Another Wanikani Recall App [Chrome App] [For Writing]

:warning: This is a third-party script/app and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.

Hey All,

I did RTK and found that writing the Kanji really helped me remember them. Now that I’m doing wanikani, I’m really trying to get a firmer grip on recognizing vocabulary. I wrote a chrome app to help with that: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wanikani-recall/jnkjliilpjjkhbhhlacpabdnbnacmdbo?hl=en-US

It’s open source and changes are welcome. I used KanjiVG to demonstrate the stroke order of the Kanjis, too.

I should also mention that less than 24 hours ago, Serijo also released a recall app, which you should also check out: /t/Vocab-recall-app/3365/1

Anyway, if feedback is positive I am interested in turning this into a mobile app.

Cheers,
Gordon

I like it :slight_smile:

Some feedback:
- make it possible to practice writing only kanji and not vocab
- add a “back” button

Satoshi said... I like it :)

Some feedback:
- add a "back" button

Thanks man, and thanks for the feedback! I completely agree with you on both of these and will be implementing them this week. My plan is to add a "Radicals," "Kanji" and "Vocabulary" checkbox to the level selection menu, so you can do a combination of any of these items.

Very nice, well done! :slight_smile:

Awesome! I haven’t really used Chrome apps before, do they get updated automatically?

Let me know when you add a kanji only version

Satoshi said... I like it :)

Some feedback:
- add a "back" button

I added both of these. I made it so you can choose to study Radicals, Kanji, Vocabulary or any combination of the three.

real1adam said... Awesome! I haven't really used Chrome apps before, do they get updated automatically?
Not sure. Mine updated automatically from version 0.1 to 0.2. But, I had to update manually from 0.2 to 0.3. I just removed the app and added it again through the app store. I think it depends on your settings. Either way, you can see what version you are using from Tools -> Extensions. The latest verison is 0.3

Apraxas said... Let me know when you add a kanji only version
Done. 

I should note that some radicals might be missing. This is because there is not a unicode character associated with each radical in the API. As a result, I don’t know which SVG file to animate. If they resolve this in the API (maybe the unicodes don’t exist), then these radicals should start working.

I’m thinking about adding an audio button, but the API doesn’t seem to provide the endpoints for that. I’m wondering if it would be okay to package them into the app.

This is pretty nice. Thanks Gordon! :slight_smile:

This is very cool. Thanks for developing it out!!

Another suggestion: let us pick what we’re going to learn before the app makes the request to the server. I’m never going to learn vocab with this but I still have to wait a long time until it gets all the vocab from the server. Sometimes I even get a “Response from server timed out” error.

Satoshi said... Another suggestion: let us pick what we're going to learn before the app makes the request to the server. I'm never going to learn vocab with this but I still have to wait a long time until it gets all the vocab from the server. Sometimes I even get a "Response from server timed out" error.
 Hey Satoshi,

That's a good idea! In the meantime, I'll extend the timeout from the server. I set it to 30 seconds, but it probably takes so long since you have a large amount of vocabulary items. I'll work towards implementing it.
Munksey said... Hey Satoshi,

That's a good idea! In the meantime, I'll extend the timeout from the server. I set it to 30 seconds, but it probably takes so long since you have a large amount of vocabulary items. I'll work towards implementing it.
Thanks!

I thought I would add that I made some changes to the app. I’ve included audio (only for vocabulary), as well as a save progress method if you click the “logout” button. This will allow you to continue the next time you sign in. Also, I made the download functionality asynchronous, so it will download the radicals, vocabulary and kanji simultaneously. If I have time, I will make it so you can select what to download before logging in.

I’m going to take a crack at making a writing App for android. I’ve seen some apps that actually exist in Japan and they’ve given me some ideas for how to implement it. But, any suggestions are welcome.

Munksey, I love this app, thanks so much for creating it! It really helps make me recall things better :slight_smile:

You need to break the API requests for Vocab into batches of 10 levels. Requesting all of the vocab for a high level user at once will usually fail due to a server side timeout.

i would love an android app  ;-)

I can probably make a user script to do this if necessary (although not sure exactly how to do that with a chrome app), but it would be nice if the drawing area and display areas were bit bit larger vertically, and maybe stretch when you resize the window. I am struggling sometimes to get the characters to fit into the existing area.

Really I just want to change the layout so that the header, buttons, etc. take up less vertical space, leaving more room for the drawing/viewing areas.

Absolutely perfect. 
I woud love an Android app for this, because I really prefer writing on a piece of paper rather than with the mouse. 

Keep the beautiful work! 

Munksey said... I should note that some radicals might be missing. This is because there is not a unicode character associated with each radical in the API. As a result, I don't know which SVG file to animate. If they resolve this in the API (maybe the unicodes don't exist), then these radicals should start working.

Many of the WaniKani "radicals" are completey made up things that are just more or less common part of kanji so for these no unicode exists at all.