Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

変愛サイケデリック

Summary

Japanese

「ストレンジサイケデリコ」こと彩家亭理子は、その名の通り千光高校きっての有名な変人であり、変わった愛情を持った者が集まる「変恋部」の部長である。そんな変人マスターが「愛しいね」と目をつけたのは、春になると死にたがると噂のクール系男子・神宇知悠仁だった。理子は悠仁の言動が「変愛」に関係しているとにらみ、興味を持つのだが…。『月光』と同じ世界を舞台に新たな登場人物が紡ぎ出す異色の青春“変愛”物語

English

(Disclaimer: this is my own translation, mostly done while very tired. There could be mistakes. Also not completely literal)

The “strange psychedelic” Saiketei Riko is, as her name suggests, known as a famous eccentric at her high school and head of the “strange love club”, a club for people with unusual love. What has caught her attention is the rumoured cool boy Kamiuchi Juujin who starts wanting to die as spring comes. Riko guesses that Juujin’s actions are related to strange love and takes an interest in him, but…

Availability

Amazon
Bookwalker
Booklive

Personal Opinion

To be honest, my main reason for nominating this is just that it’s something I personally thought looked interesting. But if I think it looks interesting, maybe some other people will too, and (at least to me, though I don’t know how well I can judge) it didn’t seem too hard from the first few pages.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Seems to be about more everyday stuff, which probably would limit the range of vocab used somewhat
  • Could be interesting

Cons

• Hard to find physical copies
  • Kind of long at 288 pages
  • Judging by the preview the main character seems to like using occasional more uncommon words

Pictures

(All pictures come from the preview on booklive)

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know

0 voters

2 Likes