April 25th Daily Reading ブラックジャックによろしく: Community Reading Exercise

How can I participate?
①Choose one of the letters from the list below. Claim your letter by posting a reply in the thread here. That is so two people don’t end up doing the same letter.
②Edit your ‘claim reply’ with a vocabulary section where you list the vocabulary words and explain what they mean.
③In a reply to your ‘claim reply’, develop your interpretation. This will help people understand and learn from your explanation.

✩If you spot a mistake, explain to the user what it is and why it is incorrect.
✩If possible, correct your mistake based on the new information.

The story so far Saito finished med school and is now an intern; he will help with a surgery today at the Eternal Fortune University Hospital. He is an idealist who wants to be a doctor to help people as opposed to become rich. He once took a part time job which paid well but was in conflict with Saitou’s values and beliefs.

Currently available: H;

Taken: A, B, C, D, E, F, G;

Links
April
24th
23rd
22nd
21st
20th
19th
18th
17th
16th
15th
14th
13th
12th
11th
10th
9th
8th
7th
6th
5th

The Manga Available Online for Free
Episode 2
Episode 1
Jisho: dictionary

1 Like

I’ll claim A.
①《僕が今いるのは第一外科》
② 主『に』食道・胃・お腹や肝臓の手術を担当する科だ

I did “A” on Duolingo forum (called “J” there), if you want to compare.

So I have been reattributed “A”… here it is:
(oh, I notice I had forgotten 第一外科)

Vocabulary:
(new only)

• 外科【ゲ・カ】: 1. surgery, 2. department of surgery (in a hospital); note the unusual reading of 外
  • 主に (おもに) : mainly
  • 胃【イ】: stomach (it is an homophone of 医者の医)
  • 腸 : intestines. The word has a native Japanese reading of はらわた; but in this medical context I think it more likely will be using the sino-japanese reading チョウ. Notes: the radical on the left, while looking identical to 月 (moon) in modern kanji is actually 肉 (flesh), so the kanji is related to body parts. Note also the right component 昜; it’s the same as in 湯, hot water; and 陽 (the yang of yin/yang; used in the word 太陽 (タイ・ヨウ), the Sun))
  • 肝臓【カン・ゾウ】: liver (note here too, the left radical is 肉 (flesh))
  • 担当【タン・トウ】: being in charge, being responsible of (made into a verb with する)
  • 科【カ】: 1. department, section. 2. course (of study); branch of study; specialization​.

Interpretation:

僕が今いるの
That is the topic; “I am now”, nominalized with の.
第一外科
and that is (with verb omitted) what it is equated to: first external (surgery) section (外科 = department of surgery)

科だ
That is what the topic is reexplained to; so as the topic is about the narrator/character being at some place, the meaning of 科 is here some department (of the university/hospital).
Which 科 ? 手術を担当する : (the one) being responsible of surgery.
And what kind of 手術 ? 食道・胃・腸や肝臓の : of the oesophagus, stomach, intestines and liver. や means “and”, like と; the difference being that with と the enumerated items are all spoken, while や implies there may be other ones not said but that exist also in the same grouping.

So, all together:

僕が今いるのは第一外科
主に食道・胃・腸や肝臓の手術を担当する科だ
=> “I am now at the first external department; that department is mainly responsible of esophagus/stomach/intestines and liver surgery.

Note: that is the kind of surgery skills, he learns now, that he would have needed (but hadn’t) when the patient in the verge of dying arrived at the Seidou hospital where he was doing part time night job (on episode 1); and that he refused to operate himself (getting the recriminations of the hospital director, but actually sparing the life of the patient)

2 Likes

Could you copy/paste your answer for the community here? I knew I had seen that before but couldn’t remember where, thank you.

I’ll claim B then.

Transcription
①《大学病院『での』研修医の研修方式『は』大きく分けて2つある》

Vocabulary
I am familiar with most vocabulary here. I recognise the words although I can’t remember the readings.
研修【けんしゅう】:heavy_plus_sign:方式【ほうしき】= training method;
大きく【おおきく】:heavy_plus_sign:分けて【わけて】I already knew 大きく but 分けて (adv. above all) was new to me.

②《ひとつ目は最初『から』ひとつの科『に』所属しそこ『で』集中して学ぶストレート方式》

Interpretation ①
《大学病院『での』研修医の研修方式『は』大きく分けて2つある》
When I want to interpret a sentence, I always begin with what I know already. In this case, I pinpoint what the sentence is about with the 『は』. Everything before that particle is what the sentence is about, the topic of the sentence. It’s my starting point so to speak and everything stems from there in my mind.

What comes directly prior is 研修医研修方式. 研修医 (medical intern) is linked through possessive の to 研修方式(method). So a medical intern training method, the sentence will be about that.

If we step back further at the very beginning of the sentence, we have 大学病院 (university hospital) who is before 『での』. A search of での as one entity comes up empty. We can therefore logically deduce that it’s a composition of two entities で (place of action) and の(another possessive). When we group everything we’ve got so far we get: the medical intern’s work method at the university hospital. So far so good, it makes sense it context which gives me confidence I’m on the right track. Let’s see what is after 『は』.

大きく分けて2つある
2 things exists as indicated by 2つ(counter word) what kind of things? Both 大きく and 分けて dénote something of importance. So 2 important things above all.

To sum up: At the university hospital, two 2 things are very important as part of the medical interns work method. That’s my interpretation.

