[Web app] Wanikani accuracy and review pacing

:warning: This is a third-party script/app and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.

A simple webtool that:

1. Measures your accuracy, split by SRS level. It uses your actual reviews from the past two months, for up to date, representative values of your current accuracy.
  2. Computes an estimate of your review pacing, that is, how many review do you need to do per day in order to keep up with a given lesson rate.

How to use:

1. Go to Wanikani Statistics
  2. Enter your API key version 2 in the field. You can find it on your profile page. Alternatively, put your key directly in the URL (convenient for bookmarking!): https://castux.github.io/wanikani-stats/?key=your_key_here
  3. Fill the “Lessons per day” field to how many lessons you normally do per day.

The tool will automatically compute:

1. How many reviews you will need to do every day, split by SRS level, with apprentice and full totals.
  2. The average number of non burned items there will be in each SRS level, also with totals.
  3. The average time to burn an item.

You can also use it in reverse: pick a number of reviews per day that you find confortable, and play with the “Lessons per day” value until you find it.

Disclaimer: this is a simple mathematical model. It makes some assumptions that are more or less valid in real life, but it can still be useful to give a general idea:

• It assumes you have already started burning items, that is: items are flowing through the entire system. Before that, reality will be lower than these numbers.
  • It assumes you do reviews immediately when available, and don’t let them accumulate. But even if you do reviews once a day, or every two days, the difference wouldn’t be very noticeable.

I hope it is useful. I’ve built it for myself, to see how badly my horrible accuracy affects my learning experience. In any case, please don’t take it too seriously. The real secret of learning is regular practice and dedication :slight_smile: Enjoy!

Note: this is a follow up to this topic, which contains some incomplete explanations of the mathematics used.

33 Likes

Hey @Tenoch, I guess you haven’t been on the forum in a long time, so I don’t know if you’ll see this, but could it be possible to set up a range for the days you are looking at?
I want to check my old accuracies before I burned everything, but excluding some of the early levels, for instance. :sweat_smile:

I still get notifications :blush: I can have a look and check how easy a change it would be. My free time is quite limited these days (completely gave up on kanji study, sadly…)

2 Likes

Thanks @naphthalene for digging up this post.
Interesting statistics, especially the success rates of the passage to the next SRS stage.
For me it is roughly the same pattern:
A1 to A2 is relatively weak,
best ist A2 to A3,
then continuous decline
and a raise for the burning (but not as much as for @Tenoch)

1 Like