Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Which TBF is one of the reasons I am reading it because it is building my knowledge of brewing and fermentation.

1 Like

Not my area of interest. :sweat_smile:

I’m likely to skip whatever wins no matter what since I’m still reading 獣の奏者 and plan to start 空ろの箱と零のマリア on my own sometime next month.

Was interested in starting this for forever too. My only fear is that, I read some of it in English a long time ago, and even then I felt like I need to read A LOT in a short time to be able to enjoy it. But, it was a long time ago.

Some more pages of もやしもん if you would like some more to judge

1 Like

I am a bit worried that it will be hard to keep track of everything if I read too slowly. I intend to read it “fast” (for me), but it may not be nearly fast enough to remember everything that’s going on. I read the first several pages from a sample and it doesn’t seem too hard, so if it keeps my interest maybe I’ll be able to read it faster than usual.

3 Likes

My script to automatically calculate difficulties is broken right now and I don’t have time to fix it, so only partial difficulty data. In any case, you should check for yourself before voting.

Poll for the next book is here!

Please see the List of Proposed Books section in the first post for the details for each book. Every book has a difficulty associated with it (based on book club members voting, thus subjective) out of 5, where 1 means “no effort at all” and 5 means “impossible, even with everyone’s help”. (Or some other thing, depending on what is the current difficulty polling fashion).

Do not rely solely on difficulty when making a choice. Please have a look at nomination posts if you haven’t already.

We will start the next book on May 8th or May 15th. (1 or 2 weeks of break, respectively)

I will close the poll within a week (and most likely before that), whenever it looks like voting has dried up. You can choose up to 5 options .

• Your Name [3.10/ 20 votes]
  • Night Market [2.73/ 15 votes]
  • ブギーポップは笑わない [3.10/ 10 votes]
  • ポーション頼みで生き延びます! [3.50/ 8 votes]
  • All You Need Is Kill [3.38/ 8 votes]
  • Smoothly Memorise with Manga and Repetition: The Hyakunin Isshu [3.25/ 8 votes]
  • 空挺ドラゴンズ [2.60/ 5 votes]
  • ifの悲劇 [2.57/ 7 votes]
  • 1リットルの涙 難病と闘い続ける少女亜也の日記 [2.57/ 7 votes]
  • 最先端の日本酒ペアリング ー SAKE PAIRING [2.50/ 4 votes]
  • 聖☆おにいさん – Saint Young Men
  • 博士の愛した数式 - The Professor’s Beloved Equation
  • もやしもん - Tales of Agriculture
  • 乳と卵 - Breasts and Eggs

0 voters

6 Likes

Hahaha Your Name is currently in the second place… Who would have expected THAT :joy_cat:

(and four books are in third place - looks like an interesting poll so far)

7 Likes

Wow, only 17 voters so far? That’s a record low :anguished:
Hopefully the weekend will help… although I guess a lot of people are home anyway these days.

9 Likes

Gaaaah, the voting has definitely stopped, but we know have a tie at the top.

I’m going to let the poll run a full week (so until tomorrow), and then let’s hope the tie will be broken.

3 Likes

It’s not tied now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe we should just read the top two picks? If only to get over the „Your Name“ drama :joy_cat:

2 Likes

Well, that’s it. After a full week, we finally reached a reasonable amount of votes, so I’m going to close the poll now.

As usual, we get a razor-thin margin between the first and second place, second place that is again Your Name.

I’m not planning to have a run off poll between those two, and I do not think that would be a good idea to just read both or one then the other, based on the recent history of the club.

So, that leaves us with:

• I’d love to be in charge of that book!
  • No thanks

0 voters

• 1 week break after the current book
  • 2 weeks break

0 voters

2 Likes

To clarify, does the first poll mean to ask who is in charge of Night Market or Your Name?

Night Market.

Poor Your Name. :joy:

I agree that reading two at the same time or committing to them back to back would be a bad idea.

I’ll be skipping Night Market, as I’m focused on 獣の奏者 and committed to reading a book on my own in the near future.

3 Likes

I’ll be skipping Night Market because I don’t already have it, and can’t easily get it in the current circumstances…

3 Likes

That’s a good point… I don’t know if I can easily get it either… :scream:

Hm, we could delay the next book further? But it’s hard to predict when things will get back to normal. :thinking:

1 Like

I guess everyone who’s been advocating for ebooks will have the last laugh.

11 Likes

Good for those who can stand them.

BookOff also ships books so you could have it delivered during the lockdown.

2 Likes