1 Like

It’s not the adverb 分けて, it’s the normal verb 分ける, to split up, to divide.
My interpretation: There are roughly (lit. roughly divided (分ける)) two forms of residency/two ways of becoming a resident/intern (?) in the university hospital.
Not sure on all the medical terminology, just wanted to comment on 分ける.

1 Like

So 大きく分けて2つある is the same as 2つの大きく分けるのことがある ?

Interpretation ②
《ひとつ目は最初『から』ひとつの科『に』所属しそこ『で』集中して学ぶストレート方式》

First off, ひとつ can mean one but considering there are two ひとつ In the sentence, I will take the meaning of “for one thing” as it would fit nicely since he’s talking about two important things.

ひとつ目はち『から』is probably the first important thing and 』ひとつの科『に』所属しそこ『で』is probably the second thing but we’ll find out soon enough.

Let’s deal with the first important thing. I recognise 『から』as “from” and 目 as “eye”. I’d better be careful and check if there can’t be other meanings for 目. My suspicious is founded as there are quite a few:

最初【さいしょ】(n.) beginning, outset;
So: “One thing” + “eye” is the topic marked by 『は』+ 最初 “onset”… hmm, not very fruitful. I need more information to understand. Let’s see what the rest of the sentence has to offer.

ひとつ again linked with 『の』to 科【か】(n.) department, faculty, so the second thing is related to the faculty maybe? We’ll see. 『に』comes after but at this point I don’t know what comes after so I’m not sure what it does although I’ll keep its many possible functions in mind.

所属【しょぞく】is a 〜する verb which means belonging to a group. I thought that maybe 所属しそこ was する form I wasn’t familiar with. If I looked at the possible inflections of しそこ I can’t find one which fits. しそ can also mean the noun “founder” but I doubt it’s noun affixed to 所属. Hmm, got myself in a bit of a pickle there. Let’s keep going.

『で』a way of action, or a place an action is done. Since we’re talking about the action of belonging to a group, I would think it’s a manner of action.

集中して, 〜する verb, 集中【しゅうちゅう】means to focus in the 〜て form. The 〜て form here is linking with what comes next.

学ぶ【まなぶ】五段 v., to study (in depth); Let’s see what the rest does:
ストレート(straightforward)方式(method).

Hmm! Not quite sure yet, am I along the right track?

Oh wow then I’d be wrong in my understanding.

め/目 after a number turns a cardinal number into an ordinal number.
ひとつ: one    →   ひとつめ: the first

Which also fits into the context as the sentence before talks about how the methods for residency can be split up into two. This sentence is now explaining the first method.

所属する is a verb that takes に. 〜に所属する means to belong to, being part of
(ひとつの科に所属する: belonging to one department)

This might be more easily understood when you put in a comma:
ひとつの科に所属し、そこで集中して学ぶ

It is indeed する, conjugated into the stem form/continuative form which is similar to the て-form.

1 Like

I can’t really think of a natural sounding way to reword this; maybe something like
〜は大きく二つに分けられる。 can be roughly divided into two.

1 Like

所属しそこ

that one was hard for me…

But after some reflexion, I think it is

(ひとつの科に所属しそこ)で

• で : particle for place of action (where 集中する is being done)
  • そこ : there (near listener, or in the mind of the listerner (eg, recently recalled)
  • which そこ exactly ? one qualified by 所属する
  • the thing to wich the place is attached to is marked with the purpose particle に : ひとつの科に = to one section/department.
1 Like

Ah ha!! Eureka! Stick around, Myria, we need a 先生!

ひとつの科

If ひとつ目 means “first” and we’re listing 2 things, what is the function of this second ひとつ? I would think 二つ目 is logically “second”. Does this mean that this passage only talks about the first of the two important elements?

Exactly :slight_smile:
It’s like “The first method (ひとつ目は) is to choose one department (ひとつの科), join the department (所属), and focus on that; that’s the ‘straightforward method’ (ストレート方式)” (roughly, I hope that explains how the parts work together)

2 Likes

Ok but how does it relate to becoming an intern like you said in your previous reply? Two things are important to become an intern at the university hospital. The first thing is to choose a department, like cardiology and focus on it? Is that it?

I’ll claim D, I have to step out for an hour or two but I’ll have mine done when I come back.

《もうひとつは2年間どこの科を回ってもよいスーパーローテート方式だ》

もう : further; more; again; another; the other
ひとつ : one (thing)
2年間(にねんかん): two years (of time)
どこ : where
科(か): department; section
回す(まわす): to turn; to rotate; to move (someone or something to where its needed); to send; to bring; to transfer; to forward; to direct; to submit
スーパー : Super
ローテート : Rotate
方式(方式): form; method; system; formula

2 Likes

I’ll claim D. I guess we’ll find out what the second important thing is.

Edit: claimed by @ToastedRice

《もうひとつ2年間どこ『の』科『を』回ってもないスーバーローテート方式だ》

Oops, we posted at the same time! No worries, I’ll take E.

I don’t really know how becoming a doctor / being an intern works, but I think this is already at the stage where you are working at the hospital? Or probably working at the hospital while taking university classes? And the first option is like pick a department of the hospital, like cardiology, and stay there the whole time and work in that department and learn all about it.

I probably should have said there are two kinds of interns, or two ways of doing your internship, rather than two ways of becoming an intern.

Edit: think this also becomes clearer as you read on, but it’s more in the sense of “there are two possible paths to pick from” rather than “there are two important things everyone has to do”

1 Like