[Userscript] Wanikani Review SRS/Level Indicator

:warning: This is a third-party script/app and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.

Do you ever wonder what the SRS level is of the item that you’re reviewing?

I’m not gonna lie: if I get the last kanji before levelling up wrong, I
will ignore that. Seems ridiculous to me to wait another couple of days
for a tiny mistake. And that’s the beauty of the SRS: it always comes
back, so no harm. Apart from that, I just think it’s an interesting piece of information to have.

I call it (informally): THE SRS RING INDICATOR.

Ever wanted to become a Lord of the rings? Well, now YOU can!
Have no idea what I’m talking about? Ok, maybe I should explain that the SRS levels are indicated with rings. They’re also colour coded according to WK’s style!

All items on Apprentice level will show pink rings.
All items on Guru level will show purple rings.
All items on …

If you’re close to levelling the item to a new level, you’ll see an extra ring in the colour of the next level.

Ok, I hope you get it. See the screen shots below to see what I’m talking about.

[SRS Level 3. If the user gets it right, he will have to wait 3 days until the next review]

[SRS level 6. If the user gets it right, he will level the item up to master.]

Features
 - See the current SRS level of the item you’re reviewing.
 - See how many levels you have left before levelling up an item.
 - See the level on which you learned the item (for extra self-shaming if need be). Hover over the indicator button for this.
 - Dynamically adjusts the width of all buttons. Other user scripts don’t mess up the layout anymore!

How to install
- Make sure you have the Greasemonkey (Firefox) or Tampermonkey (other browsers) add-on installed, so you can enjoy userscripts.
- Go to https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/15582-wanikani-review-srs-indicator
- Click the green button
- BOOM, DONE!

Change log:

v1.4.2 & v1.4.3
 - added support for WK Wrap-up Button Enhancement
 - fixed bug introduced by that support
 - removed debug console output (that was f*cking annoying. Why didn’t I do this earlier?)

v1.4 (wth happened to the other versions? IDK, don’t ask)
 - Displays the item level (level on which you learned the item) when hovering over the indicator button

v1.2.1
 - Dynamically adjusts width of buttons according to the number of buttons on the row.

v1.1.2
 - Bug fix for Chrome. Should update the level indicator when the item changes. Also fixed mouse over event.

v1.1.1
 - Added support for Wanikani Double Check script (/t/UserScript-WaniKani-Double-Check/8396/1)

v1.0
 - initial release

Note: this has been developed in Firefox and tested in Firefox/Chromium. Let me know if other browsers have difficulties.

15 Likes

Oh nice, thanks! I’ll give that one a try! :smiley:

Neat idea!

Something is not right for me though, I only see this indicator for all my items regardelss of the SRS level:

tomboy said... Neat idea!

Something is not right for me though, I only see this indicator for all my items regardelss of the SRS level:

Are you sure you're not just having a lot of items that'll level up to master?

What other scripts are you using that affect the review page? The double check script is covered, The ignore button script doesn't cause issues and neither does Wanikani Improve or the 'simple' reorder script.
Mempo said...

What other scripts are you using that affect the review page? The double check script is covered, The ignore button script doesn't cause issues and neither does Wanikani Improve or the 'simple' reorder script.
I'm sure, because half of them was leveling up to enlightened, and the other half is still apprentice, at least that's what the popup said.
Other scripts I'm using:

(you can find me on slack, i'd be glad to help debugging)
tomboy said...
Mempo said...

I'm sure, because half of them was leveling up to enlightened, and the other half is still apprentice, at least that's what the popup said.
Other scripts I'm using:

(you can find me on slack, i’d be glad to help debugging)

Aah, Tampermonkey. We meet again, my new nemesis! I’ll start debugging in an hour.

Mempo said...
tomboy said...
Mempo said...

Other scripts I'm using:

(you can find me on slack, i’d be glad to help debugging)

Aah, Tampermonkey. We meet again, my new nemesis! I’ll start debugging in an hour.

ah, okay, I didn’t read carefully enough that this was developed for Firefox… :slight_smile:

tomboy said...
Mempo said...
tomboy said...
Mempo said...

Other scripts I'm using:

(you can find me on slack, i'd be glad to help debugging)
 Aah, Tampermonkey. We meet again, my new nemesis! I'll start debugging in an hour.
 ah, okay, I didn't read carefully enough that this was developed for Firefox... :)
 I'm just guessing here. I know another one of my scripts had problems on Tampermonkey, but this one should work fine though. I guess it's because of the reorder scripts. I'll get back to you on it.

