Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 葬送のフリーレン // Next: ウスズミの果て

名探偵コナン

Summary

Shinichi Kudou, a great mystery expert at only seventeen, is already well known for having solved several challenging cases. One day, when Shinichi sees two suspicious men and decides to follow them, he inadvertently becomes witness to a disturbing illegal activity. When the men catch Shinichi, they dose him with an experimental drug formulated by their criminal organization and abandon him to die. However, to his own astonishment, Shinichi is still alive and soon wakes up, but now, he has the body of a seven-year-old, perfectly preserving his original intelligence. He hides his real identity from everyone, including his childhood friend Ran Mouri and her father, private detective Kogorou Mouri, and takes on the alias of Conan Edogawa (inspired by the mystery writers Arthur Conan Doyle and Ranpo Edogawa).
(from MyAnimeList)

Availability

Physical book
ebook (pictures here - look inside feature)

Personal opinion

I’ve read this book already. The difficulty is about the same as Aria.
I think it was written for kids, so it’s a bit naive at times, but it didn’t felt like it was dumbed down. Enjoyed it a lot. Will be reading further (our Japanese library has 55 volumes).

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Detective story: lots of reasoning and explanation
  • While they investigate the case they repeat the circumstances and look at them from different points of view (might be good for retention)
  • Good pictures, clear text (no hand-written lines), full furigana

Cons

• It’s a bit naive
  • People may have already read it / seen an anime adaptaion since it’s a very popular series

Pictures: ebook page → なか見!検索

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

4 Likes