Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

古見さんは、コミュ症です。

Natively: Level 24

Cover_Art_Komi-san_wa,_Komyushou_desu_Vol_1

Summary

On her first day attending the elite Itan Private High School, Shoko Komi immediately receives an overwhelming surge in popularity due to the unprecedented stoic beauty and refined elegance her classmates perceive her to possess. However, only Hitohito Tadano, an exceedingly average schoolboy who sits next to her, discovers that behind her bishōjo appearance, Komi has a severe communication disorder. Tadano learns that Komi’s goal is to make 100 friends, and resolves to help her reach her goal.

Availability

Phsyical: AmazonCDJapan
Digital: KoboBookwalker

Personal Opinion

Watching (and enjoying) the Netflix adaptation has made me interested in reading this. I think it’d be a good fit for this book club. The difficulty level matches other manga that we have read and I think that humorous slice of life manga has a broad appeal. If you’re unsure whether you might enjoy reading this, check out an episode on Netflix :slight_smile:

Pros and Cons

Pros

• Furigana
  • Lighthearted, humourous, lovable characters
  • Slice of life, so (hopefully) easy and useful vocabulary
  • Netflix adaptation available
  • 26 more volumes to read (and counting!) for those who really like it

Cons

• Some people might prefer putting their Japanese to use for consuming media that is otherwise unavailable to them
  • Some people might prefer reading a finished series

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• 1 - No effort at all
  • 2 - Minimal effort
  • 3 - Moderate effort
  • 4 - Substantial effort
  • 5 - So much effort my head might explode :exploding_head:
  • I don’t know

0 voters

9 Likes