@tomboy: I reproduced the bug. It only displays the level of the first item you get, but doesn’t update when other items appear. That’s very peculiar I think, because the code that handles the updates was ripped from hoovard’s KunOn+ script, and that seems to work just fine in Chrome.

Gotta go now. A fix is at best a day away :cry:

Thanks Mempo! Really nice userscript! During lightning mode (userscript) I never knew what I was levelling up to. Now I know!

Just a little heads up: the additional-content width is a fixed percentage so without the Wanikani Improve script it looks a bit weird (I was using lightning mode instead of wk improve). I modified it myself, but I guess it could be an option. Oh yeah, I also changed <span> into <span title=“SRS Status”>. Makes the mouse-over look better. Sorry, I get caught up in details, haha.

For those who want to use this together with Wanikani Improve: make sure you install the improve script first.

Mempo said... @tomboy: I reproduced the bug. It only displays the level of the first item you get, but doesn't update when other items appear. That's very peculiar I think, because the code that handles the updates was ripped from hoovard's KunOn+ script, and that seems to work just fine in Chrome.

Gotta go now. A fix is at best a day away :'(
 Instead of the mutation observer, you could do this:
     $.jStorage.listenKeyChange('currentItem', YourFunctionHere);

Your function might get called twice if another script (like Reorder) modifies currentItem, but I don't think that would be a problem in your case.

Thanks! This looks really nice. Tried it on a very small review with Google Chrome, and it seemed to work as intended.

The icing on the cake would be if the circle got filled when answered correctly, or (shudder) circles emptying if answered incorrectly. I’m not even sure if such a thing can be done however, just thinking out loud.

But this is really cool as is! I’m always curious about if a kanji is on the forst or second level of guru for example. Thanks again!

vargsvans said... Thanks! This looks really nice. Tried it on a very small review with Google Chrome, and it seemed to work as intended.

The icing on the cake would be if the circle got filled when answered correctly, or (shudder) circles emptying if answered incorrectly. I'm not even sure if such a thing can be done however, just thinking out loud.

But this is really cool as is! I'm always curious about if a kanji is on the forst or second level of guru for example. Thanks again!
 That would indeed be awesome! I hadn't thought of any animations because I use Wanikani Improve, which will immediately go to the next item if I answer correctly. But if  there are still people who like to ENTER after every answer, animations would be cool ;p
MrRobot said... Thanks Mempo! Really nice userscript! During lightning mode (userscript) I never knew what I was levelling up to. Now I know!

Just a little heads up: the additional-content width is a fixed percentage so without the Wanikani Improve script it looks a bit weird (I was using lightning mode instead of wk improve). I modified it myself, but I guess it could be an option. Oh yeah, I also changed <span> into <span title="SRS Status">. Makes the mouse-over look better. Sorry, I get caught up in details, haha.

For those who want to use this together with Wanikani Improve: make sure you install the improve script first.
 Haha, if only I could check which scripts a user has installed! All would go automatically! Thanks for suggesting the mouse-over fix. I hadn't really looked into how that worked because I rarely use my mouse when doing reviews.
rfindley said...
Mempo said... @tomboy: I reproduced the bug. It only displays the level of the first item you get, but doesn't update when other items appear. That's very peculiar I think, because the code that handles the updates was ripped from hoovard's KunOn+ script, and that seems to work just fine in Chrome.

Gotta go now. A fix is at best a day away :'(
 Instead of the mutation observer, you could do this:
     $.jStorage.listenKeyChange('currentItem', YourFunctionHere);

Your function might get called twice if another script (like Reorder) modifies currentItem, but I don't think that would be a problem in your case.
 That's genius! Thanks. It doesn't change anything, but maybe Chrome just can't handle two of the same listeners ;p

Thnanks for the Chrome specific fix, @Mempo, works like a charm!

I noticed something else, that popup points to a weird place now:

tomboy said... Thnanks for the Chrome specific fix, @Mempo, works like a charm!

I'm hating that pop up box at the moment. Too much time has passed already and it refuses to bend to my will. Maybe I'll finish that tomorrow.
Mempo said...

I'm hating that pop up box at the moment. Too much time has passed already and it refuses to bend to my will. Maybe I'll finish that tomorrow.
 Should be fixed now.
Mempo said...
Mempo said...

Should be fixed now.
 I was having the same issue and it moved over now so yay! 
I like it :D
Mempo said...
Mempo said...

Should be fixed now.
 Yep, the popup is in the right place now (though there's an issues with the shadow, but that seems to be caused by the reorder ultimate).