April 25th Daily Reading ブラックジャックによろしく: Community Reading Exercise

I did “A” on Duolingo forum (called “J” there), if you want to compare.

So I have been reattributed “A”… here it is:
(oh, I notice I had forgotten 第一外科)

Vocabulary:
(new only)

• 外科【ゲ・カ】: 1. surgery, 2. department of surgery (in a hospital); note the unusual reading of 外
  • 主に (おもに) : mainly
  • 胃【イ】: stomach (it is an homophone of 医者の医)
  • 腸 : intestines. The word has a native Japanese reading of はらわた; but in this medical context I think it more likely will be using the sino-japanese reading チョウ. Notes: the radical on the left, while looking identical to 月 (moon) in modern kanji is actually 肉 (flesh), so the kanji is related to body parts. Note also the right component 昜; it’s the same as in 湯, hot water; and 陽 (the yang of yin/yang; used in the word 太陽 (タイ・ヨウ), the Sun))
  • 肝臓【カン・ゾウ】: liver (note here too, the left radical is 肉 (flesh))
  • 担当【タン・トウ】: being in charge, being responsible of (made into a verb with する)
  • 科【カ】: 1. department, section. 2. course (of study); branch of study; specialization​.

Interpretation:

僕が今いるの
That is the topic; “I am now”, nominalized with の.
第一外科
and that is (with verb omitted) what it is equated to: first external (surgery) section (外科 = department of surgery)

科だ
That is what the topic is reexplained to; so as the topic is about the narrator/character being at some place, the meaning of 科 is here some department (of the university/hospital).
Which 科 ? 手術を担当する : (the one) being responsible of surgery.
And what kind of 手術 ? 食道・胃・腸や肝臓の : of the oesophagus, stomach, intestines and liver. や means “and”, like と; the difference being that with と the enumerated items are all spoken, while や implies there may be other ones not said but that exist also in the same grouping.

So, all together:

僕が今いるのは第一外科
主に食道・胃・腸や肝臓の手術を担当する科だ
=> “I am now at the first external department; that department is mainly responsible of esophagus/stomach/intestines and liver surgery.

Note: that is the kind of surgery skills, he learns now, that he would have needed (but hadn’t) when the patient in the verge of dying arrived at the Seidou hospital where he was doing part time night job (on episode 1); and that he refused to operate himself (getting the recriminations of the hospital director, but actually sparing the life of the patient)

2 Likes