chan!

Personally prefer physical books also but physical graded readers are pretty expensive compared to regular books. Figured people may prefer to spend their funds on real books.

1 Like

If we’re feeling cheap and don’t mind going all-digital, this free website has quite literally hundreds of fairy tales - both Japanese ones and foreign ones - each with an audio version:

I’m about 95% I saw this when I was at Kinokuniya trying to buy our current book, so I’d say it exists.

2 Likes

I think next week we’ll have a Multi-poll to decide on the type of book and grade!

Awesome juggestions so far!

1 Like

This one sounds interesting. I like it.

Nice one, thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for creating this thread!

I’m going to nominate a book I just started reading that I bought in Japan. It’s pretty doable for my level of reading, it’s just a tiny bit more complicated than なぜ?どうして? but it’s a lot more fun to read.

EDIT: Should probably add I’m probably just around N4 level (took N4 last December and I’m pretty confident I failed). If that gives any idea on difficulty.

WANTED - Short stories from the creator of One Piece

Summary

Author’s note:
"This is a 「masterpiece collection」. No matter what any of you say, this is a 「masterpiece collection」.

You could say these 「masterpieces」 are some of the few sucessful sucessors of the will of the countless one-shots out there that have been left to rot. To simply call them “short stories” would be such a shame.

Oh … but wait, on the cover, the sub-title says “Collection of short stories by Oda Eiichiro”…!!

Ah, whatever. "

Availability

I can’t seem to find an eBook version but I might have missed it.

Personal Opinion

It’s fun, the Japanese is readable, it’s not aimed at super young kids, and the level isn’t too complicated. Also, as it’s a manga, context from the illustrations can assist reader.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Not ‘dry’
  • Not aimed at young children
  • Context from illustrations can assist in understanding
  • Short stories means that people could jump in at any time and just jump in to the current story
  • Furigana

Cons

• It’s shounen, so if you don’t like shounen you may not like it

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Romance_Dawn%2C_Version_2 Ikki_Yako_Infobox

image%20(1)

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

6 Likes

Googling around, I found a bunch of lists of “books every 3年生 should read”.
If you want more recommendations, I could go through those in more details and check if something looks appropriate for your club.

Planning to join in for this one!

Don’t have any reccomendations so far, but if that changes I’ll be sure to let you know!

あたしンち

Summary

Outrageous misadventures of an almost normal family with a housewife, her husband, and their two kids Yuusuke and Mikan. Wacky humor about this weird family’s daily life.

Availability

An ebook is aviable on amazon.co.jp I don’t know where else to get japanese ebooks.

Personal Opinion

I did watch the anime and trasnlated it for crunchyroll germany. First I was skeptical, but the Anime ended up beeing quite funny. I bought the first volume of the manga and it’s a fun and easy to read manga. The manga is around 130 pages long and consist of 34 short storys about daily family life.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• lot’s of furigana
  • daily life conevrsations
  • actually quite funny

Cons

• might be a bit childish for some

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

5 Likes

While probably to easy for the beginner Book CLub I think atashinchi could be just right for the super beginners club.

I would like to join this although I do not have a book recommendation. Will it notify me when the book is chosen or will I have to keep checking back here?

You probably need to check this thread from time to time. Just look at the untead posts and yoh will see if we post new things.

Also probably the title of the thread will be changed, which should make it easy to see at a glance.

1 Like

I would be totally cool to read graded readers with you all. One of those packs contai 5 or six books. I think one week per book would be nice. Would atleast fit my skills XD

2 Likes

I’m probably going to give up on the “beginner” book club and just join you folks. I don’t think I have a the same definition of beginner as most people on this board. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Well, when it was created it was Beginner in comparison with the existing Book Club :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: but that’s why this club exists!

Edit: @emucat, would it be worth adding the Cat Detective book as a previous pick as well? I know it’s kind of retconning history, but it might make it easier for people to find in future if they’re looking to read it at a later date.

2 Likes

Pretty much what @Radish8 said.
Also, the “beginner” in the title was (originally at least) about not having experience reading native media, not about the actual level of the reader.
That being said, those two things being correlated, I think it naturally shifted toward the more immediate meaning of beginner, but still, N4 is considered beginner… so, true, that would be the higher end of the spectrum, but I still think it’s not a misnomer :slight_smile:

It’s also good to have this group, to make the transition toward reading native content even smoother :+1:

7 Likes

Excellent idea!

1 Like

What Cat Detective book?

1 Like

This guy!

It’s the book marcusp ran a group for before the なぜ?どうして? book.

1 Like