Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

Ah, that’s true. I’m happy with keeping it and removing the “if you’re not serious” part - I basically object to it encouraging people to click on the poll when they’re not actually interested in voting.

Although I suppose you could get rid of it and just say that if people vote accidentally then guess they have a moral duty to go through and rate all the nominations :joy:

4 Likes

Yeah he said it was from back in the day when the pollsters would go in everywhere and just clickety-click :wink: But that seems to be less of an issue now.

We’ve updated the options in the Intermediate book club template - maybe you want to carry them over to the Beginner book club if you’re happy with them?

2 Likes

I well remember :wink: but at this stage I’d rather not facilitate the behaviour.

Yep, will do! I’m very happy to see you went with the exploding head wording - I was a definite fan of that :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Same here! :exploding_head:

4 Likes

Make a decoy. A separate poll with just the “I don’t know” option. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Vote for the next book now!

Please look under “Current Proposals” in the first post for more details on each of the options, including links to sample pages which will help you gauge the difficulty.

Difficulty Scores

Each option has been assigned a difficulty score, noted in the poll, based on club members voting, where 1 indicates “no effort at all” and 5 indicates “so much effort my brain might explode”. These scores aren’t perfect or objective, so please look at the sample pages of options you’re interested in, if you have time.

We will likely begin reading on the 25th of April, one week after we finish reading 霧のむこうのふしぎな町. If a short manga (expected less than 8 weeks) wins we will also read the second place option afterwards without holding another vote.

The poll will be closing this evening (UK time).

You can vote for up to 4 options. Nominations are for manga except where otherwise noted.

• Nordic Girl Åsa [2.65]
  • Ao’s Island and a Cat [2.95]
  • Laid-Back Camp [2.92]
  • Love Me For Who I Am [2.38]
  • Fruits Basket (Collector’s Ed.) [2.90]
  • Skip Beat! [2.81]
  • Neighbourhood Story [3.00]
  • This Art Club has a Problem! [2.65]
  • Haikyuu!! [2.70]
  • Great Detective Conan [3.33]
  • The Story of Kuuku the Bear Cub // Book [2.17]
  • Scary Lessons // Book [3.15]

0 voters

You can adjust your vote at any time by clicking ‘Hide Results’.

11 Likes

Gooo, Laid-Back Camp!

5 Likes

Discourse seems to have stopped notifying me of any replies to threads I am watching, or even threads I created myself :thinking:

That’s weird. For what it’s worth, I’m still getting them. :thinking:

Well that’s reassuring, at least. Hopefully just having a funny five minutes then.

:eyes:

6 Likes

Surely it’s not actually going to win…

2 Likes

The vote is a lot closer than I expected across the board.

Yeah, thus far I do feel like they’re far less stratified than in previous polls (recent ones, at least). I think I always find myself surprised by which things people end up voting for though.

Edit: it makes it quite hard to decide when to close the poll, actually, if they’re all super close. It might feel pretty stagnant, but when just one new vote can completely change the rankings…

Two of my picks are near the bottom. @.@ Channeling my spirit into future votes…

3 Likes

You can always run a tie-breaker vote afterwards between the two (or three, or four :eyes:) leading entries, if they are that close.

2 Likes

Clearly you should close it when the one you want is winning. :wink:

12 Likes

What you means that’s not how it works?

4 Likes

Sometimes I wait too long in order to look like I’m not cheating though, and the results get all messed up :pensive:

6 Likes

You could always set it on a timer. :man_shrugging: