Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

氷菓

Summary

Japanese

いつのまにか密室になった教室。毎週必ず借り出される本。あるはずの文集をないと言い張る少年。そして『氷菓』という題名の文集に秘められた三十三年前の真実―。何事にも積極的には関わろうとしない“省エネ”少年・折木奉太郎は、なりゆきで入部した古典部の仲間に依頼され、日常に潜む不思議な謎を次々と解き明かしていくことに。さわやかで、ちょっぴりほろ苦い青春ミステリ登場!

English

(Translation from fandom page)
A classroom that unexpectedly becomes a locked room. A book that is borrowed every week without fail. A boy who insists that there shouldn’t be an anthology. And an anthology entitled " Hyouka " that hides the truth from thirty years into the past. Houtarou Oreki, an “energy-saving” boy who is seemingly unmoved by anything, due to a series of events, slowly brings interesting mysteries hidden from the ordinary into light with the help of his friends from the Classics Club.

Availability

Amazon
Ebookjapan
Bookwalker

Personal Opinion

This book was mentioned before in the forums, and after checking out the (very short) first chapter I thought it seemed interesting. I think reading a mistery novel would be an good option for the bookclub. It’s a genre that we haven’t explored yet and it could be fun sharing theories with the others as the reading advances.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Not too long at 224 pages
  • Different genre than previous selections
  • Names appear to have furigana

Cons

• Another story concerning a high school club
  • Some people might find the concept boring
  • If the people reading are too smart with their theories they may accidentally ruin the book for you

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

(Chapter one doesn’t even have 3 pages)

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

4 Likes