WK Reviews: The Final Countdown (userscript)

This is a third-party script and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.

Do your reviews sessions just take way too long?  Do you want an extra push to go quicker? 

Maybe you want to really test your recall—you think, “If I don’t know this right away, then I don’t know it at all.

Well, now there’s a script for that.

Following up on a request from this thread, I present a simple countdown timer for review questions.  It does pretty much what you’d think it does: adds a time limit (default 10 seconds) to review questions.  Take too long, you get it wrong.  Simple as that.

Update: Customize your countdown experience.  Change the countdown time to make things just a little easier (or way harder, if you’re looking for a greater challenge), or leave the timer off some items completely.  The choice is yours.

Download: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/16442-wanikani-review-countdown-timer

Changelog:
[2017-10-18] Fixed options menu being hidden under the answer area at some resolutions, as well as it not lining up correctly when the hotkeys button hides.
[2016-11-19] Added settings menu.  Time limit can now be changed.  Items can be ignored.  Wrong answer messages have been changed too, getting rid of the silly grammatical mistake in the old one (分かる is intransitive.  It doesn’t take a direct object with を.  >.<).

10 Likes

You also only have 4 minutes and 55 seconds to do your reviews, yes? Because that is the length of the live version of The Final Countdown.

If your time runs out, the rest of your reviews get nuked with red. The song itself starts playing on the last minute you have. It’s only fair!

5 Likes

Thank you so much!!!  :) , this will help me complete my 1521 reviews quickly!!!

4 Likes

This is pretty awesome, somehow missed when you first posted it :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing!

Sweet idea, Gangster! :smiley:

Awesome script btw :slight_smile:

1 Like

Daaaaamn!

@OSad
Not gonna lie: I did think about doing that after reading your post but, I mean, the difficulty curve would just make no sense, since reviews don’t come up in consistent numbers.

@chazychaz
Happy to help.  Good luck with your reviews!

@sirvorn
Thanks, no prob, and enjoy.

@AnimeCanuck
Why, thank you!  I try.  (Totally wasn’t just answering a request…  Nope.)

@xspikex52 
That gif, though…  And thanks.

@Aikibujin
Indeed.  Thanks.

1 Like

Is there a way to pause the countdown or are you locked in until the review is finished?

3 Likes

Each question (meaning or reading) has a separate countdown, which stops when an answer is submitted.  If you need to take a moment to do something else, just don’t move on to the next one.

1 Like

Hmmm. I’m definitely going to try it, just not sure when…

LOL, had a go = 59%

I don’t know if my % will increase with practice, or I’ll just be level 10 forevers. ;_;

Aikibujin said... LOL, had a go = 59%

I don't know if my % will increase with practice, or I'll just be level 10 forevers. ;_;
 ![](upload://r200ImU7z1kT5797W7R9xgwQHxL.gif)

Oh wow, this is terrifying. Do I dare?  ´д` ;

I don't know if my % will increase with practice, or I'll just be level 10 forevers. ;_;
Damn.  Well, no one ever said it would be easy...  You've got this, though, I'm sure.  Of course, if you want just a little more time for now, you could change the "timeLimitSeconds" variable at the top of the script.  Just throwin' that out there.

Natashiya said... Oh wow, this is terrifying. Do I dare?  ´д` ;
 Terrifying you say?  Hmm...  I'd say "go for it", but what do I know?
Emisan said...

![](upload://r200ImU7z1kT5797W7R9xgwQHxL.gif)
Wait... Am I...
Or are you...
Bah whateva!

Natashiya said... Oh wow, this is terrifying. Do I dare?  ´д` ;
 Terrifying you say?  Hmm...  I'd say "go for it", but what do I know?
 Haha, terrifying in a good way! I'll definitely try it when I get home. ^ - ^

Hmm next lot, roughly equal to the previous (about 50 items) and I’m up to 70%. Still low for me, but obviously jumping up with practice. :slight_smile:

I’ll try this. I’m sure it’ll reduce the time spent reviewing a lot even if it increases the actual number of reviews, and the items I do get correct I will know that much better.

Could it be modified to allow the exclusion of radicals and kanji though? I’m using the override script, so I can just do that manually.

Yo, I definitely want to try this! o:

Also… Is your icon Robert Fripp wearing a flower crown… Bless.