魔女の宅急便 (Kiki’s Delivery Service) Discussion Thread: Chapter 5

I am slowly catching up with this chapter!

According to my Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar (p443), it’s acceptable to use たい with a third person subject in explanatory situations. e.g. 野村さんはあなたと話したいんですよ。(Because Nomura-san wants to talk with you).

My translation is pretty similar to yours.

Jiji has just said they should stop the boy or he’ll hurt himself.
Kiki replies:

He wants to fly, so let’s let him fly. If he hurts himself, he’ll get my point. Don’t you think it’s terrible, taking someone else’s things without so much as a word!?

1 Like

Hey, bit late to the party. I only found this thread recently. I’m probably going to read this again, but I couldn’t figure out how Kiki’s broom got broken. I figure it was the cleaning boy, but I’m still confused as to how it got broken.

1 Like

So while Kiki was at the beach, a boy snatched her broom because he wanted to see if he could actually fly with it too. Little did he know that without the innate ability to fly with a broom (i.g., magic), it wasn’t possible. He goes up a hill and jumps only to fall and break Kiki’s broom in his fall.

Welcome to the book club! There are several of us who can still help with any more questions you might have.

Hi, for the fans of Kiki : you can practice your listening with flashcards of the movie on https://mainingu.com ! Enjoy

1 Like

Repeat Club Discussion (Week 8) Starts Here!

Chapter 5 Part 1

V1: Pages 99 - 110
V2: Pages 88 - 98
BookWalker: ?

Last line:
女の人はそういいながら、首をのばしてあたりを見まわすと、いきなり高い叫び声をあげました。

15 August 2020

Please briefly check whether questions have already been answered above before posting them, but otherwise don’t hesitate.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book
  • I’m a superhero who’s read it before but is here for chatting :books:

0 voters

5 Likes

No Kyasurin summary this chapter :pensive:

4 Likes

Yeah, sorry about that :joy:

Me on 20 Feb 2018:

But I think as the number of readers dwindled, so did my enthusiasm for writing chapter summaries.

6 Likes

Here’s the artwork for this week’s reading. Beware, spoilers.

I’ve marked them with the line they go with.

おソノさんはそういいながら、自分もスカートをひっぱって、足をにゅっと出してみせました。

キキは、横目でにぎやかなほうを見ました。

5 Likes

I’m wondering about
キキ、あなたもこの町にきてからずーっと、気持の休まるときがなかったでしょ。すこしずつ仕事もふえてきたし、ひさしぶりにのんびりしてらっしゃいな。ただ砂の上でねそべってるだけでもいいものよ。

Are we supposed to assume that Kiki is getting a lot of jobs now and there were a lot of deliveries between chapters?

1 Like

Sorry all, fell behind last week and didn’t have time to post anything. Luckily, got caught up this weekend and started on Chapter 5 just now.

Can someone help me out on the second page this week (Pg 94 for me、V1), almost in the middle of the page: "どのくらいたったかしら、目をさましてあわてて帰ってきたの。
Closest I can get to is: About how long I wonder, wakeup and rushed to return home.

2 Likes

I have read all your summaries you did make so far before starting a new chapter. Your efforts are very much appreciated.

3 Likes

Yes

(p.100 in my book.) You are just about there! I am not sure which of the following two readings is more accurate.

I woke up and rushed home, wondering how much time had passed.

Or maybe,

I woke up, had a moment of panic wondering how much time had passed, and came home.

Awwww thank you! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

You don’t have to apologise! It was just sad to see it go.

1 Like

Ourgh. Been a rough few days. Group projects don’t become any less of a mess in Grad School, kids. Even if I let everything else fall by the wayside, though, I’ll at least get my two pages read tonight.

From pages 1-2 of chapter 5 (Red Book):

• ふうふうしちゃう - Is she just commenting on the wind here? Like, saying that it’s fuu-fuuing?

• 胸のボタンを一つはずして風を入れると - Is this saying she undid a button on her chest to let the wind in?

• キキにそっくりだって - Just making sure, but it’s saying here that Kokiri was just like Kiki, with the って indicating that it was said?

Nice to see things picking up for Kiki, but I know better than to get too comfortable. I’ve seen the vocabulary that I had to study for this chapter.

1 Like

I’m curious to see input on the ふうふうしぢゃう remark (near the end of p. 88 in the blue book). I took her comment to be like “I’m panting [it’s so hot in the summer relentless rays]”.

I think you are correct about your second point 胸のボタンを一つはずして風を入れると(later in the same sentence as his first point).

About 4 sentences later (middle of p. 89 of the Ver 2 Blue book)

草は いい におい がする、すずしい 風がふいてくる。 What is up with those し’s? I think it’s some grammar thing that I don’t know.

After working on Kiki’s all weekend, I’m only finished reading the second page for the weeks half-chapter!

After pre-looking at the vocabulary, sometimes I am VERY SURPRISED by how it gets used! The ふうふう was one of those times. Another was both 狙(ねら) and 投げつける in the middle of the first page of Chap. 5 (p.88). Scenic poetry again… Like the carrots and pea soup in an earlier chapter.

でも、今、この町のお日さまので光は、ねらって投げつけるまりのように、せわしなくぶつかってきます。

PS. Playing tennis with a Japanese friend, he told me to use ボール for ball, in general, instead of まり=ball (used in the sentence above). He said that’s only referring to a ball used in an old sport that nobody plays anymore. Kemari? Thought that I would pass that along. Nb. A small fail for me in Showing off new Japanese vocab まり not equal to tennis ball.

It’s a list of reasons, it’s N4 in Bunpro:

Effectively the し translates as “and” in this case.

And I agree with your interpretation of the first point.

1 Like

I have a grammar or vocabulary question-- I’m not sure which!
Page 95, V2
砂で玉をつくって投げっこする人

What is 投げっこ? Is it a conjugation of 投げる or a word I can’t find in a dictionary?

Alright. Doing better now that we’re back into the week, weirdly enough. People seemed to really like that 3d Jiji I printed, so I’m looking at printing a model of Porco Rosso next. That… Is going to be tougher to paint. Not sure I’ll do quite such a good job as Jiji, where I just needed to hit the ears, nose, and eyes.

Anyway, pages 3-4 of chapter 5. Finally, we’re getting to the beach episode:

• 暑いから行くんじゃないの。- It’s funny, when I quickly read this, it seemed to make perfect sense. But then when I slowed down to reread, it seems like she’s saying You don’t go because it’s hot. But maybe it’s more like "Because it’s hot you go, right?

• ただ砂の上でねそべってるだけでもいいものよ。- Is she saying that even just laying on the sand is good?

• ちょっと待ってね。今、水着もってきてあげるから。洋服の下に着ていて、むこうでぬぐとかんたんよ。- I don’t have a question about this one, I just wanted to note that, when I read this little segment, it was effortless. I read right through understanding it completely without stopping to puzzle out any of the words or parse the grammar. It just all made perfect sense, and I feel really good about that.

Also:

• 目に留まるのはまぶしい光と、くっきりと黒い建物の影だけです。- Sounds like a Hiroshi Nagai painting.

I’d love to own one of these someday, but originals are, uh… Not cheap. Maybe someday.

5 Likes

Theないis not on the 行く、it’s after the ん、so this one is a pretty clear comment tacked onto the end of the sentence, which we do in English, too.:

You go because it’s hot, don’t you?

I love how the “green” light is precisely the same color as the sky: 青い。I wonder if it’s a case of language influencing perception?

1 Like