Words that can't be expressed well in WKs short definitions

Hey guys! I came across a word whose meaning can’t be expressed well by WK’s short one or two word definitions, but when I looked it up I thought the meaning was so interesting I wanted to share.

The word is 悪趣味 and the definition is “a bad habit.” However, I looked up the word in a Japanese dictionary and I go the following result (translated to English):

1. Unrefined tastes/preferences. 「悪趣味な服装」
  2. A personality or attitude in which one takes pleasure in intentionally irritating people. 「悪趣味な冗談」

Definition 2 I thought was most interesting. What a cool word! To think I almost missed out on this interesting meaning because it can’t be expressed well in a WK friendly definition.

Have you come across words like this? Post your favorite examples!

6 Likes

Yes that second one is so good! I know a couple people like that. (I am that person sometimes, towards my little sister mostly)

2 Likes

Well, 悪趣味 was indeed frustrating, since my first reflex was always to enter “bad taste” on WK, which isn’t wasn’t accepted. That being said I almost always caught myself before it was too late.
Other than that, お疲れ様 being translated as “thank you” is quite terrible.

3 Likes

It is (now anyway.)

1 Like

Nice! That’s good to know. :slight_smile:

未遂 is described as “attempt” and the other day I discovered it’s more like “failed attempt” (suicide, crime, etc).

3 Likes

According to the dictionary it’s even “failed attempt at doing something bad:rofl:

Summary

悪い事をやりかけたが、結果的には目的を達成しなかったこと。

4 Likes

To be fair, we do use attempt in the same way in English, just with other broader connotations as well.

殺人未遂 attempted murder. In English that attempted means the person you tried to kill is still alive, even though in some sense you can say a person attempts to murder someone when they actually murder them too.

2 Likes

Jisho gives 1. thank you; many thanks; much appreciated​, 2. that’s enough for today​, as definitions for that word. Is there another way it could be translated?

#2: fitting description of my youngest son! I will remember this the next time he is bugging his brother or myself.

It can’t really be translated at all. お疲れ様 is お疲れ様.
I feel “thank you” could be an equivalent (not a translation) if it’s understood as “thank you for your hard work” or something like that.
On top of definition 2, there’s another usage for the word when you leave work. Others are still working, so it’s a bit weird to translate it as “that’s enough for today”.

EDIT: I meant that it’s a culture-based idiom. You need to take the shared culture into account to express what it means. I don’t think anything less than a paragraph (or direct experience) can give it justice.

EDIT2: A quick google search gave me this random link. I did not read it in details, though:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.