Would this be correct? and if so could someone maybe give me other examples of proper sentence form in Japanese?

あなたは気に入りますか

I am starting to be more interested in writing proper Japanese as a structured sentence or question, but when learning a new language without much help around you, it can be kinda hard to know for sure. I was wondering if anyone could help me out, give me some tips and possible examples?

2 Likes

You will have plenty of example sentences in the tatoeba project.

Tatoeba: 多言語例文プロジェクト

2 Likes

Thank you!

I would still be a bit wary of sentences from Tatoeba, as anyone can submit sentences there. It may or may not get checked by a native or an experienced speaker :man_shrugging:.

あなたは sounds like your asking if someone pleased themselves and it just doesn’t really make sense. Also, it should probably be past tense, or you’re asking if someone will be pleased in the future.

I feel like this should be あなたの気に入りましたか as 気 is a noun.

I’d recommend posting these kinds of questions in the short grammar questions thread, or taking part in the threads in the beginners japanese only thread, where you can write sentences based on a topic and get it checked properly by staff…(seriously this is probably a way better option for getting practice and good corrections than asking us is :sweat_smile: )

1 Like

For possible tips I think the best thing is to look at native material. There are things like Satori Reader which gives you small paragraphs to read through and then gives pretty detailed explanations of the sentence including describing how a particle is being used. If you want more formal I believe they have some reading options that are news articles. I think there are also other similar systems out there! I think just getting general exposure to native material and having to figure out why they used a certain particle in one place and this specific word etc allows you to begin to recognize patterns and really forces you to think, which eventually will make it a lot easier to write sentences.

There’s also lots of supplementary books you can buy on sentence structure/ sentence patterns if you find it to be a weak point and want an additional workbook outside your textbook’s. I also like the suggestion by @theghostofdenzo! The beginners Japanese thread is pretty great for this kind of stuff!

1 Like

It helps if you give an English version of what you’re trying to say, because there’s nothing inherently wrong grammatically with the structure of the sentence you made, but as was already pointed out, it’s probably not a natural sentence, and there’s no way for us to know if it matches what you intended it to match.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.