Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Ya know, I was leaning towards putting this one in Beginners, but I don’t wanna make more competition for Yuru Camp, so I’ll put it here as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

空挺ドラゴンズ

Airborne Dragons
Though, “Drifting Dragons” appears to be an official translation, perhaps. Honestly not too sure on that point.

Summary

Japanese

龍を追って、世界の空を往く捕龍船『クィン・ザザ号』。大物を捕まえれば一獲千金、獲りたての肉も食べ放題。でも、失敗したらもちろんお陀仏。空と龍に魅せられた乗組員たちの大冒険の旅&世界グルメ紀行!

English

Meet the crew of the Quin Zaza, a flying ship which hunts flying dragons. And then butchers them for meat and other products, and sells them. Like, that’s literally the blurb on the back of the book’s obi - “Hunt, butcher, sell, and then… eat!!” But more to the point, it’s full of swashes, and buckles, and all manner of derring-do.

Availability

Amazon
Bookwalker

Personal Opinion

It looks kinda pretty and kinda fun. Honestly, it first caught my eye because the style of shading and the aircraft technology was quite reminiscent of the Nausicaä manga.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Pretty. Not excessively wordy. No furigana.
  • It’s getting an anime adaptation starting early next year, so clearly it’s popular.

Cons

• Well, if I’m to be completely honest… it’s got some fairly strong hints of whale hunting in the imagery, which is not an awesome theme, though at least in this case the dragons propose a legitimate threat to both the ship and to innocent towns on the ground.

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

3 Likes