Absolute Beginners Book Club // Now Reading: Granny Girl Hinata chan!

I know, right? It was already really funny in the manga, but hearing the voices takes it to a whole other level. And it’s so well done too!

And man, since making the nomination post, I’m getting more and more excited about reading Ruri Dragon. If it doesn’t win, I’ll probably just start reading it on my own immediately after the poll closes. :smile:

Nice, grats! Simple or not, that’s always a great feeling.

8 Likes

If you plan on reading it either way it’s currently like $10 on manga republic (at least for the US and this includes the shipping!) Ruri Dragon The voice over of the totally unbothered teacher really sold me on it :joy:

7 Likes

I’m a bit far from the US, but thanks!

3 Likes

Oh sorry! They ship world wide but the price varies by location. Thanks for introducing me to such a cute manga!

3 Likes

I hope everyone is looking forward to the selection poll tomorrow!

15 Likes

It’s Time To Vote For The Next Book!

If you are interested in reading along with the Absolute Beginner Book Club, then please feel free to vote in this poll!

The list of options is below. The titles are hyperlinked to their respective nomination posts, which contains more information about the book as well as some sample pages.

The difficulty rating is based on feedback from folks looking at those sample pages, and so is very approximate! A score of 3 is considered to be “just right” for the club, with higher scores being a touch more difficult, and lower scores being easier, but since it is approximate, keep in mind that the scores may not be exact!

You have up to 3 votes, which can be changed up until the poll closes. I will keep the poll open until January 7th, one week from now.

The intended start date for the next book is February 18th, 2023.

Book Title Description Difficulty Rating
福娘童話集 Lucky Princess Fairy Tale Collection 3.2
こぐまのクーク物語 春と夏 Kuuku the Bear Cub’s Story, Spring and Summer 2.9
日本の昔ばなし Japanese Folk Tales Collection Vol 1 (Issun-boshi and other stories) 2.4
もしかしたら名探偵 Detective Milky Sugiyama 2.4
10分で読めるこわい話1年生 10 minute reader - Scary stories (1st grade reader) 3.0

Manga

Manga Title Description Difficulty Rating
あたしンち My Family 3.1
Wanted Short stories from the creator of One Piece 3.5
こばと Kobato 3.5
あしょんでよッ ~うちの犬ログ Let’s Plaaay - Our Dog, Log 2.6
可愛いだけじゃない式守さん Miss Shikimori is not just cute 2.9
藤本タツキ短編集 17-21 Fujimoto Tatsuki Short Story Collection 17-21 2.3
ふだつきのキョーコちゃん Fudatsuki no Kyoko-chan 2.4
ちいさな森のオオカミちゃん Ookami-chan of the Small Forest 1.8
ホリミヤ Horimiya 2.8
スラムダンク SLAM DUNK ??? (Poll not public - Majority “I don’t know”)
ルリドラゴン Ruri Dragon 2.4
ギャルと恐竜 Gal & Dino 2.5
Book Poll 9
  • Lucky Princess Fairy Tale Collection (3.2)
  • Kuuku the Bear Cub’s Story, Spring and Summer (2.9)
  • Japanese Folk Tales Collection Vol 1 (Issun-boshi and other stories) (2.4)
  • Detective Milky Sugiyama (2.4)
  • 10 Minute Reader - Scary Stories (1st Grade Reader) (3.0)
  • My Family (3.1)
  • Wanted (3.5)
  • Kobato (3.5)
  • Let’s Plaaay - Our Dog, Log (2.6)
  • Miss Shikimori is Not Just Cute (2.9)
  • Fujimoto Tatsuki Short Story Collection 17-21 (2.3)
  • Fudatsuki no Kyoko-chan (2.4)
  • Ookami-chan of the Small Forest (1.8)
  • Horimiya (2.8)
  • SLAM DUNK (???)
  • Ruri Dragon (2.4)
  • Gal & Dino (2.5)

0 voters

13 Likes

Just a reminder, that today will be the day the poll closes! I’ll close it before I head out for the night!

9 Likes

Whew, Ruri Dragon doing well. More votes than any two other books added together, aside from the specific pair of 2nd and 3rd place.

7 Likes

Definitely! I’m loving how lively this poll has been!

4 Likes

I’m more surprised by our little wolf working her way up through the poll. In the beginning almost nobody voted for Ookami-chan, and at least right now it’s on second place after a hard fight! :wolf:

6 Likes

There are lots of things I’d like to read in the nominations at the moment, so it was quite tough to choose which 3 to vote for!

I’ll be really happy if it ends up being Ruri next, and then Ookami-chan since they are only 1-2 volumes long and I’m pretty overloaded with book clubs at the moment, but I just can’t stop myself from joining more :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

You’ll probably also be able to fit Ookami-chan in pretty easily due to the lower difficulty, if Natively’s L14 is to be believed.

Which also makes it a really great pick for first-time readers, I think! We’re kinda missing an Absolute Beginners Is Still Too Hard For Me Book Club.

11 Likes

And with that, the polls have finished!

Our two victors are:

Ruri Dragon, to be followed by Ookami-chan of the Small Forest!

Thanks, everyone, for your participation!

@TobiasW, would you be able to run the Ruri Dragon book club when it is set to begin?

And @ChristopherFritz, are you good to run the Ookami-chan club afterwards?

17 Likes

I’d be delighted!

14 Likes

I have to remember not to nominate things due to the requirement of work.

Of course!

15 Likes

Thanks, you two!

6 Likes

I just ordered both manga :see_no_evil: :sweat_smile:
I don’t like commitment so I’m not gonna say I’ll join in and/or stay… but more likely than not I will at least try ^^’

16 Likes

Also bought Ruri. Already wanted to take part in the last book club but missed it. Now I finally want to see what I really can read :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

Nice! Ordering them both is already a lot of commitment though :grin:

Welcome, then! Time to put all that learning to the test, eh?

7 Likes

Yes, definitely! Will be interessting to see and I am looking forward to.

6 Likes